PDA

View Full Version : At what age did your DC begin/plan to begin nursery school/preschool?

niccig
11-07-2006, 05:15 PM
Today 2 playgroup mums were talking, one thinks she'll homeschool so they're not doing preschool, and the either thinks around 4 as anything earlier is too young. Both also said that the expense is something they can't afford - preschools are very expensive here, and in past conversations they both have said they don't see the value in preschool as they didn't go when they were children and they are SAHM.

DS will go to preschool, but the conversation has me thinking about the right age to start him. We were planing on 2.5 - 3 depending on vacancies at the school he's enrolled in. A preschool teacher, another mum-friend, said it would be a good age for DS. I know of 2 girls who started at the same age DS will be, both are very shy/careful whereas my DS is the opposite, and both these girls love school and adjusted within a few weeks. So that makes me think that DS will be fine. He's a very curious child that is very busy. The preschool is play-oriented and he started playing when we visited. He'll start at 3 mornings and move to 3/4 days over time.

So, what age did your DC start a preschool/nursery school program?

Nicci

schums
11-07-2006, 05:20 PM
We put DS in a 4 year old program, and he turned 4 before school started. DD will be in the same program next year. Everyone here told me that most of the 3 year old programs in this area were primarily for socialization, and my kids are about the most social you'd meet, so we decided not to do the 3yo programs. Money was a bit of a factor, but if I'd thought they needed school, I would have spent the $$ in a heartbeat. Half of DS's class started with the 4yo program.

Sarah
Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)

VClute
11-07-2006, 05:20 PM
DH is only 20 months old now, but goes to Mothers Morning Out one day a week. He'll start preschool (we just need to decide two days a week or three) next fall, when he's 2 1/2.

Amy in NC
mom to Dixon, born 2/14/05
...and a sequel! Due 3/30/07

JFC
11-07-2006, 05:59 PM
DS started at 2 in a 2 day/week program. It was great - he "learned" a lot - by that I mean, while he has always been social, he learned and is continuing in his 3 year old class to learn social skills - sharing, listening, presenting, feeling confident in transitions w/o a parent, etc. Plus, they do projects and things that I, as a caregiver w/o an educational background, would have never thought of.

Personally, I never thought I'd send DS to preschool before age 4, but I'm so glad I did! DH and I both say all the time that it is one of the BEST things we've done for DS (and I'm enjoying the few hours of me time!).

I think that every child and every family is different - if you think your DC is ready for preschool, he likely is. Plus, most teachers know how to help through that transition. Good luck! I hope your preschool experience is as wonderful as ours has been so far!

SnuggleBuggles
11-07-2006, 08:15 PM
I think that unless they will turn 3 during the school year it is too early to start them. I can see a one day a week program so that mom or dad can have some time for errands and such.

The way I see it is playdates and outtings can easily fill the social void of preschool until age 3. To me that is what preschool is for at that age, socializing.

Cost was a factor for me...I had no desire to pay for 3 years of preschool.

Beth

wolverine2
11-07-2006, 08:21 PM
I was wondering this too.
DS will be 2.10 next September, and we're starting to look into programs, but feel in no rush, since we've got 3 years before Kindergarten. However, DH is a SAHD, and doesn't really like to hang out with all the mother's groups, so DS doesn't spend a lot of time with other kids. I think if we do start next September, our goals will be primarily social. We'd love to find something for just a couple mornings a week, but many preschools around here are at least 3x/week for a whole day. We're not quite ready for that yet, plus it's way too much $$ to spend when we don't actually need daycare.

tarahsolazy
11-07-2006, 09:22 PM
DS started at about 28 months. He goes to a mixed age, 2-6 year old daycare with a preschool curriculum. Most of the kids are there full time, but Fory goes 3 hours a day, 5 days a week. He has a blast, and I love the mixed age thing, he gets to play with lots of older kids, who really take on a helper/mentor role with the littler ones.

My DH is a SAHD, but I think both he and DS like the time apart.

I am planning on switching him to a Montessori next year, which will be the same amount of time, and mixed age, but more structured.

I'm lucky that I live in the sticks. This stuff is actually within our budget.

tarahsolazy
11-07-2006, 09:26 PM
One of the main reasons for a real program at this age for my DS was the SAHD factor, too. My DH doesn't do playgroups or classes or anything with DS, and all of our friends have no kids. So, DS was exposed to NO other children. Its been fun to see him learn to really play with other kids. Now he'll run right into ad hoc groups of kids at the park or library, where previously he seemed to not get it.

C99
11-07-2006, 10:54 PM
Nathaniel started MDO 4 hours day/2 days/week at 2.5y. He's still in that program this year, and he'll go into preschool at 4.5y.

lisams
11-08-2006, 12:51 AM
DD started preschool at a few months shy of 4. She'll have 2 years of preschool before she starts kindergarten.

niccig
11-08-2006, 03:05 AM
Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences. DH had a few good reasons for why starting DS as we planned is right for him. Some of you had the same reasons. I do think DS will have a blast, he's such a curious child and soaks up everything. And as DH pointed out, if it's not right for DS we can always change our minds.

Nicci

JBaxter
11-08-2006, 06:31 AM
Nathan is enrolled in the preprimary montessori program for 2-3's. They offer 2 day 3 day or 5 day programs for that age. I would not have sent him this year except for his speech issues. I think he is doing better because he must use his words and Im not there for his safty net. ( he goes thurs and fri's from 830 to 1130)

My older boys went to a 2 morning a went 2 mornings at 3 and 3 mornings at 4. They all have loved their preschools ( so far)

DebbieJ
11-08-2006, 09:45 AM
DS went to Mother's Day Out for 3 hours once a week last year. He was 21 months when he started. I enrolled him more for ME than for him. I needed a break! He ended up LOVING it so it was a good choice. This year I signed him up for two mornings a week, but starting this week he will be going 1 morning (3 hours) and 1 day (6 hours) a week. They had an opening, he loves it, and I get even more of a break! I now work from home, so it is perfect for us.

Most of the true preschools here require that children are 3 yo and that they are potty trained, so we'll do that next year.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

holliam
11-08-2006, 10:07 AM
Interesting. My DH is a SAHD but he totally does all the playgroups and classes. I can't even count the number of different playgroups he is in! We have memberships to everything around us, museums, zoos, etc. He runs into moms who know him every time he leaves the house. A big bearded curly headed redhead SAHD with a hispanic girly is a pretty hard combo to miss. ;) There are a handful of other local SAHD but they can't seem to organize themselves.

Maybe I just didn't give DH a choice. I told him if he wanted to be a SAHD, he had to get it together to do things with her.

We are planning on homeschooling so this is good practice for them both.

Holli

SnuggleBuggles
11-08-2006, 11:00 AM
In college I took class from the director of the university's preschool program. Her advice was to look for schools that don't require a certain age for PT'ing because they will be more in tune with the developmental aspect and the individuality of the child. That seemed to be true in my research of the options in my city. I know that was totally unsolicited and off topic. I have no idea why that is such a key thing to me. I know everyone doesn't put the same weight on things as I do. Feel free and ignore me. :)

For the parents who haven't started a program yet, have you looked into classes at places like the zoo, museums...? I found those to be a really fun way to get out of the house ans exposed to new things when ds was littler.

Beth

laretce6
11-08-2006, 11:14 AM
DD is just over two and started MMO one day/week for 3 hours at a local preschool just a few weeks ago. In all honestly it's more for my sanity than anything. I'll start twice weekly non-stress testing in a few weeks and I'd like to only have to drag her to one appointment per week. :-)

We will probably be homeschooling if we stay in our current area, but I may still send her to preschool next year as to me it's more for the socialization since we're doing fine already "schooling" her at home (as much schooling as 2 year old needs which isn't much IMO).

Caroline
Mama to Eleanor Katherine 8.2.04
and baby sister arrivng 2.2007

niccig
11-08-2006, 12:09 PM
I agree re. PTing. The school we've choosen doesn't have that requirement. I didn't want any pressure on DS or us. He'll be ready when he's ready.

tarahsolazy
11-08-2006, 12:16 PM
Well, my guy is a redhead too! He takes DS out a lot, but usually hiking/geocaching, to the museum, local state parks, nature center, etc. But DH has never been a really casually social guy, so I didn't expect the playgroup thing.

Just so you wouldn't think they sit in the house all day, every day, lol!

DebbieJ
11-08-2006, 12:54 PM
>In college I took class from the director of the university's
>preschool program. Her advice was to look for schools that
>don't require a certain age for PT'ing because they will be
>more in tune with the developmental aspect and the
>individuality of the child. That seemed to be true in my
>research of the options in my city. I know that was totally
>unsolicited and off topic. I have no idea why that is such a
>key thing to me. I know everyone doesn't put the same weight
>on things as I do. Feel free and ignore me. :)
>

Oh, I hear ya! But it seems that ALL the programs around here require it. Which would explain why preschool classes are mostly full of girls these days...

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

holliam
11-08-2006, 01:37 PM
LOL! DH was SUCH an introvert when I first met him. Mari is pretty outgoing so he has really had to expand his world for her. She wakes up every morning now and says: "See friends 'day?"

He's pretty much turned into being able to hang out with other moms better than I can!

Holli

KBecks
11-08-2006, 01:49 PM
Alek just turned 2, but I'm more in the camp towards waiting to begin school, for a lot of the same reasons your friends mentioned. We want to save money, we want the boys to not be burdened with school too young, and honestly, I want to teach him some things myself, it will be fun.

That said, we'll take a look at our options when he's approaching 4 and possibly get him in something where he has exposure to a classroom. I sort of like the idea of him doing other learning things though instead -- maybe suzuki violin or soccer, or dance or karate.

We do currently go to a Musikgarten class and library story time,and playgroups so he is getting a little exposure to teachers and following very basic directions, like "sit down" and "put the scarves away." :)

KBecks
11-08-2006, 01:52 PM
You guys are making me want a redheaded baby. :)

momofjandl
11-08-2006, 02:00 PM
I wanted to share my side of the story.

I had not planned on enrolling my boys (now 3 and 2) into preschool until they were 4. However a friend had a neighbor who is a co-op (parent involved) director at a preschool so we both signed our kids up.

My 2 year old, who will be 3 in July is doing great. He is a little more on the outgoing side. But he loves school and has fun.

My 3 year old, who will be 4 in Feb, is shy and having a really tough time. Had he gone last year he would be much better off. Had I waited until 4, well...you never know-kids change...but I fear that he'd be where he is now. So I feel that this year is giving him a leg up.

So I guess age plays a role in some ways but also who your child is is really important as well. It's also important to me to have some down time. The boys are 17 months apart and I'm a SAHM so I've spent the last 3 years completely immersed in them and have forgotten about myself.

So as selfish as it sounds...now I have a little time to go to the gym and feel better about myself and also do some writing. And the boys get social interaction without me, which is very different from a play date where I am there. If that makes sense.

Just a thought!
Ruth