PDA

View Full Version : OT - when do turkeys go on sale?

Jenn98
11-17-2006, 03:18 PM
I know this should go in the cooking forum, but I need some quick BTDT advice. We are not hosting Thanksgiving, so I don't need a turkey for the actual day, but I was hoping to get my hands on a turkey or two for the freezer. Should I buy them in the few days leading up to turkey day or should I wait until right after? Will they be picked over by then? When do your grocery stores usually have them on sale? TIA

DebbieJ
11-17-2006, 05:27 PM
I got a 19 pounder for $9 today. Our store had a coupon for an additional $6 off a turkey with a $20 purchase, so that's what I did. And I'm not hosting either. :)

GO NOW!!

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

gisele
11-17-2006, 05:50 PM
I bought a 13 pounder for $6 at Safeway. You could also get a 16+ pounder for $8. It's not for Thanksgiving, but I got it because of the price.

Melanie
11-20-2006, 12:00 AM
Anyone know how early is too early to buy a FRESH turkey? My TJs said they were getting them on Saturday but that seems like it'd be really old by Thursday, wouldn't it? And to buy it fresh then freeze it then thaw it seems to defeat the purpose of buying fresh.

JoyNChrist
11-20-2006, 03:00 AM
Just out of curiosity, where does one buy a fresh turkey? I've never seen them advertised anywhere around here...

We usually shoot our own turkey for Thanksgiving (I know, we're SO redneck), but DH didn't buy his turkey license this year, so that option's out. And a frozen turkey just doesn't seem as appealing.

Melanie
11-20-2006, 03:29 AM
I was planning on going to Trader Joe's, but now I'm wondering if they are only getting them one day (they didn't say that, just wondering) if they'd be sold out by the time I go.