PDA

View Full Version : If you live in a cold area, how often do use your backyard?

JulieL
11-18-2006, 10:38 AM
I'm contemplateing moving to Colorado and the legistics of what that would mean. Many of the homes seem small not much bigger than our apartment (for what we can afford), maybe adding just one extra room that what we already have. But the upside is we would have a small backyard. What I'm trying to think about is how much is that back yard going to make my daily life better, thinking of the whole year in perspective. I won't know how much my kids will want to play out in the cold and/or snow till we are there, so I can't bank on the idea they will for sure use it in winter much. Any thoughts here? How much do you use your backyard.

I'm just not sure sacrificing a larger home w/a backyard in another town is worth it to me. Any thoughts would be great!

blueeyedb
11-18-2006, 10:55 AM
What part of CO are you thinking of moving to? I live in northern Colorado and the weather here is pretty mild. I'm sure you've found this out during your research, but we have something like 300 sunny days every year. That's more sun than Miami!

As I'm typing it is about 45 degrees and sunny outside, so we could easily be out and about at the park. We don't use our backyard very much, but that's because we are in the process of landscaping and it is a total disaster. Our neighbors have two DDs and they use their backyard every day. My parents (who live very close to me) have coffee or cocktails on their deck just about every day and we are planning on having a BBQ at their house for DS's B-Day on Dec 1st.

If you have any other questions about CO, feel free to email or pm me, I'd love to help.

JulieL
11-18-2006, 11:30 AM
Aurora, Centennial, Westminster, Thorton - and if an amazing deal come up Englewood and Littleon. I'm working with a realtor, and am just trying to be more specific in what I would want , and to see if it's possible there.

Ok, question, how about from December - March do you still use your backyard much then? Because in St. Louis it's 45-50 right now, and doable. But come December it'll drop to 30-40 and DS really hasn't been into going to the park to play when it gets that cold. And if it's not snowing (which it doesn't much here, think last year we only had 1 or 2 days you could actually sled) outside play wasn't really part of our life, even though we live 3 blocks from a park.

So I'm just trying to get an idea about colder areas, as I know children do adapt to their surroundings.

momofmany
11-18-2006, 11:31 AM
I live in MN - a colder climate and we use our backyard all the time. We even live near the park and my children are in our yard year round. We have a patio and deck, but really, I'd say get a yard. it is so useful and you will appreciate the chance for your children to play outdoors at your home. Also, your children will adapt to the winter and embrace it. There is nothing like a snowfall to bring them outside to make a snowperson and play in it. Good luck!

mamicka
11-18-2006, 11:36 AM
We're just south of Littleton & we use our yard *all the time*. We'd use it even more if it weren't a walk-out. If history is any predictor of the future, there will be very few days this winter that my kids won't play outside due to the weather. Even when it gets "colder", most days it will warm up enough to play outside pleasantly.

We'd love to have you here in CO, Julie!

Allison

blueeyedb
11-18-2006, 11:43 AM
Okay, so the areas you are thinking of will have really similar weather to where I live.

From Dec-March, I think there's about a 50-50 chance that we'll be outside on any given day. Most days during those months, it's pretty mild (I think low to mid 40s is pretty typical). If it does snow, the snow is usually melted and gone by the next day.

March is probably the worst (and my personal least favorite month) because it is snowy, but mild so everything is slushy and dirty. Hopefully that answers your question a bit more specifically.

JulieL
11-18-2006, 12:03 PM
I just pm'd you!

C99
11-18-2006, 12:37 PM
I live in Chicago. We use our backyard daily from May - September and sporadically from October - December and March - April. In the true winter months, unless there is snow, we don't use it that much.

jenmcadams
11-18-2006, 03:46 PM
Julie -

You've gotten lots of great replies, but just my two cents...

I live in Golden (a suburb west of denver), so very close to where you're talking about living. I would guess we're outside at least 50% of the days in the winter. If not in our backyard, we're at the zoo or a local park. While the mountains get tons of snow, Denver itself doesn't have extreme winters. We definitely get snow, but we frequently have a snowstorm followed almost immediately by mild (55+ degrees in January and February is not unusual). Snow melts quickly here (most of the time in a day or two) and there are only a few times during the year where the snow stays on the ground longer than 3-4 days. I am/used to be a cyclist and I frequently go for long (2-3 hour) rides in the middle of winter.

I hope you move here! Let me know if you have questions about specific neighborhoods, towns, etc.

hannah
11-18-2006, 05:02 PM
I am also in CO, south of Littleton. We are outside all the time. As the other posters have said temps are mild. Snow doesn't stick around for more than 2-3 days. I remember being outside last winter in Fedbruary when it was 70-75 degrees. So a backyard is important. But on the flip side there are parks everywhere out here so you can always take the kiddos there to play. Let me know if you have any questions. I am a new transplant to CO from MA (have been here 1 year) but am happy to try to answer questions.
Good luck in your search!

mamicka
11-18-2006, 06:21 PM
Welcome to CO, Hannah!

Allison