PDA

View Full Version : WWYD: Someone vandalized my car

mommyoftwo
11-19-2006, 10:31 AM
My husband just called me from work to let me know that when he went out this morning, someone had spray painted KKK on my car in red spray paint. I have no idea why anyone would do that as we are not african american nor have we done anything that would upset the african american community. I don't know if this is just kids being stupid or if someone got the wrong house as we have neighbors across the street and neighbors two doors down who are african american. DH was able to scrub off the KKK part but there is still spray paint all over the back of my car. Should I report it to the police? I'm figuring there isn't much they can do about it and DH already removed part of the evidence. I'm mad about my car but honestly I'm a little freaked out about the KKK thing. Any advice? Oh, we get along very well with all of our neighbors so no problems there.

bubbaray
11-19-2006, 10:34 AM
I'd report it. That would freak me out!

Hugs

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

http://bd.lilypie.com/SasRm7.png

MarisaSF
11-19-2006, 10:34 AM
I would have reported it to the police as a hate crime for sure.

mommyoftwo
11-19-2006, 10:35 AM
Yeah, I am kinda freaked out. I just wish my husband wasn't on call tonight because I have to deal with this myself.

mommyoftwo
11-19-2006, 10:36 AM
Is it a hate crime if there is no reason to do that to us?

dr mom
11-19-2006, 10:43 AM
I looked up a definition: "Hate crimes are violent crimes, hate speech or vandalism, motivated by feelings of enmity against an identifiable social group."

So I would say, yes, since spray-painting KKK on a car invokes what the Klan stands for: white supremacy, anti-Semitism, racism, and homophobia.

Just because you don't belong to one of these groups doesn't make it any less hateful. And your neighbors who are African-American are still being exposed to the message...the same would be true if it were spray-painted in a public space. It's still vandalism, and it's still hateful and wrong.

That said, it's unlikely that the police will catch the perpetrators, but you could certainly request that they step up patrols in your area at night. You might even consider taking a photo of the damage and putting up flyers or leaving them in neighbor's mailboxes to let them know what happened and ask them to be on the lookout for suspicious activity. Finally, if you have a neighborhood watch, they should be notified.

Sorry that happened to you. :(

amp
11-19-2006, 10:47 AM
I would definitely report it. They may or may not be able to do much at this point, but if it keeps happening, or happens to others, it will be nice to have a paper trail. Let the police decide what, if anything, they can do about it. That's what they do. Sorry that happened to you. That would be unnerving!

mommyoftwo
11-19-2006, 10:52 AM
Well, I just called the police and they are on their way to take a report. I don't expect they will catch whoever did it but I will feel better knowing that there is a paper trail should this happen again. I'm hoping and praying that this was just a stupid prank but honestly, I'm a little scared. I'll let you know what the police say.

ETA: I just talked to the police who took a report. A detective will be calling me. The police woman said that as she was turning the corner to our street she saw a car with red spray paint that was white (ours is silver) that had the N word spray painted on it. So there is at least one other person who was hit. She was going to go their house and take a report. There may be others as well. I'm alone tonight and I asked if there was any reason to be scared. She said they would put a police watch on our house tonight just in case and to call if I was worried for any reason even if it turned out to be nothing. I do feel a lot better knowing that they will be watching over me tonight. We'll see what happens and I'll keep you updated. The good news is that the spray paint seems to be coming off fairly easily.

alexsmommy
11-19-2006, 11:10 AM
As an African-American, I wanted to suggest you also tell your AA neighbors what happened. If something like that happened in my neigborhood I would hope I would be informed so I could be more aware coming in at night, being alone etc. This happened to good friends (interracial couple) where something directed at them was done to their (white) neighbors house. They were very appreciative that the neigbor called the police and immediately came over and told them. Again, sorry this happened. Hopefully it was ignorant teens who don't understand the full implications of what they've done.
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

mommyoftwo
11-19-2006, 11:16 AM
Thank you for your response. I will let our neighbors know so that they are aware. I was wondering if I should do that so it is helpful to have someone suggest that.

Roleysmom
11-19-2006, 12:09 PM
Jessica, I'm so glad that the police are taking this seriously. You have gotten great advice. I wanted to add one thing that hasn't been previously mentioned. Is there a Commission on Human Relations in your town or some type of committee against racism or hate crimes maybe through your Mayor's office or the Department of Human Services? If there is, I would report the incident to them as well. It could be that the police forwards these types of reports to such a commission, but I would go ahead and do it myself anyway. They should know about this and potentially could do some sensitivity trainings, etc. in the local schools and for the public in general. If such a thing doesn't exist at your local level, I would see if there is a statewide group to report to.

I would be so unnerved as well. Take care.

Paula
Mom to Roley Julia, January '02

mommyoftwo
11-19-2006, 12:13 PM
Interesting thought. How would I go about finding out that kind of information? I'm happy to do anything I can to try to stop this kind of behavior.

Wife_and_mommy
11-19-2006, 12:21 PM
nak you got grat advice. just wnted to say i'm sorry that happened. how scary.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

http://b1.lilypie.com/QQKqm4.png
http://b3.lilypie.com/UnbPm4.png

Fairy
11-19-2006, 12:28 PM
Wanted to agree with Alexmommy on this. If it were me, I'd tell everyone in my neighborhood that I knew, period, but especially anyone who is black, Jewish, openly gay, or anyone you feel can be viewed as a minority in the area. I had a serious problem with swastikas and anti-semitism in college, and I didn't handle it properly. The pro-staff in the dormitory didn't take any action, and I didn't push for that to happen. I also should have told everyone on my floor -- as I know who did it -- but I didn't, I just wanted to get out. Having something like that happen to you is awful, whether you're a targeted minority or just a random person (minority or otherwise) who happened to be the victim. Do NOT let this go, even if that means that all you do is tell people. I'm very glad you filed a report, and I'm so sorry about your car. -- Fairy

MelissaTC
11-19-2006, 12:28 PM
That would freak me out as well. I am glad you reported it. It is probably a bunch of kids pulling a prank. At least that is what seems to be the case around here when such things happen. I hope the police catch whoever did this because it certainly isn't funny.

elizabethkott
11-19-2006, 01:18 PM
That's just horrible!
Have you thought about possibly reporting it to a local news station? Around here, if something like that happens, it is almost always on the news. Making a big deal about it helps to raise awareness in the community as well as put people on alert to any weird activity going on that they might not ordinarily take notice of.

scoop22
11-19-2006, 01:29 PM
i don't have much advice but i wanted to say i am sorry you are going through this.. it is a horrible story. i was going to suggest when i first read your post to call the police.. the least they can do is watch your community a little closer. now that there is another case, it only gives them a reason to hang around a little bit. i don'tknow if you have a neighborhood watch or not. or if you and a few neighbors could get one together for a little bit.. that might keep your mind at ease. i will be thinking of you and hoping things don't get worse.
http://b2.lilypie.com/XbITm4.png

candybomiller
11-19-2006, 02:19 PM
Goodness Jessica, it's just pouring at your house, isn't it?

Other people offered some great advice, I just wanted to offer sympathy. It's ridiculous that people can be so stupid.

cmdunn1972
11-19-2006, 05:51 PM
I would definately report it as a hate crime, even if you think you were mistakenly targeted. Were you able to take photos of the "KKK" part before scrubbing it off?

Sorry you are dealing with this. :(

cmdunn1972
11-19-2006, 05:56 PM
The KKK has a strong history of anti-Catholicism as well. People tend to forget that! (Though, I don't feel like a minority where I live now.)

Hate crimes are horrible. As a human being, I feel really bad for anyone who's ever been victimized in that way!

mommyoftwo
11-19-2006, 05:56 PM
My husband didn't want the neighbors to see it and scrubbed it off at 6 this morning when he was headed to work. I wish he would have waited but I understand why he did it. The police definitely believed me because there was other spray paint still on the car plus they saw the other car that was vandalized. I don't imagine they will find out who did this but at least I've done what I can.

tarynsmum
11-19-2006, 06:14 PM
Oh Jess.

I can't imagine how freaked you must be (not trying to imply that this is at all the same, but one night, DH forgot to lock my car, and someone threw an old T-shirt in it: 1) my car is NEVER unlocked, so was someone watching and waiting for it to be unlocked? and 2) and old shirt? weird). I digress.

I'm really glad that you called the police and they are taking it seriously. I know that it'll be difficult to find the kids (and it's most likely kids) that did it, but at least it's on file if it ver happens again to someone else.

Once you get your car washed, you should make a trip to Pittsburgh to get your mind off all this ;)

((hugs mama))

mommyoftwo
11-19-2006, 06:17 PM
Absolutely. Lets make some plans. I'll pm you now.

ETA: That's really bizarre about the old shirt. Why would anyone do that?

alexsmommy
11-19-2006, 06:23 PM
I don't know how "close" your neighborhood is, but I would bet if that happened here, my neighbors would at least put a flyer on each house on the block. We don't all "know" each other, but I do trust that it would make people watch out a little more. I do know we live in a fairly progressive, integrated area though, and this would really upset and motivate people to watch out for one another. Also, I know that there is at least one person on our block who is not officially "out" so many people may not know he is gay and warn him as well so a general notice might be welcome in your area. Just a thought. I think if you tell people on your block, word will spread to the surrounding area. Also, it will remind people that if something like this happens to call the police before doing anything or at the very least, take a picture. I completely understand your DH's response - who wants that vile message associated with them? Many people would have the same response, but the police need to see the evidence just in case its a true hate crime and/or someone is targeting your neighborhood and strikes again. It may be ignorant teens, but sadly, it may not, it may have been someone who fully understood the message. Again, sorry this happened.
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

mommyoftwo
11-19-2006, 06:33 PM
We have only lived here a year so we certainly don't know all of our neighbors. I do know a few and they would be concerned about this kind of activity. I think I will follow your advice and make up a flyer for the people on our block. Hopefully the word will spread quickly especially since we weren't the only victims. I definitely understand my husbands actions especially since it was early in the morning (not even fully light yet) and he was probably not thinking through everything completely as he was not yet fully awake. However, if something like this happens again, I will make sure everything is documented fully. Again, I really appreciate your input about this.

Roleysmom
11-19-2006, 06:41 PM
Hi, Jessica. Does your town have a non-emergency 311 number? (You can tell I live in a big city from some of my thoughts. I'm not sure how many localities have that type of service number.) The 311 operators would know. Such a commission might be listed on your town's website, certainly your state government's website or in the government services section of the phone book. The local United Way might know as well.

I hope something like this never happens again.

Paula
Mom to Roley Julia, January '02

mommyoftwo
11-19-2006, 07:48 PM
I called one of my neighbors to let them know what happened and discovered that another house in our subdivision about a block away had the side of their house spraypainted in red spray paint. It says "Blood Z." I'm not sure what that means but I have to assume that the incidents are related because all three involved red spray paint. I'm seriously considering alerting the media because even if it is just teens pranking people, hopefully media awareness will make them less likely to do it again. Is that a good idea?

scoop22
11-19-2006, 08:05 PM
i am clueless when it comes to this. but when i read the latest about the house i instantly thought gang.. as for calling the media. it probably has its ups and downs. i would want people to be aware but at the same time you don't want to bring extra attention to it. i would think the police would have good advice when it comes to calling the media. i would keep in touch just to see how many other reports have been made. you have the right to know. if it continues i would ask about the media. HTH.. i don't know what i would do with you. you just want the best.
http://b2.lilypie.com/XbITm4.png

mommyoftwo
11-19-2006, 08:16 PM
Yeah, the house thing made me think gang too. I'll ask the police what they think about alerting the media when I talk to the detective. Once is supposed to be contacting me. I don't want to do something that will cause problems. I'm just trying to figure out the most appropriate way to handle things and to not let the vandalism frighten me in an way from reporting it etc.

gordo
11-19-2006, 08:30 PM
I am so sorry this happened to you but glad you reported it and alerted your neighbors. It is definitely a hate crime!

A similar thing happened to my dad a couple months ago. He left the house to go to work and someone had egged his car and left a note with anti-semetic comments (we are Jewish). Like your DH, my dad wasn't thinking (or apparently was worried about what the egg would do to his car) that he immmediately took a hose to it which then ruined the note on the car. As much as I tried to convince him, he did not report it to police. The weird thing is the car was parked on the street down the block from his house, not in his driveway.

cmdunn1972
11-19-2006, 10:24 PM
Yeah, I can totally see why your DH would want that stuff off the car! Your poor DH. What a way to start your morning! :(

I remember when I was in HS, a house down the street from ours got their foundation spray-painted with KKK. That wasn't so easy to remove. It was embarrassing to think that some of our neighbors were bigoted enough to do such a thing.

Melanie
11-19-2006, 11:34 PM
I would definitely report it.

That sucks.

Since you get along with your neighbors, you might want to go around asking them if they've seen anything and letting them know what happened.

ribbit1019
11-20-2006, 12:30 AM
Yuck! What is it with our cars huh? Geez, I hope they catch whoever did it. That is so wretched, hugs!!!

Christy
Wife to Richard
My Waterbabies
http://lilypie.com/pic/060928/Yw0w.jpg http://b3.lilypie.com/H-lkm5.png
http://lilypie.com/pic/060928/iBmU.jpg http://bf.lilypie.com/tkq-m5.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/steitzsmith/Other/jump.gif

punkrockmama
11-20-2006, 11:29 AM
Oh geez, what an awful and cowardly thing to do to someone. Any hate crime is disgusting (even gang kids pulling pranks). I'm sorry this happened to you and your neighborhood, I'm glad you reported it, and I hope that they catch whoever did this.