PDA

View Full Version : I bow down to all you single parents.

newnana
11-20-2006, 12:34 PM
Sorry I haven't been around much lately. DH has been traveling for work for the better part of a month. Thankfully he's been home on weekends.

DH and I have always marveled at how single parents do it, but now I am simply awestruck. I work full-time as does DH and we find it hard enough to make what little time with have with DD quality time as opposed to running around getting dinner ready or the house picked up and that's with 2 sets of adult hands.

I've always been appreciative with how much DH does (and he does a LOT around here, I'm one of the lucky ones), but I can't imagine having to consistently keep up with it all on my own.

On top if it just being me, both DD and I were sick the last week - DD had a fever that went up to 104.2 and was just laying on me- scary.

In summary, sorry for being scarce on the boards and a huge kudos to all you single mommy's and daddy's out there. I'm not worthy.
Michelle

megs4413
11-20-2006, 12:37 PM
Oh Michelle poor DD! Is she feeling better? How are you? I can't imagine being sick and taking care of a sick one all on my lonesome! I much agree that single parents really have the toughest job in the world!

kakohler
11-20-2006, 01:54 PM
Speaking as a single parent - thank you! My mantra is - do what I can and the rest can wait. If the dusting doesn't get done, or the toilet doesn't get cleaned every week, it's not a major tragedy. I put it on the to-do list - sometimes the to-do list get postponed, sometimes it doesn't. My focus is always to make sure that my sweet DS feels loved.

I'm extremely lucky to have a great support network of friends and family to help out when I've had problems. Like when my parents spent 2 weeks with us when I had knee surgery.

I sometimes wish that I had another adult around to help out when DS is sick or waking up int he middle of the night, but I would not trade off my experiences for anything. This has shown me how resilient and strong a person I am.

newnana
11-20-2006, 05:23 PM
Yeah, she's on Amoxicillin. Apparently on top of her asthma and crazy high fever she was starting an ear infection. Poor thing. And now the cutie is feeling better and running around like a little drunk- running into things because her ear is giving her vertigo. It's cracking her up, which cracks me up.
Thanks Megan!

newnana
11-20-2006, 05:27 PM
Funny thing is, that's our mantra as well. There is a lot we let slide.

We don't have family close to help, but when we're really in a pinch there are a couple people we can call that really help out. I'm glad you have a great network.

You go momma!