PDA

View Full Version : how does your 3 year old behave at the doctor's office?

crl
11-20-2006, 09:31 PM
So, DS was not great at the doctor's office today. Squirmy, perpetually begging to go home, a little uncooperative, etc. I know it's not fun, but I kind of thought he'd be able to manage a bit better by now. So I'm just wondering how other people's 3 year olds do?

(BTW, I brought favorite books, crayons, stickers and a notebook, and his toy cellphone so he wasn't devoid of things to do. He just mostly refused to do them, apparently whining was more fun. And while we did have to wait, it wasn't that long and it was mid-morning so he wasn't overly tired, not sick and he'd had a snack right before we went. . . . I really tried to set us up well.)

Thanks!

C99
11-20-2006, 09:50 PM
He's mostly fine. He gets a little antsy toward the end - I love my ped, but we usually have to wait a long time to see her - but is usually fine to play with the toys in the exam room.

JBaxter
11-20-2006, 10:46 PM
I'll let you know tomorrow Nathan goes for his 3yr check. He hasnt been in for a year!!

stefani
11-21-2006, 12:43 AM
DS went for his 3 year check up about 3 weeks ago. Let's see, he wouldn't stand still on the scale, nor on the height measurement station. Then it was time to check his eyes, he would not stand up (hanging on to DH's arms instead). "What is this?" "I don't know..." "Is this an apple?" "Yesss, it is an apple" "What is this?" (pointing to another apple) "I don't knooowww...", repeat, with some variations.

Then, in the exam room, he kept turning off the lights, tearing up the paper that is on the bed, up down whichever ways. "What's this?" "What for" for everything that the doctor has.

He was not fussy, but definitely a handful! He was only subdued after the vaccinations! Then the poor kid had a fever that night...

crl
11-21-2006, 12:11 PM
Thanks everyone! Sounds like there's a range of typical behavior and DS is at one extreme as usual. LOL.

tny915
11-21-2006, 12:41 PM
DD had her 3 year checkup yesterday as well. The nurse and I had to coax her onto the scale. She then refused to let us take off her shirt to get her blood pressure taken, then erupted in tears. More tears while getting her ears checked. More tears when we took off her pants and socks. She ran down the hall and jumped up and down as the dr requested, in tears. And then she got her shot. Yup, tears.

After all of this, she told grandma and grandpa, "I cried just a little bit, but I was brave!" She also said she liked the dr.

DD actually is handling these appointments progressively better as she gets older. She used to cry from start to finish, but yesterday she took little breaks from crying to talk to me and the dr, so if you can believe it, yesterday was definitely an improvement!

JBaxter
11-21-2006, 12:44 PM
UPdate ... He did great undressed himself , stood for measure and weight etc.