PDA

View Full Version : Sinus infection or cold? I can't tell anymore

LarsMal
11-27-2006, 05:44 PM
I have been fighting a nasty cold for over a week now. It started as your basic congestion/sore throat thing. We recently moved and don't have a primary care doctor yet. I went to one of those walk-in clinics for a strep test, and it was negative. I was starting to feel better and then WHAM- yesterday it all went downhill.

I haven't had a sinus infection since before I had my wisdom teeth out- over 10 years ago. I have a headach, pain in my eye and in my cheekbone- even my teeth hurt. Aren't those signs of a sinus infection?

Should I call my OB or go back to the walk-in place?

TIA!

Tondi G
11-27-2006, 06:49 PM
Could you call the walk in place??? It sure sounds like a sinus infection! You could always find a new doctor and see if they can see you tomorrow! I wouldn't want to be stuck in sicky season with no primary doctor!

Good Luck... hope you feel better SOON!

~Tondi

holliam
11-27-2006, 07:03 PM
I used to get them all the time so now when I get one I immediately know the point at which it switches from cold to sinus infection. Those are good indicators, esp. if it's a localized dental pain near the other pain. They always ask the color of the discharge. Yellowish/green typically further indicates an infection.

Good luck!

Holli

LarsMal
11-27-2006, 10:17 PM
I decided I couldn't take it anymore, so as soon as DH walked in from work tonight I headed out to the walk-in place. The doc I saw said I was describing a sinus infection to a tee. I got my Amox so I hope it kicks in quickly!

Thanks!

Aunt to sweet baby boy
11-28-2006, 12:55 AM
It sounded like a Sinus Infection to me, i am glad that you went to the dr. i hope the med starts to work very quickly.

How does the walk-in place work? You just go in, put your name down and the next available dr. sees you? Where did you find it? There are times when i would rather not have to fight with my Dr's office to get an appt so it sounds good, at least in theory.

Thanks

Ilana, aka Nana to my sweet nephew Avi

http://lilypie.com/pic/061128/V76Q.jpg[/img]http://b3.lilypie.com/wYA-m8/.png[/img][/url]

LarsMal
11-28-2006, 09:06 AM
The one in our area is called Patient First (www.patientfirst.com). A lot of people refer to them as "doc in the box". I had never been to one before- a little skeptical of the whole thing- but my husband had gone and claimed they were legit!

This particular place accepts our insurance, which is why I went there. You sign in, register, and then see the doc. They have a pharmacist on site, so I was able to walk out with my meds (which was great b/c the pharmacy was closed by the time I left). It's not always the fastest process, but I've waited longer in the doctor's office when I DID have an appt!

(You can look up a local clinic on-line.)

:) Julie

Fairy
11-28-2006, 10:07 AM
Pain in your cheekbone and teeth? SINUS INFECTION. Nasty, horrible bleuch. That stuff needs to be nipped in the bud if it goes on a long time. Call your OB.

DrSally
12-01-2006, 08:12 PM
Holli, your response inspired me to go to the doctor (a walk in place to fit in with DS's schedule). I was having a 9 day cold with aches and fever, cough, etc. with yellowish/green mucus. Well, it's bronchitis, my lungs have a lot of mucus and I've started antibiotics tonight. Wanted to thank you all for prompting me to not let this thing go on and on (like it did last year and I never got it treated!)