PDA

View Full Version : What goes on top of your Christmas Tree??

annasmom
11-28-2006, 11:04 AM
I just remembered this morning that I still don't have anything for the top of our Christmas tree. I have been using a gold bow for the past few years, but it is time for me to get something real for the top of the tree.

So, what is your tree topper?? Angel, star, or something else entirely?? Also, does anyone have any recommendations?? I would love to get something that we could have forever. TIA!!

dules
11-28-2006, 11:11 AM
We got the PBK Snowman topper last year. Super cute. I think they added a Santa this year too.

My mom always had an angel but I think my older sister has laid claim to her. :)

Mary

matthewsmom
11-28-2006, 11:14 AM
I'm also looking for a tree topper but not even sure if we have room. The tree (fake) is pretty much hitting our ceiling. Would also love to hear ideas also. I was wondering about the bow idea. Did you just tie it by yourself or was it a special bow? Thanks in advance.

schums
11-28-2006, 11:18 AM
Right now, we have a popsicle stick star with LOTS of glitter on the top of the tree. And DS couldn't be any prouder! He made it last year in the craft area at a Christmas tree lighting. Right now, for our tree, it's the perfect tree topper!

Sarah
Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)

lfp2n
11-28-2006, 11:27 AM
A plastic gorilla from the zoo riding in a gold sleigh- he's been a tradition for 12 years now, it started when we had our first tree and had no ornaments. He's really cute, I always pin a light to his head.

Lucy 3/03

ctmom
11-28-2006, 11:41 AM
we actually have two trees, one in our living room and a "kids" tree in the playroom. The one in the living room has an angel and the kids one has a star that my dd made.

HTH!

Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03

Lovingliv
11-28-2006, 11:55 AM
i would love a star for the top of my tree.

My mom is starting to "dole" out all the things from our childhood re: christmas....there is only one star with 7 kids (grown) wanting it. So, what do you do? My mom is getting smart...she is scouring ebay for this item! She says it's so we don't all fight over the original....pretty good idea if you ask me!

overcome
11-28-2006, 12:10 PM
A lighted angel...my mom and dad always have one, so I just followed the tradition.

octmom
11-28-2006, 12:17 PM
We had a gold PB star from a few years back that I have never liked much. I ordered this last week and it is scheduled for delivery today, so I will see if I like it more. http://christmastreehill.stores.yahoo.net/1522501.html

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/36670.jpg

Looks like they are out of stock now, but I think www.mistletoeandholly.com has them too. They are connected with www.oneofakindkid.com. I would have ordered from them, but they were out of stock when I was looking last week. I e-mailed and got a note back that they were gettign them back in stock (I had already ordered from Christmas Tree Hill) and that they were also getting a 20-light version.

Jerilyn
DS, 10/03
DD, 3/06

Ceepa
11-28-2006, 12:24 PM
want a photo! :)

-Ceepa

jeminaal
11-28-2006, 12:29 PM
We have a lighted angel on top of our tree.

Jeanette
(formerly known as jeanmick, member since Feb 2003)

DD Born Christmas Eve
DS Born Valentine's Day

annasmom
11-28-2006, 12:50 PM
The bow is a gold metallic bow that I made one year from some ribbon I had laying around. It was cute, but the bow has seen better days.

holliam
11-28-2006, 12:52 PM
We have several woodsy Santas. Some years we have multiple trees. This year just doing one child-safe one. Gonna let DD choose which Santa. She doesn't like Santa so not sure if any will make the cut. LOL

Holli

klwa
11-28-2006, 12:58 PM
We have a Madame Alexander angel on the top of ours. My mom swears she's really a Mary instead of an angel since her wings are actually a bow, but her official title was angel.
-Kris

candybomiller
11-28-2006, 01:01 PM
I don't know what to call what we put on top of the tree. It's ugly and we don't like it, but we got it as a gift 8 years ago and it's a tradition now. *shrug* It's actually grown on me now.

ETC: # of years

FiveLittleDucks
11-28-2006, 02:02 PM
We have a big, rustic tin star. I like it, but it doesn't really go with our new living room furniture/decor. At all.

fauve01
11-28-2006, 06:59 PM
we got a Belleek star as a wedding gift 13 years ago. We always stick a light into it so it sort of glows. I've been looking for another one for years for my parents who love Belleek, but I can't find one.

I hope DD makes me a fancy glitter star or angel or santa we can use instead like the PP. How cute would that be?? heeheehee :-)

edit to add link with photo (my star looks exactly like the one in the photo):
http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-IN-BOX-BELLEEK-STAR-TREE-TOPPER-SHAMROCKS_W0QQitemZ110057568431QQihZ001QQcategoryZ 2795QQcmdZViewItem

Anne + DD 10-03

kimbe
11-28-2006, 07:09 PM
A Minnie Mouse angel tops our tree.

bostonsmama
11-28-2006, 07:27 PM
Nothing. I just put all of my angel ornaments at the top of the tree (they're small, though). I just haven't found the perfect thing. It'll be either a star or an angel, though, since I'm trying to keep to my reason for the season.

My dad has a gorgeous Czech crystal spike on a ball blown glass topper. It's gorgeous. We got it when we lived in Germany. Maybe I'll wait until I go there this summer to get one (although it might be hard to find off-season).

Like this but in deep red:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1995-Glass-Tree-Topper-from-the-Czech-Republic_W0QQitemZ260038475510QQihZ016QQcategoryZ1 0940QQcmdZViewItem

My mom has done an angel every year for every tree, but this year her head finally fell off and she's in search of a new head (LOL!). She has a quilted angel for the country/red and white tree, velvet dress angel for the victorian tree, painted starfish for the coastal tree, and a big ole bow for the fiber optic tree.

Thatchermom
11-29-2006, 12:00 AM
That looks exactly like ours! I don't remember where my parents found them, but we grew up with one like that and they have given us each (3 kids) one as we moved out on our own. We love it.

elaineandmichaelsmommy
11-29-2006, 12:13 AM
We have an angel. Don't know who made her. My dad went on ebay and got one for each of the 4 (grown ) children. I like it but didn't put it up last year and i'm unsure of this year. She sits on a cloud of spun glass and the sunbursts behind her head are glass. I got a little burst in my finger a couple of years ago-ouch! But the angels name growing up was angie.
Last year we put up a more kid friendly angel.

Jen

octmom
11-29-2006, 07:14 AM
Mine was delivered yesterday and I think I like it now. Won't know for sure until it is lit on the tree.

I didn't specify this earlier, but it is made of capiz shell.

Jerilyn
DS, 10/03
DD, 3/06

Hippoharbor
11-29-2006, 07:33 AM
We have never placed anything on top of our artificial tree but I have been wanting to get an angel. I saw some in Target last week that looked really nice but happened to notice that there was a lead warning on the back of the box that stated "Electrical wiring has excess amount of lead in coating that exceeds California's standards. Please wash hands after handling" (or something to that effect). I did not buy this because I did not want to chance having it around DS. Now I am wondering how many other household products with coated electrical wiring has similar lead levels?!

Michelle

eb1
11-29-2006, 08:25 AM
Here's a thread from last year that discusses this issue:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=37&topic_id=269965&mode=full

HTH!

Wife_and_mommy
11-29-2006, 09:17 AM
I've been waiting/looking for the perfect topper for years.

We bought a new xmas tree this year. I bought a silver lighted star to go with it. It's nothing fancy but we'll have the memory that it came with our second new tree so that'll have to be sentimental enough.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

http://b1.lilypie.com/QQKqm4.png
http://b3.lilypie.com/UnbPm4.png