PDA

View Full Version : sleep problems...and it's ME not DD!

megs4413
11-28-2006, 11:10 PM
I have always been an EXTREMELY light sleeper and ever since I became a Mom it's even worse. I hear EVERYTHING and am up most of the night because of it. the biggest problem i'm having right now is with DH. If we go to bed at the same time, I can't fall asleep cause his breathing and moving and snoring is all too much for me to doze off with. If I go to bed before him I fall asleep very quickly and easily (like fifteen minutes) but then he wakes me up when he gets in bed. If he goes to sleep first I can't fall asleep because of his snoring. I don't want to sleep in another room, but it's going to come to that eventually! What should we do? I can't do ear plugs because I'm responsible for DD at night and soon our newborn DS (Dh does not help out with night wakings). I'm really getting frustrated. It's taking me between one and two hours to fall asleep every night and DD is still getting up one or two times a night (at the least) so i'm really not getting enough rest. any advice is appreciated! TIA!

Wife_and_mommy
11-28-2006, 11:20 PM
My first advice is to get lots of naps in while you still only have one child. That's #1!!!

How about a loud fan in your room so noises aren't so magnified? Other than that, I'd say sleep in separate rooms for a while so you can get some rest.

Another thing is to get dh checked out for the snoring. My dh snored until he had his tonsils taken out just before we were married. My mom even commented on the loudness of his snoring so it wasn't a small matter. :P

I hope you're able to get some rest. I'll say it again: TAKE NAPS while you still can!! Having two is a whole different ballgame than one dc.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

http://b1.lilypie.com/QQKqm4.png
http://b3.lilypie.com/UnbPm4.png

Hippoharbor
11-29-2006, 07:43 AM
OMG, it sounds like I wrote this post. I, too, have been a light sleeper for many years but was able to sleep in same bed as DH prior to DS being born; I think I was always so exhausted from work that I slept more soundly at night and his snoring did not disturb me as much. However, since DS has been born, I am not able to sleep with DH. I think part of the problem is that I am not as physically exhausted as I used to be from my previous job (even though motherhood has left me more emtionally drained) and I am even more of a light sleeper now that I have to listen for DS's night-wakings. I also think that his snoring has worsened since my pregancy because he gained some weight during my pregnancy, too.
Usually what happens in our house is that I go to bed prior to DH and can manage to stay asleep for a bit until his eventual snoring wakes me up. From that point on, I cannot fall back asleep in same bed. So, I either sleep on couch or move to DS's room (has an extra twin bed). Sleeping in DS's room is not that easy, either, because he occasionally awakens and is noisy sleeper, in general.
I am praying that we will eventually be able to sleep in the same bed again all night. I currently will try to go back to the bed early in the morning so that I am there when DH wakes up so we can still experience that closeness.
I know none of my story sounds positive, but wanted to let you know that you are not alone.

Michelle

coachkath
11-29-2006, 09:07 AM
My DD is almost a year old, and for the first 3 months she slept in her pack and play in the livingroom. In order for both of us to get sleep I went to bed about 8:30 and had a good 3 hrs before DH went to bed and I slept on the couch with DD.
When she transitioned to her room/crib - and coincidently started sleeping thru the night, I woke up at every noise. If the noise didn't wake me up, I dreamt that people were breaking into the house to steal the baby, etc. I think we are just wired differently when our children are young. So I napped. In fact, I'd love a nap right now...
I DID GET OVER IT though. It took a few months. I don't have the snoring problem, but since your DH gained weight, maybe you could kindly suggest he lose even 10 lbs, which would help. And I work for a wt loss co pt time and know that once men decide to lose weight, they can lose 10 lbs in a matter of a few weeks. It's annoying (for women), but true. He needs to do his part...if it is his snoring that is the problem, esp since the weight gain - maybe he can sleep elsewhere until he loses the weight (a good incentive).
Good luck. Sleep whenever you can.
My problem now is peeing. I'm an older first time mom and my bladder hasn't been the same since pregnancy. I wake up to pee at least once a night. I hate that. I feel like an old lady.
Kelly's old lady
Kathy (44)

newnana
11-29-2006, 09:17 AM
Oh Megan,
I feel for you. I have become such a light sleeper since DD was born. DH's snoring always was a problem, but now it is so much worse. Between his sympathy weight gain from my being pregnant and I would guess some scar tissue in his throat from constantly being sick since DD has been in daycare, his snoring rattles me to the core.

I've been going to bed at 9pm. Pathetic. But between waking up 4-5 times a night to pee since having DD, and of her wakings, and his snoring, I wasn't getting any sleep otherwise. The only good sleep I could get was from that 9pm until he came to bed. Most nights I end up heading downstairs to the couch after he comes to bed. I hate it. I would love to sleep with DH.

He asked me what I wanted for Christmas. I replied that I want him to go to the doctor and GET IT FIXED like he's been saying he would for the last year.

I'm a better wife and mother when I have more sleep. I wish I had advice for you. If we find a good doctor for this (our internal medicine guy is amazing, maybe he knows someone)here in town, I'd be happy to refer him to you.

Sorry I don't have any advice, but I feel your pain. I can't imagine how much worse you are sleeping than me since you are pregnant, though.
Michelle

dules
11-29-2006, 10:13 AM
You've got some great advice so far. My only other thought is about your bed/mattress. Some of the foam/latex/memory foam ones don't move when your partner moves around at night. It would not help with the noise but might help if movement bothers you - and would probably feel good to a pg back and legs too.

Good luck and I hope you get some rest.

Mary