PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma.... decisions

Tondi G
11-29-2006, 01:10 PM
I just got an email from the Charter School that Mason is on the waiting list for. There is a spot opening up in their Kindergarten and he is the next up on the waiting list! They want to know if we want the spot or not.

The pros to this school is that it is a Charter School, brand new this year.There are two kids from Mason's Preschool that are already enrolled there and as far as I know their parents are thrilled with the school. It is in a temporary location that is very close to us now. They most likely will move in the future and are looking in the area that is/could be approx 20 to 30 mins from us in traffic! Here is the site for the Charter School

http://www.losfelizarts.org/index.htm

The pros to the regular public school he is at now are

it is very close (8 blocks or so)
we know quite a few of the families now and like them very much
DH's best friends kids go to the school and live 2 blocks from there... they can pick Mason up for me when Aidan's nap runs over, in the case of an emergency etc.
It doesn't have the best API scores (795 out of 1000) but they are working on that... and what do scores really mean in elementary schools really????
The school has a really nice mix of nationalities/races
the parents are pretty involved and their principal seems to be very involved as well

I just don't know what to do??? I called and they are ready for him NOW. They said he could come and have a look at the school tomorrow and if he is there during recess he could take a look around a classroom too!
We asked Mason and he said yes he wants to go there.... do we let him decide if he wants to change schools?
If I wasn't happy so far with the school he is currently in I would switch him in a heartbeat and but his regular old public school really doesn't seem all that bad to me now! If he had been accepted right off the bat we probably would have started him in the Charter School! I hate to switch him right in the middle of the semester but they are not talking like it would be ok to wait till after christmas break! Oh and for what it's worth his current school day is from 8;16 am to 2:35 the Charter school is from 9:00 am till 1:30!

What would you do? Any advise or suggestions you have are greatly appreciated!!!! HELP! Thanks

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

KBecks
11-29-2006, 02:02 PM
it sounds like either choice will be good. remember there is no perfect answer. i lean toward trying the charter school, you have the public school as a backup if you need it and change your mind,
nak

MelissaTC
11-29-2006, 02:51 PM
It seems like you are really happy with your neighborhood school. I would lean towards keeping him there. Seems like you are leaning towards that as well. The other school seems cool though.

megs4413
11-29-2006, 03:16 PM
would the unique teaching approach be better for him, IYO? This really is a tough choice. Why does Mason want to go to the Charter School? How is he doing at his current school? Does he understand all the changes that would occur for him in school if he switched? he might not be able to fully appreciate that yet. I would take him for a visit for sure...how long do you have after the visit to make the decision?

I really don't think you can go wrong either way, but you might want to compare the curriculum of the magnet school with his current school to see what the real changes will be for him...

good luck! i'm glad he's surrounded with good options!

DebbieJ
11-29-2006, 03:20 PM
I would stay at your neighborhood school if you are happy with it. The charter school is enticing, but are you willing to commit the time to it? Are they going to move to Los Feliz to keep with their name?

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg