PDA

View Full Version : Think I am getting taken for a ride on ebay

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
12-01-2006, 10:03 PM
I purchased a Santa on ebay using "buy it now" for $50 today and paid immediately. I get an email back saying that she did not realize the Santa is actually a knock-off of the brand it was represented as being and that it only has a sticker on the bottom as opposed to being signed by the artist. I suspect she has seen that the very same Santa is selling on ebay right now and is at $67 or so with two days left and obviously will sell much higher. Or she is a very nice and honest person trying to do the right thing. Would I be completely out of line to ask for a photo of the bottom of the figurine?

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

MamaMolly
12-01-2006, 10:23 PM
Not inappropriate at all! You've paid for it, after all. And it doesn't hurt to check, just to be on the safe side. A little skepticism is a good thing.

Molly

overcome
12-01-2006, 10:44 PM
Hmmmm..I would be a bit wary of the whole thing. It might be easier to just ask for a refund and go back to ebay.

My DH is always totally suspicious of ppl on Ebay (eye roll). If it were him, he would request a refund and carefully watch what she sells and if it came back up for auction he'd email her and let her know he "caught" her.

What is her feedback rating?

GL

dules
12-01-2006, 10:54 PM
I think I'd ask for a refund too. Have you seen her recently completed auctions? How's her feedback?

Mary

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
12-02-2006, 12:03 AM
She has great feedback and she immediately sent my refund- without my even asking. If you could see the photos of the two items side by side-- well if one is a fake it is the best fake I have ever seen. I hate that it is part of my nature to assume the worst here but I am highly skeptical. I am going to ask for a photo and see what she says. Even if it is a fake I like it and would gladly buy it for a fair px.
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

nfowife
12-02-2006, 08:33 AM
I don't think it's out of line to ask for a pic. A few years ago I was selling a louis vuitton wallet someone gave my DH as a present (soooooo not his style). Well, in the course of the auction I did some research and realized it was a fake (it was a really good fake! The only tip off was that there were no serial numbers). I immediately ended the auction with a day left and had already had bidders so I had to explain to them what the deal was. I felt really bad about misrepresenting myself and it was one of the first times I had sold on ebay. Hopefully she is being sincere but I think you are not out of line to ask for the picture to know for sure.

KBecks
12-02-2006, 09:10 AM
Well, it is technically your Santa. Maybe write to her and ask her if she would still sell it to you and offer a price? Or ask what she wants for it, knowing it is a fake?

firstbaby
12-02-2006, 01:19 PM
Just to play devil's advocate - I'm not sure how long her auction had been listed before you used buy it now, but is it possible that someone emailed her asking for a picture of the signature on the bottom and she realized her mistake? Sure, the timing would have to be crazy since you were able to buy it before she would have realized the mistake and pulled it, but if her feedback is really good I would give the benefit of the doubt.

I would also ask for the picture of the bottom and if you really want it try to work a deal if it really is a copy. Good luck!

randomkid
12-02-2006, 10:09 PM
I agree with a PP that if you still want it, e-mail her to see if you can negotiate a reasonable price. If she doesn't want to sell it to you, then I would be suspicious and would watch to see if she relists it. If she does, you can report her to eBay because the rules are that once an item sells, it doesn't matter if you want more money for it, it's sold. Hopefully, she is just being honest.