PDA

View Full Version : Please help me with my first scrapbooking project. :)

jadamom
12-03-2006, 10:01 AM
Does anyone scrapbook? I'm just getting started, and I've ordered an album, pages, page protectors, a pen, a personal trimmer, a tape runner, and a candy shoppe storybox from Creative Memories. I think I'll work on our Disney pics first, since I've heard that you shouldn't do your baby book first, in case you mess up. Anyway, what else do you think I'll need? I notice that CM has a Mickey Classics Album Kit. Maybe I'll get that. Any other recommendations? Thanks so much!

martycw
12-03-2006, 10:24 AM
If you live near a nice store, I'd suggest taking an intro class. It will give you the confidence and some tricks to get started. Have fun! fyi - I think messing up is part of the process and the fun. :)

babyready
12-03-2006, 05:25 PM
Here are some great websites that can give you ideas while you're starting out:

www.twopeasinabucket.com
www.scrapjazz.com
www.createmykeepsake.com
www.haveyourwaywithpaper.com

It sounds like you have a great start with the essential products. Make sure you have fun and do what you like!

jadamom
12-05-2006, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll check them out. :)

oliviasmomma
12-05-2006, 11:26 AM
Our MOPS group (and I think a lot of them do this) sponsors a monthly "crop" party as a fundraiser. They are really fun because people are generous about sharing tools and paper as well as helping newbies out. I went to an overnight one last year (totally fun, all momma staying at a summer camp) and learned a lot. You might want to look for one. (You don't have to be in MOPS to go.)

mom to little e
12-06-2006, 11:29 AM
My recommendation is, watch out!! It can be adicting! :) I love to scrapbook! I think you got a good set of supplies to start off with. I do use CM albums, page protectors, and their products but also use lots of the fun extras at the scrapbook stores. Know that you can use the 40% coupons for the basics at Michaels, AC Moore, Joann Fabric, etc. as they all carry scrapbook supplies.

I do love the philosophy behind CM in that simple is done and done is good. It is easy to get so involved in trying to make one layout beautiful/perfect/amazing/incredible/etc, but sometimes the actual photos can get lost in the process. For those people, I believe they enjoy creating works of art (also a noble cause but I just need to get caught up!) :)

I think it is a good idea to do your Disney pics first and the CM Mickey set would be so cute. Just remember, there isn't anything you can mess up. If you like it and enjoy the process, that's what is all about. Do try and journal some since you will love reading about it later.

Have fun!!
Maryann

Fairy
12-06-2006, 01:55 PM
I do this quite a bit. You have the essentials for sure. Here are some other comments:

* Get glue dots. They're extremely helpful for little tiny things that have no good place to stick an adhesive, they can be rolled, stretched, and really hold well.

* If you use velum, use velum adhesive that you RUB ON to the velum, NOT the tape runner for velum, as that thing is a liar.

* Do not buy a crapload of cardstock you don't need or a rainbow pack of cardstock like construction paper. It's a waste. Get what you love or what you need and what you think you'll use.

* Less is more. The scrapbook pages that look like the dog threw up on them? Not always the best bang for your buck. Picture gets lost. Remember, this is about your PICTURE, not your elements.

* Rub on letters can be a pain in the ass. Watch out. Rub on words are better.

* You can achieve beautiful results with double and triple matting.

Good luck!
-- Fairy