PDA

View Full Version : Strep throat question (ds)

SnuggleBuggles
12-03-2006, 12:43 PM
On Thanksgiving ds got sick with a fever and sore throat. Thurs, Friday and some of Saturday I could tell it was really bothering him (when the ibuprofen would wear off). But, since Saturday/ Sunday he has seemed fine. Oh, and I was going to take him in on Saturday morning but he seemed fine then, he didn't start to seem worse till dinner time. (We were traveling Thurs and Fri.)

4 days later dh was diagnosed with strep throat.

3 days later (today) I was diagnosed with strep throat.

Even though ds seems to be fine should I get him checked out? WebMD has me all worried about possible complications if it is left untreated.

What would you do?

Beth

I know that I should post in the illness section but it has had no activity for over a month. But, you can move it there if you want to.

newmomto3kids
12-03-2006, 01:25 PM
I would probably call the peds office in the morning, explain the situation and see what they say. My guess is that they will want to test him and see, but you never know.
If you have the means, I always say better safe than sorry!!
Hope you are all feeling better soon.

SnuggleBuggles
12-03-2006, 01:50 PM
That's how I was leaning to. It won't take much time and we only have a $10 co pay. Can't hurt to call/ be seen.

Thanks. :) At least we all got sick at seperate times so we can all take turns being taken care of.

Beth

SnuggleBuggles
12-04-2006, 10:47 PM
Glad we went in. Now all 3 of us are on antibiotics. I feel terrible that he has been out spreading strep throat around. I didn't realize how strep worked or how contagious it was. (ds is 4.5yo, btw)

So, just wanted to post that in case anyone else is in that situation. Just because the symptoms go away away doesn't mean that the strep throat has gone away.

Beth

casey0729
12-04-2006, 11:12 PM
I just wanted to add that strep does not just occur in the throat. You can also get it in the nose and the ear. My DS had a bad case of strep about a month and a half ago but was cleared for strep with a substitute ped who only swabbed his throat. It was in his nose and the only way I knew something was wrong besides a cold was he developed a rash all over his leg and diaper area becase he wiped his nose and then scratched his leg.

Hope the 3 of you feel better soon!!

KC

http://b2.lilypie.com/AWLtm5.png

mamicka
12-05-2006, 10:25 AM
Strep is actually pretty scary, IMO. DS1 had no sore throat symptoms, only 1 day of fever followed by a rash. I took him in & they swabbed his throat & said he had had strep & it had turned into Scarlett Fever.

Allison
Sueprise #3 due 7/16/07