PDA

View Full Version : bathroom remodeling question

CBB
12-06-2006, 09:53 AM
We have a very old house and the bathtub in our 1st floor bathroom is old and peeling. We would like to replace it. I keep getting ads on Bath Fitter which basically installs a bath liner over the existing bath tub. Our wall is okay although if it isn't too expensive, we would love to cover that up too. Anyone has any experience with Bath Fitter or other similar companies? I believe they use acrylic for the tub and wall - is it durable and easy to clean? How is the price for tub liner compare to replacing the tub? And most importantly would you recommand it?

TIA!

Lynnie
12-06-2006, 10:00 AM
we didn't use that, but we used something similar in that a guy came in a space suit looking thing and sprayed a coat of acrylic enamel paint over the entire tub and the tiles on the wall, as well as the floor. (also did it over the formica in the kitchen - since replaced! - and in the other bathroom, on the vanity, shower, tiles, and floor)

It looked great, was relatively inexpensive - like $500 per bathroom, and has lasted 6 years.

It was a good way to get rid of the old florida pink tiles, make it clean, fresh, and new looking white, and not have to dig everything up.

we are going to get around to redoing the bathrooms, but this was a great way to put it off.

Bean606
12-06-2006, 11:10 AM
We heard there could be mold issues with these types of fittings that go over the existing tub and wall. What we did instead was hired someone to reglaze our tub and tiles in white (when we moved in our tiles were pink and turquoise, and the tub was turquoise). This is supposed to last up to 5 years (it's been one and 1/2). It was a few hundred dollars for the whole job, but you have to be out of the house while they do it because the fumes are bad. Our guys set up a fan in our bathroom window to exhaust everything out, but we still stayed out for a couple of hours after they were done.

dules
12-06-2006, 12:17 PM
We have a shower stall in one bathroom with an acrylic pan and 2 acrylic "walls". The seams leak and it's hard to keep clean IMO. I don't know who installed it, though. The leaking is the biggest problem (leaks into the wall through the seams even though we've caulked and recaulked - we will have to rip it all out sometime) so if you want to do it, definitely see if anyone can do a "seamless" job.

To the PP who had paint sprayed on, do you remember what company you used if it was national? We have another bath that has a great cast iron tub but it is blue, with gray floral surround tiles (and it is every bit as ugly, if not more, than it sounds).

Mary

american_mama
12-06-2006, 02:40 PM
My parents had someone reglaze their tub a few years ago and it turned out great, looked brand new, and has lasted well. However, we had a rental last year where the tub had been reglazed at some point and was peeling around the drain when we moved in. The maintenance staff said all the tubs had that problem. The glazing company came and re-did that area (badly... it was still peeling when they left that day) and it just got worse. My advice would be do the whole tub or not at all, and don't accept shoddy work. It can be done well.

pittsburghgirl
12-06-2006, 03:32 PM
My ILs had Bath Fitter several years ago in their only bathroom and love it. They covered both the tub and wall most of the way up. They have had no problems (although I don't know about mold underneath...) and find it easy to clean.

I know that we priced it and DH didn't want to go for it, since our wall was fine. We have tile that has been painted with special paint. They repainted our bathtub once since we moved in.

Marilee
mommy to James
http://b3.lilypie.com/CSwdm4.png

crl
12-06-2006, 05:14 PM
We thought about having our old tub reglazed (never got around to it and have since sold that house). Our plumber said that if we did to make sure they removed all the hardware, including the drain or it would peel there. He said if they couldn't get the hardware off to make them wait until he could come and do it. He was usually pretty opinionated (in a good way) and did not seem to have much of an opinion on whether it was worth it to reglaze. . . .