PDA

View Full Version : Need recommendation for a "natural" sunscreen

marit
12-06-2006, 12:43 PM
I started to suspect recently that I am allergic to sunscreen. I have used 2 different types (one for my face, and one for my body while on vacation), and started itching. The itching stopped when I stopped using the sunscreen. I do have to put something on my face though, so I am wondering if anyone can recommend a brand that has less of, or different active ingredients that the regular sunscreens.

I tried Whole Foods, but the sales person did not know what to tell me.

Thanks,

jhrabosk
12-06-2006, 02:30 PM
I started having sunscreen reactions a few years ago, too. And I don't have sensitive skin at all.

For my face, I use a moisturizer with SPF 15, I think. Neutrogena. And then I wear a hat and/or try to stay in the shade.

For my body, I found one particular type of Coppertone works for me: http://www.coppertone.com/detail_of_45lotion.aspx

If that doesn't work for you, I'd say consult with a dermatologist. Mine has recommended various other (expensive) types.

Good luck!

JBaxter
12-06-2006, 02:34 PM
I use this on my boys ( ds2 has rx to lots of sunscreens)
California baby.

http://www.californiababy.com/spf-suncare.html

sdbc
12-06-2006, 04:12 PM
I like the Neutrogena sensitive skin sunscreen. It has no chemical sunblocks.
Sue, mommy to Aurora (Rory) born 5/13/04

Dcclerk
12-07-2006, 01:54 AM
We have the Earth's Best sunscreen from Whole Foods, which has no chemical ingredients, but it does result in a pretty mily palor, so I don't know that I would recommend it for your face. (It does seem to get less noticeable, but it takes a pretty long time.)

DrSally
12-07-2006, 12:40 PM
I have a sunscreen allergy, Ds's allergist said it is very common. If you look at the active ingredients, a lot of them are the same, so even if you get a different product that sounds natural, it may have chemicals in it. The only thing that worked for me was titanium dioxide or zinc oxide, which are physical rather than chemical barriers. Neutrogena has one labelled for sensitive skin. Make sure these are the only active ingredients. I can tolerate Avebenzone now that it's avail, and Eucerin makes a good one for the face with it.

marit
12-07-2006, 01:14 PM
Thank you! That's the answer I was looking for!

DrSally
12-07-2006, 02:01 PM
Glad I could help. I myself cannot tolerate anything ending in -benzone or --cinnamate. Also beware a lot of cosmetics have these chemical sunscreens in as well. I once used a lipstick with sunscreen and my lips totally swelled up and were super itchy!