PDA

View Full Version : Is delivering without pain meds really that unusual?

Jenn98
12-07-2006, 02:01 PM
Maybe this should go in the b!tching forum, but I am genuinely curious about others who have BTDT. I had DD#1 with no pain meds. It was an "easy" labor until the last 45 minutes, which I can best describe as "blinding." That last 45 minutes really hit me hard and I'm a lot more nervous about the birth of DD#2. I know now that it hurts!! But I am really proud of what I did and I want to do it again.

Anyway, I have decided to go the no pain meds route again simply because I want to. I figure, why mess with nature? I'm trying to trust that my body knows how to birth this child. I know that if I can keep myself mentally calm during transition I can handle the pain. My mantra is This won't actually kill me. ;)

So, I'm looking for two things. First, is it really that rare for a woman to chose no pain meds? It seems like everyone I talk to thinks I have really lost it to even consider it. My Dh and midwife are both supportive, but I have been getting the vibe that it's a crazy thing to even consider.

Second, I could use some positive, no pain meds birth stories to read. Like I said, I went into my first birth with a very calm and collected attitude but struggled with the end of the birth. Now, I'm scared because I know it really *does* hurt. I'm looking for ways to keep myself calm and focused. I think I need to talk to DH to let him know what I really need differently from him this time. I can't lie and say that I'm not tempted by the ease of using pain meds, so any encouragement would be really helpful. I know myself and I basically need to make the mental commitment to do this and then I will find the strength to do so. I'm just scared this time.

Please note that I am in no way slamming those who chose pain meds. I'd love to hear the stories of those who chose to do so, too!

DebbieJ
12-07-2006, 02:06 PM
We had a natural home birth. Even if I gave birth in a hospital, I would have gone the natural route too.

I think the most important thing is to surround yourself with people who support you and your efforts and to just block out those who don't. I didn't really talk about my birth plans with people because, first of all, it's really none of their business, adn second of all, I didn't want to have to explain and defend myself all the time.

Our medical system is totally f***ed up--birth has been medicalized and stripped of its natural power and beauty. Believe in yourself--women were designed to do this!

You also might want to have a birth plan or talk to your providers/nurses about not even offering pain meds should you get to that "blinding" 45 minutes again. :)

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

mudder17
12-07-2006, 02:19 PM
You might want to read [link:www.enotalone.com/article/4419.html|Ina May's guide to Childbirth]. The first half of the book is full of positive birth stories. I never finished it because I didn't get the book until towards the end of my pregnancy, but my friend who did finish it said it was a fantastic book and really helped her to get the drug-free birth she wanted. Hmm...now that I read the description, it makes me want to finish reading it even more and I just had the birth I wanted! :) And yes, you CAN do it! You've done it before and you can do it again, except this time you can be more prepared by figuring out ways to manage the pain ahead of time without the meds. (Some of those things are mentioned in Ina May's book.)

eta: Jen, I know you've read my birth story in P&B, and I just wanted to say that now that I've had both a medicated and unmedicated birth, I would choose the unmedicated birth in a heartbeat, even with all the back labor that I had. The recovery has been soooo much better and admittedly, I feel really powerful that I was able to do it this way. And as others have pointed out, you have the added advantage that you've already done it before.

Eileen

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33734.gif 33 months...

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/1.png

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/2.png

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33732.gif for Leah

o_mom
12-07-2006, 02:21 PM
Is it rare? Well, sort of. Only 10-15% of hospital deliveries have no pain meds at all. Homebirths obviously have a much higher rate, but they probably wouldn't increase the overall rate too much. It isn't clear if that is just vaginal deliveries, either, if so, then all the c-sections have to be accounted for which would make the percentages one-third to one-half less.

How many of those are by choice? It is hard to say. You will have a portion of those who wanted meds but could't have them because they were a) too late b) couldn't afford them c) parents wouldn't approve them or d) medically unable to.

I have have one highly medicated birth and one unmedicated. The second one was by far better on all accounts. The amount of pain was much less overall even though I had no meds. Part of that was the much shorter labor, part of that the endorphins. With my first, I had an epidural that I couldn't even move my legs with. However, I still felt everything during the actual delivery - crowning, tearing, etc. With the second I was so focused on the need to push that the crowning and tear were barely noticible.

ShanaMama
12-07-2006, 02:22 PM
I agree that it's a good idea to surround yourself with ppl who are supportive. Some ideas to try are: aromatherapy, hot shower/ jacuzzi, birth ball, changing positions, massage.
I opted not to use pain meds & used a combo of all of the above, till my midwife strongly recommended Stadol (like Demarol). I will never use it again, & I knew in advance that I didn't want it.
Other than that I had the ideal birth IMO, but I always get these incredulous reactions when I tell ppl I was induced & had back labor with no epidural. My response is always the same: No one will deny that there is pain in labor, the question is how you choose to deal with it. Just like when you have a headache, you can pop 3 Advil or a Vioxx (!) & it will go away. Or you can take a hot tea, lay down, turn down the lights & play calming music, massage your temples, take a bath.....
IMO the difference in outlook is about managing pain & not fearing it. As a society we have definitely medicalized the birthing process, & also decided that pain meds are par for the course. Every single time I give the above example to someone who thinks I am a saint/ nutcase, I see a lightbulb go off.
You got me started on one of my fav topics! Looking fwd to seeing other responses.

ShanaMama
12-07-2006, 02:22 PM
duplicate post

SnuggleBuggles
12-07-2006, 02:28 PM
I had a wonderful experience with ds' birth. Hard as heck but so rewarding to go unmedicated. I am strongly considering hypnobirthing if we have a 2nd child just so I can maybe ride out transition better. I am forever grateful though to have had a great support team, especially my doula, because she kept me really focused and in control.

Have you read "Spiritual Midwifery" by Ina May Gaskin? There are some very reassuing stories in there of unmedicated births. The Natural/ Unmedicated and Childbirth Choices' boards over one Baby Center can hook you up with good stories. I would have, in the past, recommended birthstories.com b/c they have births archived into c-sections, inductions, unmedicated...but not planned vs unplanned unmedicated births. To me that makes a giagantic difference!

Remember that #2 babies are often shorter and easier births. Transition could literally last 10 minutes, even better than your 45 minutes (pretty good for a 1st timer). If you did it before you can do it again. Pregnancy, birth, newborns... they can all be a challenge but people live to tell the tale and sometimes go for it again. My mantra when I was in labor was that I was getting closer all the time. :)

Labor is just a blip when you really think about it. You are strong and can do anything for a day. And your body has been there, done that so you are all the better off for that experience.

In my world it actually is very common to go unmedicated. When I was pg with ds I was really committed to an unmedicated birth for so many reasons that it was very easy to tune out people who didn't get it. Honestly though I can't remember anyone saying anything less than supportive (well, they probably did but I tuned them out or just used their experiences/ opinions as opprotunities to reinforce my choice). Find like minded people or just keep your plans underwraps. No one really needs to know.

You will do great!!

Beth

Wife_and_mommy
12-07-2006, 02:30 PM
Jenn,

You can definitely do this!! I still remember the *beautiful* video your dh made last year for your dd's birth. I think you've already conquered the biggest hurdle in already having done it once!

I planned a birth center birth for both dc's. Had to be transferred and had interventions with dd. DS was a planned waterbirth but was posterior so ended up a land birth. I would birth 100 of my ds not to have to go through the hospital(ie medicated) birth again. I can't wait to give birth again!

I highly recommend you possibly find a doula for your next. Mine was was worth the privacy, $$, etc. I gave up to have her there.

Must go but please be encouraged in your last few weeks of pg. Your body was made to birth children and you can(will!) be successful at it. Hugs to you! :)

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

http://b1.lilypie.com/QQKqm4.png
http://b3.lilypie.com/UnbPm4.png

MommyAllison
12-07-2006, 02:54 PM
I delivered DD without pain meds, and didn't think it was really such a big feat. My mom had all 3 of her kids without pain meds, including my breech sister, and it just seemed normal to me. From the reactions I get when people find out we went drug free, you'd think I was superwoman or something. I haven't heard the 10-15% statistic before, that helps explain the reactions!

I have one friend who has 2 kids and has to be induced each time because of health issues, the first she had an epidural, the second she didn't because the anesthesiologist was in a c-section (she was not happy about this). Even she, who is very pro-epidural and will have an epi with any future kids, admits that the immediate post partum was much easier without an epidural on board.

I agree with PP that you have a huge advantage that you've done it once. You can do it!! My DH definitely made the biggest difference in my birth experience, so I agree that you should whip him into shape ;) and get a doula if you can. HTH!

Allison
Mama to DD 11/05

jennifer_r
12-07-2006, 03:01 PM
All three of my births were unmedicated by choice. I am proud of what I did but also think that any woman who gives birth should be proud.

My major reason to go natural is to avoid having a c-section. The c-section rate is out of control and the more interventions you have, the higher the chance that you will end up with one. I decided to use the Bradley method with the second and third births and am glad I did. I think the stat is approx. 90% of Bradley births have a natural, unmedicated birth. I also had a doula who happened to a) be a Bradley instructor and b) was a RN in labor and delivery at the hospital I was delivering at and knew all the docs in my practice. She was great with both births. It's been shown in studies that doulas greatly decrease your likelihood of having a c-section.

Some great books:

- Birthing from Within - EXCELLENT info and interesting; I admit I skipped the first part - it was too new age for me but the rest is very helpful. It's actually not a Bradley method book but the book seems to share alot of the same philosophies.

- Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way - excellent book, lots of details about positions, exercises, etc.

Even if you don't choose to do the Bradley method, I would recommend both of those books.

Good luck!

Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04
Bronwyn 11/9/05

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url] Woohoo! 1 year and counting . . .

hudsonam
12-07-2006, 03:07 PM
I just want to say that I give anyone who delivers w/o pain meds HUGE kudos. Good for you! Stick to your guns.

I am personally a wuss when it comes to pain, so the epidural was my best friend. ;)

Good luck to you! :)

super_grape
12-07-2006, 03:17 PM
I didn't have an epidural with DD#1 but I did have a shot of nubain before the hospital sent me home for the 2nd time :P and that helped me to sleep which was WONDERFUL and when I woke up my water broke. Then when they got me in a room (spent 2+
hours in triage) there was no time for an epidural so I got a couple of minutes with the gas, which didn't do much, and then she was born.

For DD#2, I got an epidural which did NOTHING for the contractions but did numb my rear and perineal area. I felt every second of all the pain but pushing was great, lol. My rear was numb for several hours after so they kept the baby in the nursery that nite since I couldn't really stand or walk and I got some sleep in between feedings...that was the only good thing about that crazy epidural.
I was also super sore for several weeks because I pushed a little too hard since I couldn't feel it...tore pretty good too.

If there's a next time, I want to go drug free...at least that's my position now :) .

Holly

Scsigrl
12-07-2006, 03:34 PM
YOU CAN DO IT AGAIN!

The Bradley book is great. I would also recomend "Mind over Labor" by Carl Jones.

As for the frequency of drugs.... Naturl is the minority in MY circle:( As a PP stated, if you account for the SUPER HIGH section rate in this counrty (higher in some areas of the country then others, like here in NE Ohio), that # goes up up up! The WHO says a section are of 3-5% is acceptable in genersl (I think that's the % they use). I know here in Ohio, the rate if sections is about 25%. Scarry! To think too, that we, the US, Greatest country in the world (rolling eyes) are 11th in the WORLD for infant mortality! Not cool...not cool at all...

Ok, off the soap box now;)

All this being said.... I have not given birth yet:) heheheh This is just from my research and what I KNOW my body can do! You have already done it once, you CAN do it again!

robinsonbn
12-07-2006, 03:40 PM
I delevered all natural and wouldn't do it any other way. Yes it hurt. However, I was compeltly lucid and I let my body release its own natural pain reliever (adrenaline..i think). My labor was very short 2 1/2 hours but during the really painful parts DH and I did this dance thing and I took out my pain on him by biting his shoulder. He also ended up with indented finger a couple of times. I guess what I am trying to say is yes it hurt but I felt so happy and proud afterwards. What made it even better is to this day DH still goes on and on about how I delivered without meds. and it makes me feel good to know he recognizes the amazing feat us woman perform. Congrats and you can do this!

Alys the Cat
12-07-2006, 04:00 PM
I know going med-free seems unthinkable to a lot of people -- at least where I live (South Florida). I took Hypnobirthing lessons, used no meds and had a great birth experience. But when DH or I tell someone that, they look at us like we have ten heads. Even at the hospital, one of the nurses congratulated me and said "No one does that!"

It was a very deliberate decision for me, largely because I'm a control freak. Hypnobirthing gave me a sense of comfort and control about the birth process that I didn't get from regular childbirth classes. (At my hospital, they may as well have called it Epidural 101, because that's all they really covered. And they had no breastfeeding support. Ugh -- don't get me started!)

I think if you had a good first experience overall, you can certainly do it again. Surround yourself with people who support your wishes, and spell it out - concisely - for the hospital staff. I found that having a birth plan saved me from explaining myself alot.

You're not crazy -- you're making the choice that feels right to you!

dules
12-07-2006, 04:03 PM
I did not, but I had a very simple birth plan that asked that I not be offered pain meds or even have them mentioned unless *I* brought it up.

Things didn't go according to my plan so I did ask for them, but it was nice that everyone in the room respected my wishes.

Mary

Momof3Labs
12-07-2006, 04:13 PM
I've done it with and without pain meds and guess what? It can hurt an awful lot with an epi, too! In fact, my first baby hurt MORE because the epi didn't work well and they wouldn't let me change positions so I was more comfortable. At least with my second, I could move around and do whatever was most comfortable.

Have you considered a doula?

momofjandl
12-07-2006, 04:26 PM
I say go for it if that's what you want. But you should also always have a back up plan. And honestly..can you really ever PLAN these things?

With my first I had it all planned out..or so I thought. No pain meds, all natural, etc.

Well my water broke, I went in, had contractions and wouldn't dialate. I was told that my choices were to wait it out and have to take antibiotics for possible infection to me and my baby..or be induced.

I waited and eventually was induced. They asked if I wanted an Epi at the same time and I said no. Needless to say 1/2 hour lated I was doubled over in pain, back to back contractions, and vomiting non stop due to shock. So I went with the Epi.

Was I disappointed? Absolutely. But I learned that I couldn't plan for what was going to happen and my baby turned out fine. In fact it worked out the best b/c he was born with the cord around his neck. Who knows what might have happened if I decided to wait it out?

I think if that's what you want it is doable and to just mentally prepare yourself for it. But don't beat yourself up either if it doesn't happen. (I did for a long time.) Each birth experience is different.

Good luck!

maestramommy
12-07-2006, 04:47 PM
second post is complete.

maestramommy
12-07-2006, 04:48 PM
I would say stastically less women go natural these days, partly because the epidural is so accessible. I mean, if you have insurance, you don't have to pay more than the copay and/or premium. And for many women (myself included) the pain of labor takes them completely by surprise, even if they've gone through childbirth classes. I think to really get through it, you'd want to take a more instructive class like Bradley, Hypnobabies, or something like that. You'd also want to educate yourself on the laboring options so that when the nurses start going through the usual motions at the hospital you can hold off on interventions.

I just saw my OB today for my next baby, and he said I could just ask the nurses for an internal monitor if they start nattering about not being able to monitor when I want to be in different positions. TOTALLY didn't know that the first time. He's also perfectly fine with a doula as long as "she doesn't go completely crazy" which I understand. I think for me a natural birth is something to shoot for this time around, but I'm not emotionally attached to the idea, basically because my first experience was really positive.

ETA: just wanted to add that the statistics MAY be skewed if they are only counting women who deliver in hospitals, and perhaps birthing centers. There are women who deliver at home, although these numbers are probably still in the minority

mudder17
12-07-2006, 05:07 PM
>I just saw my OB today for my next baby, and he said I could
>just ask the nurses for an internal monitor if they start
>nattering about not being able to monitor when I want to be in
>different positions. TOTALLY didn't know that the first time.

I think you mean intermittent monitoring. ;) I put this in the birth plan and amazingly, all the nurses read the birth plan and did their best to work towards what we wanted. It turns out the birth plan was attached to the front of my file, so everyone who saw the file would see the plan. In any case, one of the things I requested in the plan was a nurse who would be supportive of a drug-free birth and I was amazed with all the nurses and techs that I ended up seeing (because I was in the hospital at least 3 times, 2 overnight). When my labor didn't seem to be progressing I did ask about my options and they said the OB said I could go home and labor at home or stay in the hospital--it was up to me. When I asked what they might do to progress labor (such as stripping membranes), they actually replied that they didn't bring anything like that up because they knew I wanted a birth with as little intervention as possible. Honestly, I was wowed by my experiences in the hospital.

For the intermittent monitoring, they just basically took the monitor sensor and would manually put it against my abdomen no matter what position I was in (even if my stomach was resting against the bed or if I was squatting) and get the readings they needed. They were very unobtrusive (sp?).

Eileen

american_mama
12-07-2006, 05:36 PM
Over time, I have come to compare giving birth without meds to running a marathon, and that might be something your ob and midwife can understand. Both hurt, both take a lot of time, many people think it's crazy, but women do it because it has meaning and other benefits. Before DD1 was born, it helped me to actually write down why I wanted a natural birth. Some were objective reasons, like a shorter labor and less likelihood of interventions. Some were practical, like not having a machine tell me how strong my contractions were, or anything restricting my movement. Some were personal, like feeling like my body could do this, like DH and I could work together through this momentous event, and more. I wrote down so many reasons, minor and major, and it really helped motivate me.

I also wrote down some of what I was looking forward to in birth. That's a radical concept, isn't it? I was looking forward to a bath, the fun bouncy birthing ball, my favorite relaxing music, the solitude with DH, and wondering what the baby's hair would be like, all kinds of things. I didn't want to look ahead to labor with dread.

Also, I read Ina May's Guide to Natural Childbirth the day after giving birth and it's completely inspiring! You can even read a few stories in the bookstore, and I'd be amazed if you don't feel raring for labor to begin afterward. I believe this is a more updated version of Spiritual Midwifery.

Good luck, but you don't really need it. As you know, you can do this.

maestramommy
12-07-2006, 05:44 PM
>
>I think you mean intermittent monitoring. ;)
>
>For the intermittent monitoring, they just basically took the
>monitor sensor and would manually put it against my abdomen no
>matter what position I was in (even if my stomach was resting
>against the bed or if I was squatting) and get the readings
>they needed. They were very unobtrusive (sp?).

No, this is an internal monitor, that is attached to the baby's head. The OB said it doesn't hurt the baby at all, and it's rather unobtrusive, although I guess it would make it hard to go to the bathroom :-). You would have a tiny cable hanging out of you all the time, but he said with this monitor I could stand on my head if I wanted to LOL!

Tondi G
12-07-2006, 06:37 PM
I've had two unmedicated births. The first one was long and not that painful until my water was broken... then things moved very quickly and finally DS was out! My 2nd experience was much better. I knew what to expect and knew to try to really relax in between contractions. Again once they broke my water things moved very quickly. Both times I had an episiotomy... the first I felt (OUCH) the second was a pressure episiotomy and I didn't feel her cut me at all.... so wierd! My deliveries were a little different but both unmedicated and natural!

If you get there and feel the need for meds they are always there! By the time I got to transition and thought to myself... why the heck am I doing this again"... it was too late. I was pushing before I knew it and my little guy was out much quicker than his big bro!

You CAN Do it!!!! Good Luck! For what it's worth DH and I took a Bradley Class before the birth of our first and it was great!

Oh and yes I think it is rare these days to go unmedicated. At least in the hospitals I delivered in. The second hospital my L&D nurse who was excellent by the way was asking me all kinds of questions afterwards.... she was very interrested in what helped me through it!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

pb&j
12-07-2006, 07:23 PM
>Over time, I have come to compare giving birth without meds
>to running a marathon, and that might be something your ob and
>midwife can understand.
>

LOL, giving birth was definitely easier than running a marathon. But I got lucky in birth with a short, uncomplicated labor (I did have an epidural, but not till 9cm), and unlucky in marathoning with a hot day. Anyway, it's amazing what your body will do if you just ask.

-Ry,
mom to Emma, stillborn 11/04/04
and Max, 01/05/06

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/35775.gif
http://b1.lilypie.com/aKGqm5/.png[/img] ([img)

ribbit1019
12-07-2006, 07:48 PM
Jen I totally understand what you are saying, you can do it! Here is the link to Jarred's birth story. I recommend a doula too, very nice to have. :) Good luck!!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=61&topic_id=3070&mesg_id=3070&page=

Christy
Wife to Richard
My Waterbabies
http://lilypie.com/pic/060928/Yw0w.jpg http://b3.lilypie.com/H-lkm5.png
http://lilypie.com/pic/060928/iBmU.jpg http://bf.lilypie.com/tkq-m5.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/steitzsmith/Other/jump.gif

elaineandmichaelsmommy
12-07-2006, 08:07 PM
I'm in the medication boat on this one. dd's birth was awful. I went drug free for the first 24 hours. I'm pround that i made it through several of those hours with pitossin without the epi,but after 24 hours with no sleep and back to back contractions, when the nurse asked if i wanted an epi, my response was "dear god, yes!" Not suprisingly i dialated from 2 cm to 7cm in less than an hour after the epi because i was able to relax. DD was sunny side up and dh had a very hard time with being a coach b/c he hated seeing me in so much pain and he couldn't take it away,(broke his heart). After the epi I could sleep a little and get my bearings.
I wound up having a c-section in the end b/c dd's heartrate dropped every time i pushed and didn't come back up so a c-section was required. And frankly by that point i just wanted it over.
After she was born, I had an infection and so did she. I had a fever of 103 and she was in the nicu for 4 days. Keep in mind this was a full term healthy baby.
With ds we opted for a planned c-section when our ob told us that it would probobly be the same thing again. I've never regreted that decision. He was born healthy and had no problems dealing with the jaundice.(dh is positive blood type and i'm neg.)
DD spent a lot of time in the nicu under billi lights b/c her body couldn't fight the infection and deal w/ the jaundice.
I also had a very hard time getting dd to latch and breastfeed, she didn't nurse from the breast until she was 3 weeks old. ds latched on immediatly in the or and again in the recovery room and i nursed again as soon as i was in my room.

So the point i'm making is-if you can do it great. but if you are afraid,don't try to be stoic or a hero. In the end it's all about having a healthy baby. I don't think it matters if you do it with or without med's. Or if you have a vaginal or c-section delivery. The most important thing of all is that you and the baby are healthy in the end and can bond freely.

Best wishes on a safe and healthy delivery

Jen

ps. DD is currently a happy 4 yo covered in finger paint. :-D

brittone2
12-07-2006, 08:54 PM
Most people I know thought I was nuts, and then afterward couldn't believe I did it without drugs and lived to tell LOL. I guess since I'm on the smaller size a lot of people assume somehow the baby isn't going to fit without massive pain, and expected that I was going to tear from one end to the other or something. I actually really enjoy being able to share my positive birth story from DS's birth with my friends who don't have kids yet. I feel like it opens their eyes to the possibility that labor doesn't have to equal torture. Certainly some of it is luck, and some is preparation, and every labor and delivery is a different experience.

My mom had me using Lamaze back in the 70s. She had pitocin but no epidural, amazingly. I used to tell her how epidurals were a gift from above and that any woman who didn't use one was nuts. Once I became pregnant, obviously my thoughts on that changed LOL.

Personally, I think a lot of people never receive fully informed consent about the risks of epidurals. Certainly they are a wonderful tool, but I wish more docs discussed the negatives of them w/ patients in advance. Most people I know think there is *no* downside to an epidural; therefore, why would you even attempt to give birth without one, kwim?

Also the media constantly bombard us with images of how horrible birth is. The cable TV shows about birth are almost always stories with epidurals and lots of interventions. You pretty much never see anything positive about birth on TV. SO most people assume it is always, always, always extremely painful and a terrible experience. As a result they can't fathom trying to do it without drugs.

I think if you did it before, your chances of doing it again without drugs are excellent. Every labor is different, and hopefully your 2nd will be even easier.

If you are dealing w/ fears, if you can get a hold of a hypnobabies CD or look into a private hypnosis session (if you are open to that idea) you can do something called a "fear release" that is particularly helpful for easing fears from past experiences, etc. I found it really helpful with DS's birth (took Hypnobirthing and my instructor did a fear release for us in class). This time I did my own w/ a Hypnobabies CD. You may be able to find scipts/imagery ideas online for ways to go about doing this.

I had a doula for DS's birth. I didn't need her at all for 90 percent of my labor, but the ten percent I needed her for, she was worth her weight in gold and I don't regret it one bit. She was awesome. I definitely, definitely, definitely recommend getting one as the PPs have mentioned.

You can do it :)

ribbit1019
12-07-2006, 08:58 PM
Beth, How are you doing? Any mention of arrival from the girlie??

Christy
Wife to Richard
My Waterbabies
http://lilypie.com/pic/060928/Yw0w.jpg http://b3.lilypie.com/H-lkm5.png
http://lilypie.com/pic/060928/iBmU.jpg http://bf.lilypie.com/tkq-m5.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/steitzsmith/Other/jump.gif

Momof3Labs
12-07-2006, 09:01 PM
If you want a natural birth, you REALLY don't want an internal monitor. They don't make it easier to move at all since you are connected to the monitor via your vagina. You want intermittent monitoring (yes, I've had both).

ShanaMama
12-07-2006, 09:50 PM
"I feel like it opens their eyes to the possibility that labor doesn't have to equal torture. "
ITA that this is the accepted norm. How sad.

brittone2
12-07-2006, 09:54 PM
Thanks for thinking of me. No imminent signs. Trying to be patient LOL ;)

I finally got a cervical check today (was declining til now) and am 2-3 cm and 50% effaced, head still not very descended. I was dilated 2 cm and 80 percent effaced w/ Logan for weeks, so that doesn't tell me much.

Just hanging out and hoping she'll arrive when she's ready. I'm getting over a chest cold so in a way it is good that she's held off this long.

If I'm gone for a while you'll know what happened ;) Hope all is well w/ your kids!

mudder17
12-07-2006, 10:06 PM
What she said. Also, if I recall correctly, the internal monitor increases the chances for infection, both to you and the baby.

Eileen

MonicaH
12-07-2006, 10:10 PM
The internal monitor is screwed into the baby's scalp. It has a small hook on the end that they twist into the skin. To use it the membranes have to already be ruptured (so it would be done artificially if you hadn't already ruptured on your own). I'd take issue with the idea that it doesn't hurt the baby. It can be a portal for serious infection in the newborn period.

Monica

Alice523
12-08-2006, 12:02 AM
I was induced with an epidural and on my side for most of my labor. My internal monitor detached from DS several times when I was still, so I can't imagine how it would stay put if you were in different positions.