PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE:sleep training question....X post from sleep forum

megs4413
12-08-2006, 12:59 PM
i need an urgent answer to this if someone has it...

we're in the middle of CIO sleep training and i'm wondering about naps....i am trying to get DD of the bottle to go to sleep thing, but it really doesn't matter to me if she has a bottle during the day. we just can't have her have one (or 4!!) over night....am i sabotaging our night efforts if i let her have the bottle for her nap time during the day? she hasn't napped in almost a week and she's EXHAUSTED. her eyes are literally awash in dark circles and puffy...she's CIO for her "nap" right now, but the last few days CIO has only led to 2 hours of crying and no nap at all.....

i'm ready to give up...

UPDATE:
apparently all i needed was to post in desparation! she was asleep about 5 or 10 minutes after i posted! (hopefully she was asleep and not dead..i'm quite nervous actually that she just stopped breathing...) i'm so proud of her for napping on her own today! i really hope this is a sign that this CIO thing is going to work for us....and i hope tonight is the first night that she gets some real rest.....wish us luck! send the good sleep vibes to DD! she needs them! and thanks for all of the advice....

lmintzer
12-08-2006, 01:02 PM
Nope! You should be okay. Daytime and nighttime sleep are different creatures. I would focus on night and worry about naps later. "Help" her get as much daytime sleep as you can--bottle, rocking, etc. If she is better rested going into nighttime, she will start to sleep better at night.

bubbaray
12-08-2006, 01:04 PM
BTDT. CIO is really hard.

We used Weisbuths "Heathly Sleep Habits, Happy Child". IIRC, he says for naps, let them CIO for an hour, no longer (b/c otherwise it disrupts the day's schedule).

Personally, I wouldn't let her do things for naps that you don't want her to do for nighttime. My DD never took a bottle, but we gave her a sippy with water for naps & at night. At daycare, she doesn't even get a sippy with water, they don't allow any liquid at nap time.

If she d/n nap today, I'd put her down to sleep early tonight.

I'm by no means a sleep expert, we still struggle with nighttime in our house. Naps are generally OK still (DD is 2.5).

Good luck.
Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: c/s 01/2007

Bean606
12-08-2006, 01:08 PM
We used Jodi Mindell's book "Sleeping Through the Night" She recommends only doing CIO at first for the initial going to bed, and doing whatever works for naps, at least in the beginning. She also recommends "whatever works" for nighttime wakings, too, at least in the beginning. But Ferber says to continue the same methods for everything, so it depends on what philosophy you agree with. I just couldn't stand listening to DS scream for over an hour, and so it was all I could do just to go through it once a day at bed-time.

Moneypenny
12-08-2006, 01:11 PM
Leave naps alone for now - just work on nighttime. Once you get nighttime where you want it, work on naps. Also, when you do get to naps, if you do CIO, Weissbluth recommends no more than one hour (I think - maybe 30 minutes?) of CIO. If kiddo is still awake after 1 hour, just get them up and try it again later.

Susan
mama to my cutie pie, Avery
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]

maestramommy
12-08-2006, 03:35 PM
For us we actually did CIO for naps first because that's when rocking to sleep was no longer effective. Of course Dora was only 5 months at the time. CIO for nighttime came a little later. Again we kind of went with the flow, and when patting her down didn't work anymore that's when we went with CIO. We did give her a bottleor nurse her before bedtime as it was supposed to be her last feeding of the day. Nowadays we would probably give her the bottle before her bath because her teeth need to be brushed.