PDA

View Full Version : Presents from Santa AND Mom and Dad?

jenjenfirenjen
12-10-2006, 10:38 PM
Or just Santa. When I was little (actually even now) I would have some presents from Santa and some from Mom and Dad. DH thinks all the presents should be from Santa. What do you do?

buddyleebaby
12-10-2006, 10:42 PM
My parents used to do all from Santa until my little sister asked my dad why he never gave anyone except mom a Christmas present. After that there was always a present from mom and dad.

C99
12-10-2006, 10:48 PM
Both. Santa brings 1-2 big things (usually shared between kids) and Mom & Dad give 3 items per kid. Why should Santa get all the glory? ;-)

madelinesmom
12-10-2006, 10:51 PM
We do what my family did. Just presents from Santa... Soon enough they will find out the truth and know that Santa is Mom and Dad...

Jane
http://b4.lilypie.com/l3-em6/.png
http://b1.lilypie.com/-FG1m6/.png

Sillygirl
12-10-2006, 10:55 PM
Santa, Mom and Dad, and the cat. That's how it went in my family.

kristenk
12-10-2006, 11:10 PM
For the past couple of years, Santa has done 1 "fun" toy. Mom and Dad give about 3 presents. The relatives go wild and it becomes quite apparent that DD is the only young child in the family anyone can shop for. :)

miki
12-10-2006, 11:17 PM
In the past DD just got presents. This year she's 3 and has an idea about Santa. But she also sees me shop for presents for other people and has come to the conclusion that I give these presents that I buy to Santa and he will give them to the intended recipient. So in her mind, all presents get delivered by Santa. Ask your kids what they expect will happen--it might be funny.

lilycat88
12-10-2006, 11:41 PM
Santa gave a couple of things and stocking stuff and mom and dad gave the rest.

crl
12-11-2006, 12:09 AM
Some from each. That's the way our families did it.

kijip
12-11-2006, 01:16 AM
When I was a kid, Santa brought 1 or 2 things and everything else was from people I knew. However, I like telling Toby that it all comes from Santa. So that is what we do.

bcky2
12-11-2006, 09:20 AM
we do them all from santa except one present from us. whatever they get from relatives is also from them, not santa stopped at their house too and left you presents there thing.

LarsMal
12-11-2006, 09:32 AM
We had a mix growing up, too. Some were from Santa (anything that was too big to be wrapped was from Santa) and some from Mom and Dad.

My DH thinks that ALL presents should be from Mom and Dad and stocking stuffers are from Santa. I guess that was/still is the tradition he grew up with. We're still trying to work that one out!

SnuggleBuggles
12-11-2006, 11:01 AM
Santa is giving ds the 2 things he asked for. The rest is coming from mom and dad. So for us that is going to be 2 things from Santa and like 10 from us.

I like to listen in to what he tells Santa when we visit him to make sure we are on the same page.

Beth

MelissaTC
12-11-2006, 11:32 AM
DS will receive a present from me (Disney crocs) and a present from Daddy (remote control car) on Christmas Eve. The rest of the load will be from Santa on Christmas day. Stockings are filled with goodies from us and Santa. I had to fix that one last year as he helped me put things in DH's stocking and started asking all kinds of questions.

holliam
12-11-2006, 01:20 PM
We both had a mix growing up with Santa doing stockings. In my family, we kids did our parents' stockings. My older siblings just told me that Santa didn't have time to do theirs too. LOL It was my job to fill theirs up since I was the youngest, had no money to contribute to it, and was up before anyone else. :)

But, DD hates Santa so he is not bringing anything this year since she requested that he not bring her anything. Another friend of ours (he's 3) doesn't like him either and made his mom write a letter informing Santa that only the elves were allowed into the house. DD said she doesn't like elves either when she learned that they work with the big guy.

Holli

buddyleebaby
12-11-2006, 01:37 PM
Holli,
Does Maris dislike Santa in general or was there one particular Santa that scared her? Abigail is pertrified of the jolly white Santa at the mall but she loves the skinny Hispanic one at the drugstore.

ajmom
12-11-2006, 03:39 PM
Both. Or I should say all three...Santa, parents, and granparents (from whom they get the largest haul!).

holliam
12-11-2006, 03:50 PM
Oh her dislike is universal and it's beyond Santa. It pretty much falls under "any human-esque creature dressed up in funny outfits."

She has added snowmen (since she saw some guy dressed as one) and clowns (she saw in a book) to her list recently.

Holli

Mommy Of A Little Angel
12-11-2006, 03:59 PM
A similar thing happened in my family! Everything was from Santa until one year my older brother asked why my parents never gave us presents even though we gave them some. From then on, Mom and Dad always gave us a present (usually pjs).

buddyleebaby
12-11-2006, 10:37 PM
>Oh her dislike is universal and it's beyond Santa. It pretty
>much falls under "any human-esque creature dressed up in funny
>outfits."

that's too cute.

s7714
12-12-2006, 12:32 AM
Santa is reserved for one or two presents each, all the rest come from family.

Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Antsy-Pants 6/05

Calling fellow BBB SoCal moms...we'd love to meet you!
(100 posts & BBB member for 3 months req'd)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/babybargainssocal/

cmdunn1972
12-12-2006, 07:39 AM
Your DH probably says that it "should" be that way because that's what he grew up with and is used to. That doesn't mean that you "must" do exactly the same thing with your children!

When I was growing up, some of our presents were from Santa and others were from Mom and Dad. My Mom saved some large red department store shopping bags and fitted them with green tags made from construction paper. Every year, our "Santa" presents were in those bags. What didn't fit were designated either from "Mom & Dad" or from Santa. While the bags haven't survived, my parents still designate some presents from Santa and others from Nana & Pops as part of the tradition they started.

You and your family are, of course, free to start whatever traditions you both feel comfortable with. There is no right or wrong here.

mommyto4
12-12-2006, 01:45 PM
We have always done two from Santa (one thing that you want and one thing that you need), usually a toy and an outfit or something like that. Santa also fills the stockings. The rest are from Mommy & Daddy. We don't wrap the Santa gifts (we put tags on them to show who they are for).

punkrockmama
12-12-2006, 02:12 PM
We do some from Santa and some from us. It's funny because we kinda save the really cool stuff for our presents and Santa doles out the rest.

I'm for traditions and all, but one of the coolest things about being married and having kids is all the new traditions you can make for your little family.