PDA

View Full Version : ISO: good silver polish

LarsMal
12-11-2006, 09:34 AM
A couple of my stocking hangers are looking really tarnished this year. I bought some silver wipes at BB & Beyond yesterday, but they didn't do anything.

Any recommendations?

TIA!

knaidel
12-11-2006, 11:39 AM
Yes- use Haggerty's or Goddard's. I have a lot of silver ritual items (candlesticks and cup for Shabbat, etc) and these brands work much better than others.

bostonsmama
12-11-2006, 01:14 PM
If you don't have time to get to the store, regular old car polish (wax) will work great--just rub it on w/ an old sock, let it dry, then buff it off w/ an unused end of the sock. You can also try a good scrubbing with baking soda and rinse with water. At Thanksgiving, all the stores were closed, but we wanted to use the nice silver service, but my mom was all out of silver polish and I went online and found a "recipe" for baking soda and it looked great!

lilycat88
12-11-2006, 01:50 PM
I'm a Goddards fan. I just polished all of my silver for our Christmas party and it worked well as usual.

LarsMal
12-11-2006, 02:26 PM
That would require us HAVING car polish! :-)

I'll try the baking soda first, and if that doesn't work, I'll try PP's recs.

Thanks!

ShanaMama
12-11-2006, 02:55 PM
I second Knaidel on recommending Haggerty. They have several options: traditional gooey polish, which gets applied & then washed off; a spray, which I've never used; and a pair of gloves which I love. They are pretreated, so you just put them on & rub the tarnish right off. No need for washing, buffing, it's all one step.
They may be a little $$$ for once a year use, but I polish my silver every couple of weeks & the shine from the gloves also lasts longer than other kinds.

ETC: typos & clarity

Tondi G
12-11-2006, 06:23 PM
Haggerty's Spray!

nicoleandjackson
12-11-2006, 09:05 PM
In a pinch you can use toothpaste. It has to be the creamy original kind (like Crest or Colgate) not a gel, stripey, or whitening.

Good luck!

Nicole
Mommy of Jackson 4/30/02

http://b5.lilypie.com/nD9Jm5.png

rupptopia
12-11-2006, 10:13 PM
I like MAAS, it is sold at the Container Store an probably other places too. At is a paste & a little goes a long way.

My MIL helped my clean my silver items when we moved this summer & was really impressed & had me track some down for her. And she cleans her silver place setting & formal tea set every holday season . . .