PDA

View Full Version : Help ISO X-Mas Gift Ideas For a 90 year old Great-Granny

smzapalac
12-11-2006, 02:57 PM
I have NO idea what to buy my DH's grandmother for Christmas. Please help. She is 90, lives in Philadelphia. We have given her slippers, gloves, scarves and hats the last 8 years.

We are giving her a shutterfly calendar with pics of our DD, but what else can we give her? She can't eat nuts or chocolate, so most candies are out. She has a ton of jewlery and doesn't want any more. Please share any ideas you have.

kimbe
12-11-2006, 03:06 PM
We get our Grandparents the LAMEST gifts. They all get mad when we spend money on them and none of them want or need anything! I started this gift pack a few years ago and it has been a hit every year since!!! They LOVE them. (Easy for me too!)

Grandmas are all getting - a package of dish towels, a package of dishcloths, two bars of Dove soap, a 100 page photo album with pictures of DD in it.

HTH!

elliput
12-11-2006, 03:37 PM
Flowers?

oliviasmomma
12-11-2006, 03:41 PM
My great aunt is in her mid-80's and lives out of state. I've sent her a small tree from Jackson & Perkins since she never puts one up anymore. (They are decorated) Other things I've sent are H&D pears, oranges from FL, paperwhite bulbs planted and ready to bloom (she loves flowers), books on gardening, picture CD's, and music. I usually try to avoid lotions and things because she is particular about that stuff. I try to think about what I'd like at that age, sometimes I think older folks say they don't want anything because no one knows what to get them, KWIM? One year we gave another older relative a CD player and CD versions of a couple of her old, scratched records--she LOVED it!

Maybe old TV shows on DVD or VHS?

elephantmeg
12-11-2006, 03:50 PM
I give my grandma books on tape usually. DVD sets would be good too. This year we're doing a Heifer donation for her.

MaiseyDog
12-11-2006, 03:58 PM
These are kind of odd, but we get my grandmother phone cards, stamps, lots of greeting cards (with 4 kids, 12 grandkids, and 18 greatgrands she sends alot of birthday cards, not to mention being 85 yo and sending sympathy cards), and gift certificates to her salon. I tend to rotate these so I don't give the same thing every year.

Margaret

KBecks
12-11-2006, 04:04 PM
How about a plant?

Or a magazine subscription? Large print if she needs it.

Probably not something that's going to be cluttering.

oliviasmomma
12-11-2006, 04:08 PM
I think that's a great idea! I totally gets across the idea that yes, you do want to hear from her, I think it is sweet.

jesseandgrace
12-11-2006, 04:17 PM
Paint your own pottery places are good for gifts, the kids can do little handprints on a plate, cup or bowl, or even just a tile. It works even if you have a little baby, you can do a footprint.

mudder17
12-11-2006, 04:18 PM
Actually, DH's granny is getting the calendar and she's always happy with that. We will also be giving her a phone call since we won't be with her this year. Although she is getting a visit from us in Jan or Feb so she can see her newest greatgranddaughter.

Eileen

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33734.gif 33 months...

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/1.png

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/2.png

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33732.gif for Leah

MonicaH
12-11-2006, 04:28 PM
Last year we gave my husband's grandmother a digital picture frame, loaded with pics of her grandkids and greatgrandkids. My grandma has Alzheimer's and we don't really get her anything because she doesn't have any room or need for knick-nacks and she doesn't remember the stuff she already has. She doesn't really remember us either, but we're sending her a picture of us anyway.

I think the most important consideration is 1)do they need something very practical because they are on a fixed income (clothes, food, etc) or 2)do they have an interest that you can tie into? If neither question provides an obvious answer, I like to go with Heifer gifts. They have been well received by many relatives.

Monica

emilyf
12-11-2006, 04:49 PM
Usually nothing-or just some pictures of the kids- but this year I got her a book I saw at Barnes & Noble that identifies birds, and also their songs-she likes birds and mentioned that she wishes she could identify them by sound.
Emily mom of Charlie born 11/02 and Zoe born 9/05

bostonsmama
12-11-2006, 09:03 PM
We're lucky that DH's grandma (who's 87) doesn't have to take a lot of medications since she's in remarkably good health. But we send her a nice bottle of sweet wine (Riesling) or have flowers delivered. She lives out in the desert in the middle of nowhere (2hrs from "civilization") and doesn't drive, so it's nice for her to have some little luxuries. Her DH just passed last January at the age of 97 and credited his wonderful health to a glass of red wine (or beer, during a baseball game--his life's obsession) every other day! And at this age there's a "you can't take it with you" philosophy, so consumable/expendable goods are probably a good bet.

ON another note, one year we all chipped in for some wireless/remote headphones for his 95 yo grandpa b/c he was hard of hearing and blasted the TV so he could hear it--which annoyed grandma. Anyways, if you've been hearing about anything she needs or could use but wouldn't buy herself, maybe some of the siblings and you all could chip in.

crl
12-11-2006, 09:40 PM
Does she write to people? Nice notecards or stationary might be good. How about guest soaps? Or nice smelling lotion? A plant? Whiteflower Farms usually has some nice indoor plants, like lavendar, etc.

Jen841
12-11-2006, 09:42 PM
Stamps?
Regularly send her pictures of the kids (we call it Friday Pictures in this house)?
Does she go out? Wawa gift card (gas, snacks, essentials, deli sandwiches,...)

smzapalac
12-11-2006, 10:00 PM
Stamps!!! Terrific idea!

smzapalac
12-11-2006, 10:07 PM
You all have some really amazing suggestions. I had never heard of donations to Heifer and I think that is a terrific idea. Also, we haven't given stationary or stamps so those are some great gift ideas as well. Thanks so much for the suggestions. Please keep them coming.

hillview
12-11-2006, 10:19 PM
- photo box from shutterfly (just got mine for my grandma and it is v nice) for the jewlery
- large print NYT subscription
- artwork by DD in a frame
- gift certificate to a restaurant she likes to go to
- donation in her honor to a charity/church etc
- we gave a park a bench for my grandma once (she loved it!)
- talking frame (brookstones used to have one) where DD can record a gurgle or word or phrase depending on her age etc
- tickets to something
- sweater/robe/PJs

HTH!
/hillary

JBaxter
12-11-2006, 10:22 PM
I remember my grandmother loved lotions. Her hands got very dry in winter. Or how about a fruit basket?

sdjeppa
12-12-2006, 01:28 AM
One year we gave my Grandma a vase and a note that it would be filled with flowers once a month...I lived nearby and would deliver them, or you can set up with proflowers, etc. a monthly delivery. She loved it!

kransden
12-12-2006, 05:19 AM
My mom is 87, so here are several ideas.

Books on tape - make sure they have a tape player. You can check tapes out at the library and make copies of them to send.

Telephone for the elderly - they have places for pictures on the speed dial. Set it up for her, then ship it.

The elderly are often cold, so a fleece or sweat shirt material jacket to wear around the house.

"Birds and Blooms" http://www.birdsandblooms.com magazine. Old people just love this for some reason.

If you live close by, here are some other suggestions:

Check their freezer space - make them some heat & eat meals that are clearly labeled - most elderly still like to eat but don't want to cook.

The elderly often don't get out much. If that is the case. Set up a dinner date. My mom loved to go to a dinner theater on a Sunday afternoon.

A monthly trip to Wal-Mart, or other store and lunch. My mom is so frail that is a big treat for her.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

scoop22
12-12-2006, 08:20 AM
this year was easier for us. her microwave broke so my family all went in and got her a new one with the micro-cookers from pampered chef. we also always get her a gift card for the grocery store. we often throw in towels. now i give pictures of ds. we have done floweres and plants.
good luck. it can be tough and they never give you any ideas
http://b2.lilypie.com/XbITm4.png

dules
12-12-2006, 09:18 AM
For one of her last Christmases my grandmother asked for a good dictionary and a magnifying glass. She said you're never too old to develop your vocabulary. ;)

Is she a reader? Magazine subscription or a good book?

Mary

gatorsmom
12-12-2006, 03:03 PM
What about some high-thread count sheets? If you have the money (and she doesn't), it might be something she would really enjoy but would never purchase for herself. I bought some for my parents a few years ago and my dad said he was in heaven. They had been sleeping in the same sheets(50%cotton, 50% polyester- you know, the ones that will last FOREVER) and so these sheets were really a luxury.

Maybe some soft, large bath "sheets." She may not be able to get out and buy herself new bath towels or may not want to spend the money. My grandparents used theirs until they were threadbare.

Pictures of your kids and the cousins and other grandkids in a frame is usually appreciated.

smzapalac
12-12-2006, 10:05 PM
Your grandmother sounds like a wise woman. Great gift idea!

smzapalac
12-12-2006, 10:08 PM
That is a FABULOUS idea. I wish I lived closer to her and I would do this. Great idea! Thanks!

smzapalac
12-12-2006, 10:39 PM
UPDATE-- Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I feel like I have some great ideas for 2007. For this Christmas we are giving my DH grandmother a shutterfly calendar with pics of our DD and we are also giving her Photo Stamps from Stamps.com. Stamps are something she will definately use and she will love seeing a pic of her great granddaughter on them. Thanks again for all your suggestions!! You are all really creative. Thanks for sharing.

kozachka
12-13-2006, 10:01 AM
Glad you posted this. Any ideas for an almost 95-year old grandma who can't see much? We've given her slippers, face cream and parfume in the past. I like the idea of a frame with DS' voice but think it would be logistically difficult to accomplish.