PDA

View Full Version : Need fresh eyes-installing speed bumps in front of my house?

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
12-13-2006, 08:51 AM
We live in a small neighborhood of 14 homes. Most of the homes are in a circle but to get to them you have to drive down a section of straight road ( where our house is). One neighbor always drives way too fast in front of my house, I am talking like 65-70MPH. My next door neighbor also has two small kids and we have both spoken to this woman who is the fast driver on many occassions about slowing way down. She always says that she will but never does for long. Before I had kids this just annoyed me but now it really, really scares me. Aside from the fact that she could hit someone, there are deer in that road all the time and driving that fast is just plain stupid. I also am not sure what she is gaining by driving that fast a a soon a she gets past our house she has to go across a winding bridge then come to a dead stop to get through a gate. Our HOA has discussed putting speed bumps in front of our house to slow this woman down. They said they were going to do it but in two years it has not actually happened. So here is my dilema- we could go ahead and put the bumps in ourselves but I know that they are so unpopular with responsible drivers, hard on you car, etc. We own the road in front of our homes here so we are within our legal rights but this would be a pain to lots of people.
This has been spinning in my head for long time so tell me what you would do. (talking to her again will do no good long term she knows the speed bump option is on the table).

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

elliput
12-13-2006, 08:57 AM
Even though you own the road in front of your house, 65+ mph in a residential zone is illegal. Call the cops every time you see her speed by.

punkrockmama
12-13-2006, 09:02 AM
I don't know Susan.....How important is it to you to not piss off your neighbors? I mean, will doing it really alienate you from the people you'll be living by for a long, long time?

That said, I'd do it. My kids not getting hit by a car trumps people not waving to me from across the street. Really, I would totally have them put in, especially if the HOA showed no signs of ponying up. Some people may think it extreme, but I know where you're coming from. Whenever I hear tires screech the first thing I think is omg I hope there's no kids around there.

Good luck to ya sister. :) Let us know what you decide and how it turns out. I'm sorry, but that lady is one dumb b!tch to drive like that knowing there are small children in the area. Sorry you have to worry about her!

sarahsthreads
12-13-2006, 09:02 AM
As much as I absolutely *hate* speed bumps, if it were an option to put them in front of our house I would seriously consider it. We are on a *very* residential street (smack in the middle of a development, nowhere near the main roads) and people still come around the curve on our street like they're on a racetrack. I actually don't take DD or the dogs for nearly enough walks because I am very worried about one of us getting hit.

Can you have a sheriff park his car in your driveway for a day or two and catch her in the act? A 65-70 mph ticket in what, a 25-30 mph zone? is going to be a very big fine and might make her think twice.

But if it were me (I have a sheriff living next door to me, he keeps his car parked in plain sight, and that hasn't deterred anyone) I would do the speed bumps.

Good luck, I know how frustrating and scary it is to have people drive insanely fast past your house!

Sarah :)

jd11365
12-13-2006, 09:03 AM
We had a similar problem in our old neighborhood.

I'd track her patterns if possible, and ask for the police to check it out at those times. I'd also push further with the HOA by personally attending the meetings and demanding some kind of response by them. You can also call your city/county and ask for a Slow Children Playing sign to be put on your street. It's usually free, and I'm considering that myself as we have tons of kids in our neighborhood, and lots of people with lead feet.

Not sure if I'd put speedbumps in myself quite yet, but I wouldn't dismiss the idea completely.

o_mom
12-13-2006, 09:31 AM
When you say you own the road, do you mean you personally or the HOA? Most times if you own the land, it is just to the center of the road and the city/county has an easment and is responsible for the road.

Even if you legally can put them in, if you put the speed bumps in yourself, you could be liable for any car damage. I would work with the city or make my presence very well known at all HOA meetings until they did something. Perhaps the city could put in one of those radar signs that tells people what their speed is until you get some action. Certainly consult a lawyer before you put anything in - make sure that it is not just wasted effort if the city will just come remove them or worse fine you.

Maybe you could put cones out or those green kids playing signs when you are out. Put is right in the middle of the road so that she would have to slow down to go around it. Just as a temporary thing.

JBaxter
12-13-2006, 09:33 AM
Call the non emergency number for your local police. Tell them about what is going on and you are worried about someone hitting a child. Let them know apox times the speeding happens and see if they could possible send a policeman to set up a radar trap. ( not that I have ever done such a thing :) )

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
12-13-2006, 09:40 AM
Oh, I have already alienated most of the neighbors when they decided they wanted to landscape the circle they all live around and that we never really see. the committee went and had a beautiful and very very expenive project drawn up and presented it at a meeting. In my world you start with an agreed to $ figure and then figure out what you can fit into the budget. We ended up doing only about half what the committee was recommending. Those woman really began to dislike me that very day. The HOA is worthless, three member officers ( DH is treasurer) who don't like to make waves and move at a snail's pace. I guess what I am trying to say is that I am already the odd man out here so what they think of me really does not matter. Oh and also the driver is a mother of three, you would think she would GET it.

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
12-13-2006, 09:59 AM
Oh jeez that is a really good point about liability. I am so glad you brought that up... We do own the road ourselves and rest of HOA has an easement, the city does not maintain this road. I hate that this woman is
putting me in this situation.
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

KBecks
12-13-2006, 10:03 AM
I can empathize a bit, we live in cul-de-sac and some neighbors tear down it for no reason (it's a very short straight area). 60-70 mph is completely unreasonable.

Would your local law enforcement be any help? Maybe posting a "slow - children at play" sign?

I have never experienced speed bumps on a "public" road. Our village just installed a roundabout in an area where people were going way too fast, and it helped. I'm not opposed to speed bumps. Maybe checking with the other homeowners to see if you can get majority support for it would be a good idea too.

Good luck!

ctmom
12-13-2006, 10:47 AM
what about speaking to the local authorities and asking them to put one of those big digital "your speed is ___, and the speed limit is 25" signs. If she sees it in big letters/numbers she might realize you are serious...

Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03

JMS
12-13-2006, 10:47 AM
Real quick: (I haven't had time to read through the other responses), but we are in a similar situation and I've been told by the authorities that bumps have an effect on snow removal (i.e., only certain types of plowing vehicles can go over bumps)..
Sorry if it's already been discussed.. and I don't think you live in FL, right ??
:)

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
12-13-2006, 10:53 AM
Again, Something that never occured to me, thank you. I have our plow guys number right here and am going to see what he says.
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

MartiesMom2B
12-13-2006, 11:00 AM
We have people speed by my house too. I'm tempted to buy a bunch of playground balls and just throw them in the street when I see a speeder coming. Maybe you should start doing the same and if something happens just claim that the ball slipped out of your hand.

-Sonia
Mommy to Martie
& Li'l Girl Bunny to come Feb. 2007
http://bd.lilypie.com/Kchhm4/.png (http://lilypie.com)

bostonsmama
12-13-2006, 11:09 AM
ITA w/ Jeana! If putting the little green man in the dead middle of the road doesn't stop her, call in a favor from the police and have them catch her in the act. We live in the middle of a straight away that's right before a dead end and have this crazy 'yotch who tears down here every night when she comes home around midnight. I swear she uses her emergency break to park the car in a James Bond-esque type of move. We called the police to come out and sit one evening and he only clocked her at 42mph, so it wasn't reckless driving (I think it's 20 over, not 15 here). Anyways, it looked like 60/70, but it wasn't. Still would kill a child if struck (and illegal), but frustrating all the same. I haven't seen the girl in forever (maybe she moved), but it's worth a try.

FTR, I *hate* *hate* *hate* speed bumps and what they do to the suspension, let alone gas mileage when having to come to a complete stop and accelerate again. And I guess if that doesn't work, you could always embarrass the crap out of her by putting up a huge 5-ft sign in your yard saying

"Xxxx from 923 Easy Street: Please stop driving 60mph through our neighborhood and putting our children at risk!"

DDowning
12-13-2006, 11:13 AM
In our community the talk of speedbumps to slow cars down was always denied because it would impede emergency vehicles (ambulance, firetrucks, etc.).

Sorry that the lady is being such a stinker to you and disregarding your safety. I agree with PP's, the way to get through to her might be heavy fines.

candybomiller
12-13-2006, 11:14 AM
I guess a duct tape force field is out of the question, huh? :)

Can you put something in the middle of the road so that she hits it? Maybe then she'll get the idea. Maybe a crash test dummy the size of a kid?

I wonder if you can put in some sort of gate in front of your house. Or one of those street barricades that says "children playing." I've seen them in various catalogs.

What a crappy situation. I'm wondering if since you own the road in front of your house if the cops can even do anything. I like the pp's suggestion of throwing balls at her car, but if it were me, I'd probably "accidentally" launch a melon at her car.

sdbc
12-13-2006, 11:42 AM
That is a bad idea. If they really are speeding fast, they might try to swerve around it and lose control of the vehicle. You are more likely to cause a fatal accident than avoid one.

I would call the police and ask them to come around.

Sue, mommy to Aurora (Rory) born 5/13/04

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
12-13-2006, 12:21 PM
That is another really good point. Thank you!

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

KBecks
12-13-2006, 01:35 PM
I just read something about a speed hump that is like 10 ft wide that is less jarring, fwiw.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=541130

MartiesMom2B
12-13-2006, 02:40 PM
I never would because it probably would cause an accident. We have police officers that live on this street, and people don't slow down. We've asked for police help several times, but the other side of the district is a higher crime area and they don't have enough officers to enforce. We had the speed limit lowered in our neighborhood - but that hasn't really made a difference.

-Sonia
Mommy to Martie
& Li'l Girl Bunny to come Feb. 2007
http://bd.lilypie.com/Kchhm4/.png (http://lilypie.com)

crl
12-13-2006, 02:41 PM
I've seen speed bumps with a flat section for emergency vehicles--the emergency vehicles drive in the middle of the road to use the flat section but everyone else is supposed to stay in their lane and thus go over the bump. Just thought I'd mention this style.

I think I'd try to get the police to ticket her first and see if that slowed her down any. But I definitely would not rule out installing speed bumps myself.

o_mom
12-13-2006, 03:04 PM
If you do get some HOA action (maybe volunteer to do it?) check out this site:

http://www.emedco.com/dept3.asp?dept%5Fid=7486

They even have rumble strips - might be a less jarring alternative?

ribbit1019
12-13-2006, 03:20 PM
We have these at work for the ped x-ways and they aren't too bad. They don't annoy me nearly as much as the reg speed bumps.

Sorry she is putting you in such a spot Susan. :(

Christy
Wife to Richard
My Waterbabies
http://lilypie.com/pic/060928/Yw0w.jpg http://b3.lilypie.com/H-lkm5.png
http://lilypie.com/pic/060928/iBmU.jpg http://bf.lilypie.com/tkq-m5.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/steitzsmith/Other/jump.gif

oliviasmomma
12-13-2006, 04:41 PM
I was just about to post rumble strips too! They don't interfere with the plows, are more annoying than dangerous, and are easier to maintain. Many of the roads around here (MI's thumb) use them at the two-way stops. We have a lot of snow, but the trucks don't have a problem with them.

rlu
12-13-2006, 04:41 PM
>what about speaking to the local authorities and asking them
>to put one of those big digital "your speed is ___, and the
>speed limit is 25" signs. If she sees it in big
>letters/numbers she might realize you are serious...
>
>Mary
>dd#1 2/01
>dd#2 12/03

I third this. Luckily we don't have this issue at our house, but my ILs did before they moved. People would turn off a curve onto their street and slide into the curb area in front of their house - one crashed one of their cars and another impaled his car (hit and run) on the bike rack on the back of their motorhome. Police presence helped for a while, as did these types of signs. Since you're aiming at a limited number of people, hopefully this sign would work.

ETA: When I was a crossing guard (eons ago) I used to fantasize about stockpiling waterballoons filled with red kool-aid to toss as people ran through our stop-signs. Probably not a good idea, (swerving, etc.) but I really considered it.

asha
12-13-2006, 04:47 PM
I have thought abt throwing a few balls in the middle of teh street too. What is the guarantee that the kids are not going to run into the street to fetch the ball.

Tondi G
12-13-2006, 07:44 PM
I'd put up bumps/humps/rumble strips.... whatever! If it's your property and you have asked her to slow down and she obviously doesn't give a SH*T then go for it! Talk to your plow person and see what will and won't work for them! Call the police in the mean time and ask them what you could do to get someone out there to issue her a ticket for reckless driving!

It would be a bummer for her to get a speeding ticket there but even a bigger bummer if she hit and killed a deer or a child there! Her family sure would be bummed if she went to jail cause she couldn't control her driving!

Can you see about getting a posted speed limit sign as well???

I say just do everything..... hopefully it'll get the point across! If it were me... and I knew what time she would be roaring down the road I'd put out nails or spike strips and blow out her tires! LOL

~Tondi

C99
12-13-2006, 09:35 PM
My neighborhood association has been trying to get our alderman to put speed bumps in on my street for the past 6 years. If we could do it ourselves, I think we would have by now!

If I called the police every time someone blew the stop sign on the corner or screeched up the street, I'd never get OFF the phone.