PDA

View Full Version : Did you go to any classes to prep for #2?

neeter
12-14-2006, 12:24 PM
We are expecting our second in early March, and haven't really done anything to prepare! Last time around, we were in the midst of Bradley classes, breastfeeding classes, newborn care, etc etc. If its been 3 years, should I sign up for bf classes and maybe a newborn care...or will it just all come back to me?! (I'm hoping for the latter).

Or is there a website/newborn care book I can just browse through for a refresher (I remember we used to keep of log of DS' dirty diapers for a week, but can't remember how many we're supposed to have to make sure he's eating enough, etc).

TIA!

LarsMal
12-14-2006, 12:54 PM
We didn't take any refresher classes, but DS is only 15 months, so it hasn't been that long- and there are things I still remember that I wish I could forget! We did take a hospital tour, though, so we know exactly where we are supposed to go (depending on the time of day we need to come in, etc.).

I remember the nurse going over all the diaper charting, feeding schedule, bathing, diaper changing, and things like that before I left the hospital, and our ped went over it again at the 4-day visit. I don't think you need a class for things like that. What to Expect the First Year has a lot of that info., too.

A lot of hospitals offer a short refresher course, usually just one session that lasts a couple hours. You will go over breathing, stages of labor and that sort of thing. That might be helpful.

Good luck!

lisams
12-14-2006, 12:56 PM
I'm taking the childbirth class again since it's been 4 years. We're also taking the hospital "tour" since I'm sure there could be some changes since four years ago. DD took a sibling prep. class through the hospital that was really good.

As far as newborn care and breastfeeding I feel pretty ready (well as ready as you can get!!) I have the Sears Baby book for a resource.

scoop22
12-14-2006, 01:21 PM
we didn't take classes for #1. i went into it blind.. that is what i wanted. i can't tell you and resources but i hope you can get some answers here. it is all in how comfortable you feel.

http://b2.lilypie.com/XbITm4.png

neeter
12-14-2006, 01:34 PM
thanks guys - i'l take a look at the "what to expect" book. i'm glad that the nurses will cover those important topics while in the hospital. i did sign us up for the hospital tour (since its a different hospital this time around) and the sibling tour. thanks!!

Piglet
12-14-2006, 01:57 PM
I went to classes with #1 and honestly hated every minute of it. They were useless! Maybe it is just our city, but I have friends who felt the same way. I didn't take any classes with #2 (not even the tour since it was the same hospital). My kids are about 4 years apart and I got right back into the swing of things with BF, newborn care, etc. It comes back to you - have confidence in your abilities! Trust me, it was so much less learning with #2 (although #1 still gave me a run for my money when he started acting out after his beloved brother was born, LOL). Also, with #2, you have more confidence in what you are doing and often times know what works better for you trhan the books and websites do. How many of us thought we we never do something and then discovered that it was a lifesaver, or vice versa. Those same things will come back to you with #2. Books are great for middle of the night queries, but these boards were my best resource for day-to-day stuf (and even some middle of the night things - the search feature was super helpful).

Momof3Labs
12-14-2006, 02:26 PM
I did a bf'ing class only with #2. Had a rough start to bf'ing with #1, plus I wanted to meet the LCs at the new hospital (and understand their hours, services, etc.). Most of the info was a review, but they offered a tip on latching on a newborn (flipping the nipple into their mouth, versus a sandwich hold that never worked well for me) that I hadn't seen at the hospital where #1 was born, and it helped us a lot!

Are you giving birth at the same hospital? If not, you might want to tour the hospital and talk to the LCs, just to understand how the new hospital is different.

brittone2
12-14-2006, 02:35 PM
I did a hypnobirthing class with DS. This time around I did the Hypnobabies program (CDs that I used at home) and skipped a class. I was happy with that arrangement.

I didn't take any newborn care or BFing classes this time. The midwife went through a quick refresher on newborn care as did our family practice doc.

Maybe buy a good BFing book? LLL came out w/ an updated version of the Womanly Art book a year or two ago. Maybe something like that, plus sites like kellymom.com as a refresher? I had to remind myself a bit of how to get a newborn latched well (I'm lazy from nursing a toddler...he's been on autopilot so long I had to think about how to actually get a baby on the breast).

SnuggleBuggles
12-14-2006, 02:54 PM
Skip that "What to Expect" book, there are better ones. :)

For basic baby care go with the AAP's "Caring for your Baby and Young Child."

For more in depth feeding and sleep info go with something like "The Baby Book" by Dr. Sears.

Check out Penny Simkin's "Pregnancy, Childbirth and the Newborn" for some great info on the early weeks with regards to baby and you.

For breastfeeding I would check out "The Nursing Mother's Companion" by Huggins or just head to kellymom.com.

For pregnancy I would choose "The Pregnancy Book" by Dr. Sears and "Bun in the Oven" by Kaz Cooke (it is funny a la the "Girlfriends' Guide" but more informative and offers some more varied POVs- much better than the GFG, imo). Since you took Bradley last time you probably have a good birth library but just in case I would add "The Birth Book" by Dr. Sears.

We are TTC #2 and it will be a 5 year gap but beyond a tour of the birth center or hospital (if I don't do a home birth) I won't be doing any other classes. I may look for a sibling class though.

I am counting on it coming back to me. :)

Beth

Wife_and_mommy
12-14-2006, 04:12 PM
We took a Bradley refresher class. It was one night for a couple of hours. It was helpful and also encouraging to be around other pg couples.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

http://b1.lilypie.com/QQKqm4.png
http://b3.lilypie.com/UnbPm4.png

bunnisa
12-14-2006, 04:53 PM
NAK

Took Bradley the first time, just read some Ina May Gaskin books the second time around (books I didn't have time the first time).

...blessed wife and mama to two!

"And children are always a good thing, devoutly to be wished for and fiercely to be fought for."
-Justin Torres

maestramommy
12-14-2006, 08:52 PM
I think if I do anything this time it'll be listening to a Hypnobabies course.

neeter
12-14-2006, 10:40 PM
thanks for all the the great feedback and suggestions! well i know i'm having a repeat c-section, and i tried hypnobabies the first time around (with a stalled labor). great ideas here...and seriously i think all of a sudden, how am i going to remember how to do this -- i really hope it just all comes back to me! but i will do some website and book refreshers on my own -- its preferable to taking a course!

dh took a look at a journal he's been keeping for ds, and for an entry when ds was about 2 months old - "last night wasn't so bad, you only work up two times!!" and we were groaning....omg!

SnuggleBuggles
12-14-2006, 10:45 PM
When I first read this I missed the RCS part, I was going to say to focus birth prep on malpositioned babies (a major source of stalled labors). But, sounds like you are all set there.

Very cool that dh kept a journal!

I also cringe at the idea of all those night wakings! I guess we got through it once already though, right? :)

Beth

JBaxter
12-15-2006, 07:06 AM
I didnt take a refresher between 1 and 2 but I did take a class between 2&3 because it had been 9yrs. Quite frankly it was a waist of time( crappy nurse that me and 4 others complained about). I could have taught the class. For me it was like riding a bike labor/bfing/ newborn care all just clicked in at the time.