PDA

View Full Version : How do you organize your monthly bills?

TLC1994
12-15-2006, 09:37 AM
Now that 2007 is approaching, I need some help to develop a better system for paying our bills. It seems like we have so many receipts, statements, etc. and I can't seem to find a good system to keep everything organized.

I'd appreciate some help! Thanks!!!

Mommy Of A Little Angel
12-15-2006, 09:58 AM
I have a filing cabinet with hanging folders for each month. I put all receipts, bills, etc. in there so I can refer back to it later. (This is a lifesaver when I need to return something - I ALWAYS have the receipt!) I pay all my bills online so I don't have to worry about mailing bills or about them getting there on time. After I pay the bill, I print out the confirmation for my records just in case there is ever a problem. I file that printout as well.

I also use a spreadsheet for all bills so I know if they are paid and if they have cleared yet. I have one spreadsheet for each month with a column for each of the following:
-bill
-date due
-the amount expected
-the actual amount
-if it's auto-pay or not
-date paid
-date cleared from checking account

So far the system has worked out pretty well for me. I know that I have paid everything and all the paper stuff is neatly filed. At the end of the year, I transfer the files to a box and mark it with the year.

KBecks
12-15-2006, 02:26 PM
I recommend using software like Quicken or MS Money.
We use a file cabinet and a fireproof safe for record-keeping.
I've been a mess since baby#2. Purge most of your files annually -- I'd toss stuff like basic bills, etc. etc. Or you can go electronic statements on lots of things.

Try to pay bills the day they come in, or schedule online payments.

LarsMal
12-15-2006, 02:35 PM
We have a filing cabinet with hanging files for important bill or receipts that we need to keep. Other than that, if we don't need it- we trash it. I used to keep EVERYTHING, but DH has taught me that I don't need to do that.

We also have a bill organizer...similar to this one:

http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=153280&Ntt=bill organizer&uniqueSearchFlag=true&An=text

When bills come in I look them over, tear off the pay portion, attach it to its' envelope and put it in the sorter. I've always put them under the date they are due, but in 2007 I'm going to put them under the date I need to send the payment.

SnuggleBuggles
12-15-2006, 03:46 PM
I try and pay the bills the day they arrive. I pay them online and write on the paper bill (if I get one which I don't for more than half of them) how much I paid, date paid and the confirmation number from the bank. Then those bills just get filed away. I only keep bill statements one year now.

Reciepts I keep in a big bin till it gets too cluttered. I go through them then and throw out most. I try and keep reciepts for big ticket items of other important things with their product manuals in my product info binder (which, admittedly, I have not kept up with so it is currently a box of product info).

Back when I was paying bills at certain times of the month (aka, on payday) I would gather all bills as they arrived into a page protector. On the outside of the page protector I had marked which bills get paid with each pay check. In addition to the bills I had envelopes and stamps in there.

GL!
Beth