PDA

View Full Version : Which type of cookie would you prefer?

almostamom
12-15-2006, 12:35 PM
We always exchange small gifts with our neighbors for Christmas. I've decided to do a "cookie mix in a jar" this year, but I can't decide which type of cookie would go over best. I'd prefer to only have to buy the ingredients for one type. Snickerdoodles are my favs, but I don't know if everyone would like them. Which type would you prefer?

Thanks,
Linda

Aunt to sweet baby boy
12-15-2006, 01:12 PM
I would go with your favorite cookie. I personally do not like snickerdoodles, but i do not particularly like cookies without chocolate. every time i make snickerdoodles they are loved and adored, and i am sure anyone would love to get any cookie mix, that is a great idea!

Ilana, aka Nana to my sweet nephew Avi

http://lilypie.com/pic/061128/V76Q.jpg[/img]http://b3.lilypie.com/wYA-m8/.png[/img][/url]

buddyleebaby
12-15-2006, 01:16 PM
I didn't vote because I don't know what snickerdoodles are.
From the others on your list I would have to say my favorite is oatmeal, as long as there are NO raisins.

On a side note, where do you get the jars and how long is the mix good for once put together?

I want to do something like this for "just in case" gifts but I don't want to do it too early.

almostamom
12-15-2006, 01:28 PM
Alicia, according to the book of recipes I'm using, the ingredients are good for "a few months". Rather vague as to a use by date, but there's no harm in making them now (I'm doing this tomorrow). I bought the jars (Ball brand wide mouth canning jars) at the grocery store.

Snickerdoodles are like a sugar cookie rolled in cinnamon sugar before they are baked. I can't make anything with nuts or chocolate. My son is highly allergic and I can't allow those things to touch any utensils or bowls in our house. If I go with the M&M cookies, I'll just put them straight from the bag to the jar without touching anything else.

Linda

Mommy Of A Little Angel
12-15-2006, 01:36 PM
We LOVE snickerdoodles over here so I would say go with those! I am sure that your neighbors will love them.

On a side note, have you ever tried Vermont Nut-Free Chocolate for your son? I used to babysit a child who was HIGHLY allergic to peanuts. (The parents found out this allergy because he went into anaphylactic shock from smelling peanut butter on his dad's sandwich.) His mom would order from them so she could make him cookies or he could have a treat every now and then. They have really good chocolate and they are completely nut-free. Just something if you ever need a treat for DS. Here's the website:
http://www.vermontnutfree.com/

buddyleebaby
12-15-2006, 01:42 PM
Thanks!

I officially voted for oatmeal. It does sound like snickerdoodles would be great of you like cinnamon though. I'm just not a fan.

almostamom
12-15-2006, 01:49 PM
Thank you!! We've known for awhile that DS was allergic to nuts but just confirmed it this week. (I know, that sounds funny, but the blood test said he was allergic and the skin test showed no reaction.) We did a controlled food challenge earlier this week. He was given a miniscule amount (about the size of a grain of rice) of peanut butter and had a strong reaction to it within 4 minutes. Anyway, I'm glad to know about that site and their chocolate. I feel like he misses out on so much that his buddies enjoy - especially at birthday parties. I really appreciate the info.

Thanks,
Linda

LarsMal
12-15-2006, 01:54 PM
Ummmm...I can't vote because I'd like them ALL :-) Considering I've eaten about 2 dozen different cookies in the past 3 days, I probably shouldn't be giving out votes!

M&M cookies might look more festive in a jar- you could even get the holiday colored ones.

I'd be happy if I received any of them though, what a fun gift!

LarsMal
12-16-2006, 01:15 PM
Cherrybrook Kitchen has some great products as well. We have made their choc. chip cookies, cupcakes, and pancakes. All very yummy!

http://www.cherrybrookkitchen.com/

tarabenet
12-16-2006, 11:57 PM
Not what you asked, but if you gave me a mix, I would tend to assume that whatever was in it was safe for your DC. I might make them or try to make similar for you and your child when you came to visit, for instance.

almostamom
12-17-2006, 11:12 AM
Tara, I appreciate your insight and if I was giving this to casual friends I would be in complete agreement with you. The neighbors we exchange with are very close friends and are all very much aware of DS' allergies. I absolutely see your point though and will keep it in mind should I ever do an exchange with folks we aren't so close with. Thanks for the advice!

SnuggleBuggles
12-17-2006, 02:02 PM
Chocolate is always going to win out in my book. :)

Beth