PDA

View Full Version : Quick update....

JenaW
12-15-2006, 03:43 PM
Natalie is doing great. She unfortunately is back on oxygen right now because of a cold, but hopefully it will be short-lived. We just started oral steroids and increased her inhaled meds, and she usually responds pretty quickly to them. It is alawys a bit scary when she gets sick, and I have no clue how we would handle a hospitalization with a newborn if it came to that, so I am happy this doesn't seem too serious. Her reflux is finally well controlled on the meds, and she is really starting to eat AND more importantly enjoys it. Even though she only has 1 1/2 teeth on the bottom, she wants ANYTHING she can get her hands on. At the ped last week she weighed in at a whopping 16 pounds 13 oz - ok, so not alot for a 15 month old, but she has come a long way from the 1 lb 12 oz at birth!! She isn't walking yet, but manages to get anywhere she wants to with crawling. Her OT has recently starting working on standing, and she is amazed by how determined she is. You show her something once and she tries and tries until she figures out how to do it again! She loves Carter and Maddie, and tolerates Alexa. We are having some MAJOR stranger anxiety issues, which makes it very hard for me to do anything, as simply leaving the room she is in (even at home if anyone else is there) sets off a screaming fit. I am hoping that as she gets older and more comfortable around others, it will lessen somewhat.

I can't believe Alexa is alraedy 6 weeks old (today!). At times, it seems like only yesterday I was still pregnant, but then it seems like she has been with us forever. THANK GOD she is an easy baby. She still sleeps very long stretches (well, during the night, not quite as long at night, of course), and only cries when wet or hungry. I actualy enjoy our nighttime nursing sessions, because they are the rare times that I can sit and snuggle with her. I worry that she is not getting alot of one-on-one time, but I guess as long as her needs are met, she will be fine. She weighed 6lbs 12oz at birth, and was already 8lbs 15oz at her one month check-up. Tell that to the doctor that said my breastmilk was not "high calorie" enough!!! At this rate, she will be bigger than Natalie soon.

Carter and Maddie are the same as always...typical toddlers that I love one minute and want to strangle the next (NOT LITERALLY!). We are having some issues with C and the potty. He has been trained since school started, but he constantly has "accidents" since Alexa's birth. I know it is an attention issue, and I am not sure how to handle it. I have several things, none of which seem to be working. When I ask him why he does it, he replies "well sometimes I feel like going in the potty, sometimes I don't." Not sure what to make of that. If it were an accident, I wouldn't get so upset. I know he is only 3 1/2, and he still needs mommy time and I try to make sure he gets some each day, but it is hard with 4. I still do not have help. We found a college girl on Craigslist, and I was very excited for her to start. She seemed great with the kids when she came out to meet them, but then I got an email from her saying her sister's car was in an accident and she could not help me. Not sure if we scared her away or what. None of my emails/voicemails have been answered. Out of 15+ emails to ads on craigslist, she was the only response I got. I am still trying. We did get the name of someone who will come and clean the house, do laundry, etc. We'll see if that helps. I think she will start after Christmas, so at least that will free up some of my time to spend more with the kids. Right now, I try to use the time when they are sleeping to get chores done, but I really need to be able to nap, so I can get up earlier in the mornings. I have been sleeping in in the mornings until 7 - C and M are usually up by 5:30-6. Most of hte time they just go downstairs and watch TV (I know, not the best thing in the world), but occasionally (like today) I wake up to find them sitting on the living room floor sharing a bucket of ice cream. (At least they were sharing and not fighting :). But I am sure it is only a matter of time before something happens. Even though I like to think our house is safe, and it is small enough that I would hear if anything happened, I am worried it is only a matter of time before something bad does happen. After all, they are 2 and 3 1/2...not exactly old enough to be "watching" themselves. Between N and A, I do not get alot of sleep, and never more than an hour uninterrupted, so I need to figure something out.

Well, C is awake, so there goes my "free" time. Someday I will get a chance to get online and actually spend some time here. I miss reading about how everyone is doing.

Jera
Mom to Carter ~ 05.13.03
Madigan ~ 09.28.04
Natalie ~ 09.17.05 (born at 25 weeks!!)
Alexa ~ 11.03.06

TaChapm
12-15-2006, 04:19 PM
Jera,
So good to hear that you are making it with 4 kids. I hope Natalie recovers from her cold but it soulds like otherwise she is doing good. Amazing how far she has come!

Hang in there! Life with 3 is crazy so I can't even imagine how you are handeling it all. You are my hero!:)

Tara
Mommy to Jackson 11-10-02
Tyler 6-9-05
& Baby Jaci 8-10-06

http://b5.lilypie.com/IV-Mm6.png

http://b2.lilypie.com/sJmVm7.png

http://b1.lilypie.com/EZwnm7.png

alexsmommy
12-15-2006, 04:25 PM
I hope you have a wonderful Christmas with your four little ones. The fact that you post at all amazes me. You do what you have to do to get by, you know (as far as tv watching). Take care of yourself and I am hoping Christmas brings you a competent, loving, high-energy babysitter.
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

kimbe
12-15-2006, 04:32 PM
It is always so wonderful to hear from you Jera!!! I get so excited when I see a post from you! I am glad to hear that things are going well. I hope that Natalie gets better very quickly --- it sounds like she is doing fantastic though! 16lbs 13oz -- that is amazing.

You are an amazing lady and you and your family are always in my thoughts!

I hope that you find someone to help out soon. Hang in there!

JenaW
12-15-2006, 04:49 PM
I can be having the absolute WORST day ever, feeling very down and depressed, and I simply come here and post and you guys make me feel so special. I often feel like I was not cut out to be a mother, and I do not understand why God felt the need to bless me with four kids in such a short period of time. Don't get me wrong...I LOVE my children, but I am incredibly overwhelmed, and often feel like a huge failure. Thank you, all three of you, for taking the time to make me feel special! I certainly do not feel amazing, or hero-worthy, but it is so nice to know that others think that way of me.

...leaving now with tears in my eyes...

Jera
Mom to Carter ~ 05.13.03
Madigan ~ 09.28.04
Natalie ~ 09.17.05 (born at 25 weeks!!)
Alexa ~ 11.03.06

lmintzer
12-15-2006, 05:11 PM
Jera,
I think we all have those days--when we feel like we weren't cut out to be parents--or just feel like our children are putting us over the edge.

The difference is that you are (and have been) dealing with so many additional challenges--above and beyond the daily parenting dilmemas. The fact that you are still on your feet and trying . . . the fact that you CAN find good things to say about your toddlers (I KNOW firsthand how hard they are at those ages). The fact that your pride in Natalie's development is in your every word--the fact that you still can find joy in your new baby--the fact that you are nursing her and giving up your sleep. These all make you worthy our our admiration.

I'm sure you aren't doing it perfectly, but if there's any one out there who claims to be, they are not being truthful with themselves! There's only but so much any one person can do. The more we get stretched thin, the more we are snappy, the less we can give. Even if you can't give all to any one child, you are still doing WAY more than many could or would.

I wish you and your family a very happy holiday season. Please do not despair--your beautiful little babies--all 4--know how much you love them. They will forgive you your small failures. They will see lots of joy in each other's eyes and your eyes this holiday season, and they will remember that. I hope you find a babysitter very very soon. If I could send you one thing, that's what would be first on the list! You'll be amazed at how much better it is with some help.

almostamom
12-15-2006, 05:26 PM
Jera,
It's always good to see a post from you! Hopefully Miss Natalie's cold will be history before too long. Hang in there, mama! You know what I love about you - you just say it like it is. I admire your honesty. In a world where so many seem to sugar-coat things to make themselves or their lives seem better, you are real. I can only imagine what life with 4 is like. Life with one tiny tornado has me tap dancing as fast as I can most days. May your family have continued good health in the coming year and may you find the perfect sitter to give you a break!! Happy Holidays.

Hugs,
Linda

SweetTooth
12-15-2006, 07:20 PM
Jera,
I often wonder how you & your family are doing & so appreciate your posts. I'm glad that everyone is doing well. I am very much in awe of you & your mama skills. May you & your family have a joyous holiday & a healthy & very happy new year. I sure hope you find a way to get more time for yourself so you can at least get some sleep!!
Continuing to send positive thoughts your way....

maestramommy
12-15-2006, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the update Jera, and in spite of daily challenges, I'm glad everything is going well, esp. with baby Alexa! Take care!

randomkid
12-15-2006, 10:45 PM
Jera:

I've never replied to your posts, but always read your updates and I am amazed every time. I honestly don't know how you manage! If I lived near you, I'd come help once in a while - you deserve it! Hopefully, you will find the help you need soon.

What inspired me to reply was your statement about Natalie's weight. I think nearly 17 pounds at 15 months is awesome. I don't think my DD weighed that much at 15 months and she was full term. She is now 23 months and only weighs 22 pounds. Sounds like Natalie's doing great! Here's hoping she's well soon.

mamato1
12-15-2006, 11:49 PM
All I can say is you are one amazing woman. Hopefully Natalie's cold will be over soon and you can get back to normal. Although I admit that just the thought of your normal exhausts me! :)
Chris

Mama to Brendan, aka Boomer, my little peanut who is allergic to peanuts! 01/16/04

http://b3.lilypie.com/FnI6m5/.png

KBecks
12-16-2006, 09:27 AM
Thank you for keeping us posted!

As for the sitter, I thought I'd share that we found our new sitter through the local library. I asked the children's librarian (who teaches the cert. course) if she knew any teen girls who might be interested, and she then emailed a message to her volunteers from the summer reading program with our contact info. Just a thought in case it helps you.

Hope you have a great Christmas!

Karen

Aunt to sweet baby boy
12-16-2006, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the update, i hope that everyone's health stays good and that both babies continue to grow!

Ilana, aka Nana to my sweet nephew Avi

http://lilypie.com/pic/061128/V76Q.jpg[/img]http://b3.lilypie.com/wYA-m8/.png[/img][/url]

american_mama
12-17-2006, 10:14 PM
Jera, others have said it so well. You do an awesome job and are such a lovely, intimate writer to boot. Three years old was a very trying time with my oldest, and it did get better over the next year.

As for why God has given you all this, obviously none of us know the answer. But I have thought several times about the thread where you first announced your pregnancy with Alexa, and some of the replies started to generate hurt feelings. You wrote such a gentle and calm post which, to me, totally defused the situation in a way that rarely happens on BBB or in life. You were so able to see different perspectives about getting pregnant, staying pregnant, and having a child because you'd been in so many of those situations. I think of what a gift that is, to understand different and sometimes opposing perspectives, and how much that wisdom will help your friends, family, patients, and even strangers.

So many of us are cheering you on, good and bad days alike.

JenaW
12-18-2006, 03:32 PM
Thank you, ALL of you, for taking the time to respond. Your encouragements and kind words mean so much to me. Of course I am excited and proud of Natalie's achievements, but it is so nice to be able to share that excitement with you. I never know if I should post or not. I sometimes wonder if my updates are "getting old," as it seems like the message is always the same..."Natalie is doing pretty well, I am super-stressed, yada yada yada." Thank you for making me feel special. I feel like many of you have been there with us right from the beginning. I have printed out and saved every post, starting with the one when Sharyn (SASM) posted about my water breaking. As you can see from my post count, I am not nearly as active as most of you, yet the warmth and support I receive from this community is nearly unparalled, even by my IRL friends and family.

Thank you!

J