PDA

View Full Version : Cricut, Xyron, or Sizzix Users

kjezierski
12-15-2006, 04:28 PM
I'm trying to decide if I want to invest in one of these. I'd like to hear from anyone who's used them and what you love and hate about them. Also, I've never seen them in action and just can't picture how you make borders or, especially cut outs with multiple colors.

Thank you for your help.

Kathleen
Mommy to Alex
04/29/04

kayte
12-15-2006, 04:52 PM
Speaking as an owner at one time or another of all three --and a Quickutz.... (I work in the industry) and I would say Wishblade from Xyron. It offers the most versatility and for the higher upfront cost you don't have to buy any add=ons. The sizzix and the Cricut require you to buy fonts and shapes which add up very quickly. The wishblade allows you to hook it a PC (not a Mac unless you are running windows, for now anyway) and print any font, image or design on your machine. With all the thousands of freeware fonts and dingbats out there, it makes the possibilities endless. With that said, you will still have to buy replacement mats (like the other 2 options you mentioned) so you investment isn't totally over. HOWEVER, if you tend to crop away from home, you will have to do a lot more pre-planning as the machine is not portable (since it hooks to your computer) unless you have a laptop and want to lug all that with you!

If you decide to get the Wishblade (or the Robo Craft , essentially the same machine), search out and join a yahoo group. They are a great place to exchange ideas and troubleshoot. There are some very talented ladies out there willing to share all they know and costum designs they have created!

AS for mulitple colors--it's a matter of using the software to cut certains sections at a time and you choose the paper colors. This is also true for shadowing letters.

HTH If you have anymore specific questions about the other devices, let me know.