PDA

View Full Version : OT: iTunes/mp3 questions

jgriffin
12-15-2006, 04:47 PM
My FIL suggested we get DH's aunt and uncle mp3 players for Christmas. FIL has an iPod, and a lot of music in iPod format. He wants to know if his music can be converted to mp3 format, and if one can purchase music in mp3 format from iTunes.

I know plenty about mp3 files, but nothing about iTunes and iPods. The iTunes website seems to say you can download mp3 files there, but it's not clear.

Could someone help sort this out for me please?

TIA!

Jen

caheinz
12-15-2006, 05:18 PM
You can burn a CD in MP3 format from iTunes, which can then be imported pretty much anywhere.

The Music Store is all in proprietary AAC format, but the above applies to music purchased there as well as that imported from CD.

HTH.

hwin708
12-15-2006, 11:18 PM
You cannot download mp3 files from iTunes, only m4p. It's their tricky way of trying to force you into using only their iPods and their music store.
There are plenty of programs that will convert the files into mp3s. Just google it.

BillK
12-15-2006, 11:23 PM
I always burn a regular old audio cd of whatever I purchase from iTunes with the iTunes software (for in my truck - and backup purposes too) - then immediately rip it to mp3 with WinAmp and save it on my hard drive alongside the iTunes m4p version.