PDA

View Full Version : Who does the Christmas shopping?

robinsonbn
12-17-2006, 03:07 AM
Just curious who does the Christmas shopping or any specail occaison shopping for that matter? I was watching that commercial about the "from us" gift which means one did all the looking and one has no idea what is in the box. I loved it cause well thats us. I do all the shopping, I'm lucky to get ideas from DH unless it's for his present of course. Then I tell him what we bought for who (and he usually doesn't listen). So he has no clue what is in the box ever, it is entertaing when DH looks just as surprised as the recipient!

bcky2
12-17-2006, 09:36 AM
i do it all, so dh is always suprised by what i get others as much as they are. the only gift he buys is for me and usually i have to tell him exactly what to get and where to go and get it at.

candybomiller
12-17-2006, 09:38 AM
Normally DH and I do the shopping together as we both enjoy it. This year I happened to do most all of it. He does know what everyone got though.

oliviasmomma
12-17-2006, 11:40 AM
I do about 90% of the shopping, but DH and I bounce ideas off each other first. This year, he picked out the gift for my parents, shopped and bought it. He likes to buy techie types of things, so if we decide to buy something like that, or tools, he does most of the shopping around. So, I guess we divide based on our area of expertise!

scoop22
12-17-2006, 11:58 AM
i come up with most of the ideas and dh pretends he knows what is going on. i make him decide on his father and grandfather. i have no clue when it come to them. dh is really good at helping out with my family. i can't say he loves to shop but he loves to find a good deal.

on the other hand dh can pick out a gift and still have no clue when someone opens it. i can always count on this..
http://b2.lilypie.com/XbITm4.png

elliput
12-17-2006, 12:01 PM
We usually shop together, but in the odd instance when DH or I buy something without the other we will show each other before the gift is wrapped. Just a bit of quality control for both parties. :P

hez
12-17-2006, 07:16 PM
We try to share it. We attempt to set it up so he manages gifts for his side, and I manage 'em for my family. There's some cross-over, especially when he's being indecisive. He actually did a pretty good job this year-- his whole family is done & sent and I only helped with one of 'em. My family's not done, but they're coming here so I have a little more time.

ribbit1019
12-17-2006, 07:35 PM
I do the majority of the shopping but I require that DH approve items if it is for his family. He buys little things here and there though and does contribute since most of the time we go shopping together.

Christy
Wife to Richard
My Waterbabies
http://lilypie.com/pic/060928/Yw0w.jpg http://b3.lilypie.com/H-lkm5.png
http://lilypie.com/pic/060928/iBmU.jpg http://bf.lilypie.com/tkq-m5.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/steitzsmith/Other/jump.gif

hillview
12-17-2006, 08:22 PM
I do 90% - 100% of the shopping. I usually run things by DH first esp for his family. He sort of knows but doesn't remember. This year he got his sister's gift (and mine I hope!) that's it.
/hillary

kelly ann
12-17-2006, 08:41 PM
I also do 90-100% of the shopping. And I do all of the photo gifts - for example, the calendar. However, he sent an email the other day to his brother explaining that he (not even we) was putting together a photo calendar for his parents!

saschalicks
12-17-2006, 08:49 PM
I do 100% of the shopping yes most of the time including myself. I do run things by him and get the "I don't know you decide". It's always just amazing to me that he has no desire. This year I made him buy my gift(s). I did have a list so it was pretty easy.

almostamom
12-17-2006, 08:58 PM
In the past I have done 100% of the shopping. This year I insisted that DH come shopping with me to help pick out gifts for his parents and DS. He absolutely hates shopping, but he went, it only took a few hours, and he's still alive ;) Oh, and he also went to the post office to mail them!! :)

Linda

Lovingliv
12-17-2006, 09:01 PM
I do it ALL......
For every occasion.
But, he would help it I didn't mind waiting until the 11th hour.

bubbaray
12-17-2006, 10:10 PM
I do for "my" people and he does for "his". I have refused to buy for his family (and friends) since day 1. We don't have a huge number of people to buy for, so that helps. For "joint" gifts, like DD's daycare, etc., we divide the list of names in half.

We got into it today, b/c DH said that we don't get many Christmas cards any more because "we" don't send them and that I should send some out today. Long story/argument short, I told him that if getting Christmas cards was that important to him, HE could send them out & hope we get some in return. I've given up on such things long ago. I'm too tired and even when not hugely pregnant, I have a way more time-consuming and stressful profession than him.

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: c/s 01/2007

C99
12-17-2006, 10:54 PM
I do it all. In fact, I do 99% of every other kind of shopping too.

Wife_and_mommy
12-18-2006, 12:01 AM
We both do. DH is really good at choosing gifts.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

http://b1.lilypie.com/QQKqm4.png
http://b3.lilypie.com/UnbPm4.png

kijip
12-18-2006, 12:18 AM
We both contribute to deciding *what* we are going to buy for each person. I then do the online stuff and he does 90% the in-store stuff. I freaking hate, and I mean hate, a day spent shopping. The lights, the choices, the parking, the driving. I can't think of a worse way to spend a day. I was at Best Buy for 25 minutes today to pick up a laptop for our secret santa sponsored family and when the tech kid said it would be 15 minutes to "optimize" the machine I had to go sit in the car and read a magazine and make a few calls while my husband waited for the computer to be ready. I was really ready to LEAVE the store. We both like picking things out so we make up the lists together. With the exception of the 2 families that we are sponsoring, a couple of little kids we know and my parents, we had no in store shopping to do. My friends and I don't exhange gifts among adults unless they were homemade or are edible (we do the secret santa thing together instead) and Toby, my niece and my nephews, my ILs and my Grandmother are all taken care of by mail order. Far away family members get mailed goodies like cookies. My husband and I don't really exchange gifts.

denna
12-18-2006, 02:00 AM
For DS, I do most if not all of the shopping, DH really has no clue. But for friends or other family members we talk about the gift (not sure if he really cares though)and then I usually get it. I do always show him the gift and ask his opinion, and like a pp said he does get all the techie stuff.

julieakc
12-18-2006, 02:45 AM
I do pretty much all the shopping. I consult with DH on what to get his dad (usually some sort of gift basket) after I've narrowed it down to a few options. I also consult with him about DS's "big" gifts. DH shops for his employees (he has 3 direct reports and a secretary), and generally whoever he gets in the name draw on his mom's side of the family, although I have been known to take care of that gift for him too. And DH shops for my gift. I do everything else....neices/nephews (total of 9....all on his side), my family, friends, the actual shopping for DS, etc. I don't even bother to tell DH what I get for others as he wouldn't remember anyway.

punkrockmama
12-18-2006, 05:41 AM
I do it all over here too. He's good at picking out gifts for me and the kids, but with friends, family and the rest, he just sucks at it. I think it's because he dosen't really pay attention to what others may like. But I always give him a heads up in the car beforehand so he can feign delight when the person's happy with their gift.

AngelaS
12-18-2006, 07:28 AM
Me.

o_mom
12-18-2006, 08:49 AM
I do all the shopping. I do make DH call his family and find out what the kids want. It usually takes much prodding and badgering to even get that out of him <sigh>. If I have a very specific item I may send him to the store with specific instructions or to get a gift card. Even that is not surefire, though, as we have two with Christmas birthdays and he got a Holiday gift card for the birthday!

KBecks
12-18-2006, 09:09 AM
I do all the shopping and I even helped dh with my present this year. He knew slippers are on my wish list and said thats what he would give then said he didnt know if he had time to shop, so i checked online for him to see if they would arriveand then leftv 2 windows open w/lands end and ll bean slipper categories open. The color and style will be the surprise.

nak

KBecks
12-18-2006, 09:17 AM
That sounds like my DH too -- the dreaded holiday shop is very low on his priority list.

alexsmommy
12-18-2006, 09:25 AM
90% me.
The 10% that is him is either shopping for me, or me telling him he has to handle a few of his family members - but I always make sure the kids on his side are done (Christmas/b-days) because otherwise his gifts will be late.
Alaina
Alex Feb '03