PDA

View Full Version : Has your DC ever broken out in hives after BF???? xpost

overcome
12-17-2006, 09:10 AM
I'm baffled. My DD is 14 1/2 months and the last three x I bf her she broke out in hives on her face! 2x yesterday and so far once today.

I have not changed soaps, detergents, etc. I was wearing a sweater with some wool yesterday, but she has been exposed to the breast cream that starts with an L that I can't spell or pronounce, which is lanolin.

She had a strawberry for the first time the day before the hives showed up. I would think that would have gotten a pretty immediate reaction and would not have occured again this morning!

She has been on amoxicillin for a week due to a mild ear infection but did not show any signs of an allergic reaction prior to yesterday.

I did eat some lobster bisque for two days in a row, but I have eaten shellfish before 2 days in a row.

I'm baffled. They go away after about 15 min and she shows no signs of discomfort at all. I took her to the ped and by the time we got there they were gone and the ped said it is really difficult to tell with allergic reactions.

Any insight?
TIA

overcome
12-17-2006, 09:10 AM
I'm baffled. My DD is 14 1/2 months and the last three x I bf her she broke out in hives on her face! 2x yesterday and so far once today.

I have not changed soaps, detergents, etc. I was wearing a sweater with some wool yesterday, but she has been exposed to the breast cream that starts with an L that I can't spell or pronounce, which is lanolin.

She had a strawberry for the first time the day before the hives showed up. I would think that would have gotten a pretty immediate reaction and would not have occured again this morning!

She has been on amoxicillin for a week due to a mild ear infection but did not show any signs of an allergic reaction prior to yesterday.

I did eat some lobster bisque for two days in a row, but I have eaten shellfish before 2 days in a row.

I'm baffled. They go away after about 15 min and she shows no signs of discomfort at all. I took her to the ped and by the time we got there they were gone and the ped said it is really difficult to tell with allergic reactions.

Any insight?
TIA

lizajane
12-17-2006, 09:14 AM
dylan broke out in violent hives one time and we never determined the cause. it could be something from a day or two ago. it could be something she has been exposed to before. it could be topical or ingested. there are just so many things...

i would consider the shellfish, since that is really all you can think of, because each time she has a reaction is has the posibility to get worse.

lizajane
12-17-2006, 09:14 AM
dylan broke out in violent hives one time and we never determined the cause. it could be something from a day or two ago. it could be something she has been exposed to before. it could be topical or ingested. there are just so many things...

i would consider the shellfish, since that is really all you can think of, because each time she has a reaction is has the posibility to get worse.

mimieliza
12-17-2006, 04:21 PM
Allergies can show up after repeated exposures, so it could be the strawberry, the amoxicillin or the lobster (all very allergenic). I don't know about the wool - I have wool issues, but I can use Lansinoh lanolin just fine. But wool seems to be a sensitivity more than an allergy.

KCR4
12-17-2006, 10:01 PM
based on my experience - i'd suspect the amox. my DS #1 was about that age when he had amox for the first time. he broke out in hives all over on day 10. they came and went for several days afterwards (over much of his body). we went to a pediatric allergist who said drug allergies can appear on ANY day of the course of treatment - or even the day after you stop! we haven't used amox since then, but other kinds of antibiotics - with no problem.

my DS #2 had some hives following a viral illness. i looked it up at the time - and hives are symptom of viral infection. they cleared up after a couple days and have never returned. neither DS has ever had any other allergies that we know of....

sounds like her reaction was fairly mild - but you might want to look up more info about hives - and drug allergy -

HTH
Karen

DrSally
12-18-2006, 11:19 AM
I don't know, but sometimes allergic reactions happen after you've eaten the food a few times (it takes some exposure to build up a reaction). DS broke out in hives from formula and had other symptoms, but then for the next week had smaller breakouts after the am breastfeeding (only), getting progressively milder and milder every day. We're pretty sure he was just still hyper sensitive and the histamines were still circulating in his system from the formula, not from something I ate.

This is the same answer we got from our first ped--difficult to tell, could be anything. But then we switched peds and saw an allergist and got much better info. If it keeps happening, you may want to consider asking for a referal to an allergist. They may want you to do an elimination diet and/or keep a food diary. HTH!

karolyp
12-18-2006, 12:14 PM
>based on my experience - i'd suspect the amox. my DS #1 was
>about that age when he had amox for the first time. he broke
>out in hives all over on day 10. they came and went for
>several days afterwards (over much of his body). we went to a
>pediatric allergist who said drug allergies can appear on ANY
>day of the course of treatment - or even the day after you
>stop! we haven't used amox since then, but other kinds of
>antibiotics - with no problem.

Yup - that's exactly what happened to DD a few months ago when she was on amox for an ear infection - even though she had been on it with no problems a few times beforhand.

My best advice is to take her to the ped asap!

SnuggleBuggles
12-18-2006, 12:17 PM
I replied on the feeding board that amox might be the problem. Just wanted to add that I didn't have any trouble with amoz until I was in my 20's and I had had antibiotics plenty of times before that in my life.

Beth