PDA

View Full Version : Techies, need some help with baby monitors & wireless networking

bubbaray
12-17-2006, 05:54 PM
I hope its OK to post here -- the baby monitor forum d/n seem to get much traffic.

We have a 2wire2700HG-E wireless router for our home network (one computer hardwired to this device, the other running wireless). Our phones/intercom is a Panasonic KX-TH5230 5.8GHz.

I need to get a new baby monitor. DD#1 d/n use a monitor anymore (and, really, we barely used it with her b/c our Fisher Price Sound & Lights was a complete piece of junk, unles we wanted to hear our crazy neighbors telephone conversations, LOL!).

I was thinking of the First Years 2.4GHz monitor (I think its called the Ultra Clear in the US), but on another site, one reviewer said it interfered with their wireless network.

I know little to nothing about routers and computer stuff, but on the box of the 2wire, it says it has an 802.11 b/g wireless access point.

Help!

ETA to fix typos. Sigh.

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: c/s 01/2007

shilo
12-18-2006, 04:04 AM
DH says in theory they all should be compatible since they're using 'spread spectrum', but in practice when you pull it out of the box, it doesn't always work that way since different manf. do things different ways and may create 'interference' between the devices. my take on all of his gibberish - they only way you're going to know for sure it set them all up and see what happens. keep your receipts.

sorry can't be more helpful. i think even with 'mr. techie' himself (DH) we still had some interference issues with his HAM radio or something. it's a fog now.

lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

bubbaray
12-20-2006, 10:35 AM
Thanks!

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: c/s 01/2007

dules
12-20-2006, 11:46 AM
This is what we did. We got a nice one, strongest available, at BBB and it cut off the wireless router every time we turned it on. Returned it and got a 19.99 900 mHz model and have had no problems.

Keep your receipt till you've thoroughly tried it out. :)

Mary

val01
12-20-2006, 09:47 PM
We have the Sony Baby Call. It was expensive ($49) at BRU, but it works and we have wireless internet with a router.

Valerie