PDA

View Full Version : Gift card option for kids?

fattytuna
12-17-2006, 08:39 PM
We need to get something for DH's cousin's 15-yr-old boy and 11-yr-old girl. It's getting harder each year trying to figure out what they would like. We used to see them more often when we lived only 30 miles apart, but five years ago they moved to a different state and we only see them twice or three times a year. We actually got them BestBuy GC's once so they can get whatever they like at the store. If you were to get gift cards for teenage kids, which stores/vendors would you get them from? The girl is a tomboy, so clothing/Hello Kitty stuff will not do, which is also why we used to get her similar stuff that we get her brother.

kelly ann
12-17-2006, 08:45 PM
How about Borders/Barnes and Noble for a gift card? Or maybe the Build a Bear store?

I know my tomboy niece like Justice for Girls (clothing), but I am not sure if it is too girly.

SnuggleBuggles
12-17-2006, 08:50 PM
Best Buy would be perfect, imo.

Other options would be clothes' stores like the Gap, Abercrombie and Fitch (or the kid store, abercrombie), American Eagle, Old Navy, and H&M, Hollister.

Barnes and Noble and Borders are good too.

How about a movie theater chain, like AMC?

Beth

lizajane
12-17-2006, 08:51 PM
target seems to be a good choice. my 8 year old and almost 14 year old friends LOVE target.

MayB
12-17-2006, 08:57 PM
Do they have ipods? My nephew and niece love itunes gift cards.

kayte
12-17-2006, 09:01 PM
I would say iTunes --you can even get a Product (RED) card and give to charity too...

They can use them without an ipod.

madelinesmom
12-17-2006, 09:01 PM
I buy for cousins ages 11 - 19. I have been getting them Blockbuster Gift cards for the past three years. The years I haven't seen them they take the cutest picture all holding their cards. This appears to be a big hit...

Jane
http://b4.lilypie.com/l3-em6/.png
http://b1.lilypie.com/-FG1m6/.png

Jenn98
12-17-2006, 10:16 PM
What aboout getting a GC to the local mall? That way they can pick and choose which store they want to shop at. I've just called and ordered them over the phone and had them mailed or had the mom pick it up from the Customer Service desk.

tarabenet
12-18-2006, 12:12 AM
My stepdaughters have always loved gift cards. When they were younger, it just made them feel grown up to have their own "money" to spend. Now it is just that they have very specific taste, and we don't "get it".

B&N if they are readers. Old Navy for clothes. Mall cards for "whatever". American Eagle was "in" for a while, but they've become bigger bargain hunters and now realize they can do a lot more at other stores. Amazon might also be really good.

ETA: Also, movie cards or restaurant cards if they like to go out with their friends and if that is OK with their parents. Movie cards were the top request this year, since they are both in college and going out is a big splurge.

kijip
12-18-2006, 12:20 AM
I would just send cash.

denna
12-18-2006, 01:52 AM
I think Best Buy is a great option or Itunes (if they have Ipods). Also I know that you can buy Visa Gift Cards, one through Washington Mutual for sure. This way they can spend it wherever they want.

Maybe sports stores too. Like Big 5 for Foot Locker.

Good Luck. Hope this helps!

squimp
12-18-2006, 02:16 AM
You know, I used to think this was a bad idea, you know impersonal, materialistic. But after hearing a consumer reports editor say that GCs are a rip-off (because of limitations and wastage), I totally agree - a crisp $20 (or whatever) is the same idea, but less likely to be a hassle.

o_mom
12-18-2006, 08:29 AM
I usually go with Target or Barnes and Noble. BN has music too, so if they are not big readers they can get a CD or something.

SnuggleBuggles
12-18-2006, 09:12 AM
Yeah, I have given in to cash for my niece and nephew on their birthdays over gift cards. Exception is amazon gift certificates as you send them online and they are less likely to get lost (especially if the person applies it to their account asap).

When I was young I remember waiting for that crisp $5, $10 or $20 from my grandparents and other extended family. I liked recieving that so I decided that my niece and nephew would probably like it too.

Beth

Momof3Labs
12-18-2006, 09:40 AM
DH's niece and nephew (16 and 19) asked for Chipotle gift cards for Christmas this year.