PDA

View Full Version : Transitioning from working full-time to working PT from Home

HIU8
12-18-2006, 08:15 AM
Has anyone done this? Have you had success?

DH and I are PG with DC #2. DS will be 2.5. He has always been in daycare or preschool. However, with 2 children, working full-time out of the the house is just not an option since it will take my entire paycheck to pay for both to be in daycare (two different daycares since DS is now in full day preschool and they don't accept children under 18 months). Now I am trying to figure out what I can do from home PT. I am going to approach my boss about downsizing my job to PT so I can do it from home, but I don't know how well that is going to go over. I have a feeling it is not going to be looked upon well. I looked at the work at home stuff online, but it's so hard to tell what is a scam and what is not.

anyone have any advice, gone through this etc...?

Thanks,
Heather

DS 11/27/04
DC #2 EDD 6/22/07

Momof3Labs
12-18-2006, 09:38 AM
I worked FT before DS1 was born, and have been working PT (mostly from home) since then, all for the same company. Honestly, working at home isn't my ideal (it's very isolating), and if my commute (about 1.25hrs each way) wasn't so long, I'd work part time in the office instead.

One thing, it is essential to have childcare while you are working at home. Not only does it allow you to get done what needs to be done, but it shows your employer that you won't just be goofing off at home instead of doing the work that they pay you to do. And honestly, part-time childcare is pretty darn hard to find (at least around here). We ended up getting an au pair, but my salary (even part-time) is high enough to justify the expense.

So, part-time work IMO is great for having more off-time to spend with your family. But you can't really use it to sidestep childcare expenses, unless you have family or a DH who can watch the kids while you work.

tny915
12-18-2006, 01:16 PM
I have an office job, a laptop for telecommuting, and a supportive boss that will allow me to work from home if I choose.

I choose to work at the office.

I've tried working from home a few times. I cannot make DD understand that although I'm home, I'm there to work and cannot play with her at all hours. She just doesn't get it. I've been able to get maybe 15 minutes here and there to work while she plays, but she keeps checking back with me to see what I'm doing and whether I can play. I've only been able to get quality work done during naptime or after bedtime.

I agree with the PP saying that you need childcare at home if you're going to be working. This is the only way that it would work for me as well.

Good luck! I hope you're able to find something that works for you, both for childcare and for work.

clc053103
12-18-2006, 01:21 PM
I stopped working FT when DS was born, and started working 3 days a week. However, I work from the office.

I agree with PP that working from home does not alleviate the need for child care- and out of the home is probably better.

The transition for me from FT to PT was really great for me- I still get adult conversation and feel "accomplished" when I spend a day at the office, however, I get that extra time as a "semi- SAHM" that means everything to me.

I now am looking for something to do out of my home as well- I also have the same question about what is a scam vs. legitimate business opportunity. Good Morning America has been doing a series on the subject, and had it on again today. Here's the link to the info on their website.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/TakeControlOfYourLife/story?id=2621388&page=1

If you find something you can do from home, and you like it, by all means please share it here! :-)