PDA

View Full Version : ?? about ovulating

TraciG
12-18-2006, 09:52 AM
ok so we decided to try to get pregnant since we FINALLY have medical insurance wooooohoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :) I do have an ovulation kit but haven't used it yet just trying to figure out when it happens , is it the 10 th day from when your period started ??

o_mom
12-18-2006, 10:03 AM
The typical is day 14 for a 28 day cycle, but there can be significant variation. If your cycles are regular, then count back 14 days before your period is due. So, if you have 30 day cycles, then day 16, 32 day cycles - day 18, etc.

Read the package to see when they say to start testing - usually 2-3 days before you expect ovulation if there are multiple tests in the kit. A basal body temperature chart is cheaper in the long run but more work (google that to find out more).

If you have no known issues, the standard advice is to have intercourse every other day starting on day 10 and continuing until after ovulation.

elizabethkott
12-18-2006, 10:26 AM
Def. go to fertilityfriend.com and sign up for charting your bbt (basal body temperature). The site is very helpful and FREE. It will tell you everything you need to know about taking your bbt and charting it... it's really great especially for those with irregular cycles.
I used it while trying to conceive this peanut! Guess it works, huh? :)
hth!

lisams
12-18-2006, 10:29 AM
Typically if you count back 14 days from the day your period started that's when you ovulated. I know that's not helpful when you want to know ahead of time, but if your cycles are pretty regular you can notice the pattern and probably be pretty close. Just keep in mind that you want to BD (baby dance!) before you ovulate so the little swimmers have a day or so to make it to the egg. The ovulation predictor kits will tell you when you are going to ovulate in the next day or two, so if you get a + with it you'll know it's time!

Good luck, have fun!

ETA I just saw the previous poster already explained this! Sorry for the repeat!

DebbieJ
12-18-2006, 10:57 AM
I would also suggest reading Taking Charge of Your Fertility. It's a great book that explains ALL of this and how you can chart your own fertility signs to time intercourse to get pregnant. No need for expenisve ovulation kits.

We used this method and ds was conceived the very first try.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

hillview
12-18-2006, 01:07 PM
Sign up for fertilityfriend.com as pp said. Also get the book mentioned above. Good luck!
/hillary

caleymama
12-18-2006, 01:10 PM
Definitely get this book! Good luck!

JTsMom
12-18-2006, 01:55 PM
I've done all 3 of the suggested things here- TCOYF, fertilityfriend.com and the opk, and I recommend all of the above. :) Easy answer- usually if you have frequent sex between days 10 and 20, you'll hit a fertile day. :) Good luck!

TraciG
12-18-2006, 07:35 PM
I don't know if I can handle sex between days 10 - 20 !!!!!! :)

ajmom
12-18-2006, 11:46 PM
Definitely get the book! It's an excellent resource.

The simplest (and cheapest) way to know when to time sex at max fertility is when you notice the stretchy egg-white-like cervical discharge. My OB has always recommended this to conceive and avoid pregnancy. By timing sex during this time (usually about 3 days of it) I've had no problems getting pg. And by avoiding sex during this time, I only have 3 children instead of 50!

Good luck!

xmasbabycomin
12-19-2006, 03:14 AM
Taking Charge is a great book.

Personally, I never had a clear pattern with the BBT charts. It may be b/c of my thyroid issues, but I found the ovulation tests more useful.

I would count back AT LEAST 14 days from when you EXPECT your period. It helps if they're regular. Remember, too, the directions on when to start testing that come w/ the kit are just a guideline. I followed them when TTC #1. The first month I used it I never got a positive and figured I just hadn't o'd that month. Well, a few weeks later those two blue lines confirmed I had dEFINTELY ovulated, KWIM?

denna
12-19-2006, 03:45 AM
Traci-

Just wanted to say good luck and have fun. No testing experience, I never even know (especially now w/ the IUD) when my period is/ should be I have always been irregular. I will definitley get a copy of this book for next time :D.

Good luck and sending ((BABY)) your way!

Lisa-

Just wanted to say Happy belated 1st Birthday to Ava!