PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know about hamstring tear recovery time?

infocrazy
12-18-2006, 03:02 PM
Old men shouldn't play hockey! DH tore his hamstring last night at hockey. Apparently, it is a micro-tear so no surgery just pain killers, maybe physical therapy. The doctor said a week until he could walk without much pain but DH, who rarely complains about pain, was in so much pain last night/this morning he couldn't even put on his own shoes!

Anyone have experience with this and how long did it take for recovery?

Thanks!

kimbe
12-18-2006, 04:01 PM
No advice, but I wanted to send well wishes to your husband. I cringed when I read you topic! I've only dealt with a pulled hamstring and that hurt like the dickens. I can't even imagine the pain that your DH is in! I hope that he gets better really soon and is out of pain even sooner! Big hugs to him for being in pain (and bigger hugs to you for taking care of him!)

megs4413
12-18-2006, 04:05 PM
i don't have any experience with a hamstring tear, but did tear an abdominal muscle once playing basketball...i think it took about a week for me to be comfortable enough for regular life with pain meds...i hope he heals quickly!

casey0729
12-18-2006, 04:10 PM
Don't want to scare you or your DH but my husband "popped" his at soccer one summer and it didn't feel right for over a year. My Dad is a runner and found when his bothered him that yoga stretches helped.

Tell him to stretch before and after he plays once he can play again. And stay off it if it hurts, it will only get worse!

KC

http://b2.lilypie.com/AWLtm5.png

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev197prs__.png

infocrazy
12-18-2006, 05:33 PM
Yep, he heard the pop when it happened. Of course, in typical DH fashion he is glad that they have two weeks off for hockey so he doesn't miss any games...!!! Crazy crazy man!

Hopefully he gets better quickly because I had to yell at him all morning to stay off his feet! Headed home to do the same I'm sure!

Thanks though.

jacksmomtobe
12-18-2006, 10:15 PM
I would highly recommend pt. I tore my hamstring and unfortunately the effects lingered for quite a while. My situation may be different since the dr said it healed into a knot but it flared up for a long time. PT gave me some relief. I hope your DH feels better soon!

On a side note I agree that old men should play hockey..my dh broke 4 ribs and punctured a lung playing hockey. He somehow went airborne and landed on his side on the ice. This was about 2 years ago. He talks about playing again but luckily now he travels so much for work he really can't commit to the league he was playing in.

Take Care!

AngelaS
12-19-2006, 07:08 AM
My sister tore hers a good 2 months ago and still can't run and is still in a fair amount of pain at times.