PDA

View Full Version : separation anxiety?

brownlesa
12-19-2006, 09:42 AM
Hi Everyone-

Just wondering if my DD is going through a period of seperation anxiety or this is the beginning of something else. She is 15 months old and started walking about 2 months ago, but recently has gotten pretty good at it. She is in daycare full time (in-home w/3 other kids).

Recently, she has started to freak out when I leave the room. We will be happily playing on the kitchen floor and I'll get up just to go to the sink or something and she will start hysterically crying. Sometimes, she's happily play w/ her daddy and see me walk by and start crying. As soon as I pick her up, she happy again. Its very hit or miss-sometimes she doesn't care if I'm around, sometimes she has to have me (and only me) hold her. She is fine at daycare-although I think she's a little clingy to them also.

Is this seperation anxiety? If so, what do I do? If not, what do I do? This is our first child and we are really clueless.

Thanks.
Leslie

mommy111
12-19-2006, 10:34 AM
Welcome to the next 1 year :) Certainly sounds like separation anxiety to me, it is a much harder time for you than for her, she'll probably calm down as soon as you leave but you will be stressed for the rest of the day.
Here is what helped for me:
I made leaving a one-step process, no looking back etc b/c that would drag out her misery
I found that vocalizing again and again that mommy is leaving for a bit but will be back in the evening as always really helped DD esp when she got a little bit older....when I was leaving, she would look at me, cry, but say 'bye 'bye back later
I am ashamed to say that some days I just couldn't take it and sneaked out. she would look later and find me gone, ask my mom, 'mommy work?' and not cry. although it stopped her from crying, i always felt guilty about it!

smzapalac
12-19-2006, 03:34 PM
This sounds like separation anxiety. My DD's started around the same time as your DD. My DD is almost 2 and her anxiety comes and goes in stages. I have spoken with the pediatrician about it and she said until 24 - 36 months, separation anxiety is a major factor in many kid's lives. She recommends that parents tell their child where you are going, how long you will be gone, and what you will do with your child when you get home. She also recommended not to dash out and not let your child know where you are going. Communication is important.

One thing that worked for us was giving our DD a little photo album with pics of me and my DH. She keeps that in her crib for when we leave her for nap and bedtime. Another thing to remember is that your DD is probably getting her teeth. This is REALLY painful and she is probably scared. You may want to cuddle with her and don't be too hard on her when she is clingy and complaining. And sometimes (in my case right now, all the time) your DD will want only mommy. Don't worry, 4 months from now she may want just daddy. Good luck!