PDA

View Full Version : OT: What is freedom.exe?

psophia17
12-19-2006, 02:53 PM
It's running on my PC, using a ton of memory, and I cannot figure out what it is. I searched, and it's in our security folder - we have anti-virus, anti-spyware, and a firewall through our ISP.

I did a google for it, and it seems to be some sort of spyware something, but why is it using so much memory?

BillK
12-19-2006, 03:18 PM
My searching indicates it's a security program to prevent pop-ups and protect passwords etc.

However - just because it's called freedom.exe does not mean that it's not malware, spyware or a virus that's disguised as a legitimate program.

If you have a security solution provided by your ISP and freedom.exe is not a part of that solution (I'd suggest you verify with your ISP that freedom.exe is not a part of the package they provide to you) - then I'd get rid of it. See if Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs will allow you to uninstall it.

If you have more than one security solution running on your computer (like 2 Antivirus programs - or 2 popup blockers etc) at the same time it can cause HORRIBLE system slowdowns.

psophia17
12-19-2006, 03:41 PM
We've only got the one security program - it was included with our DSL package, and we have it set up to update and scan for spyware, adware, and viruses daily.

Hmmm...I just checked out the FAQs from our ISP, and it looks legit. However, it seems as though the company that distributes the freedom thing has changed somehow - now it's run through something called radialpoint. What a PITA.

bubbaray
12-20-2006, 10:29 AM
I believe it is part of the Telus DSL and Telus Security package. You can PM me if you want....

HTH

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: c/s 01/2007