PDA

View Full Version : Help sorting through parenting books...

kayte
12-19-2006, 04:33 PM
The topic a few days ago about raising grateful children renewed my search for a parenting book to fill our needs. How do you find one just for you? My husband and I have some strong ideas on what we want from our DD but are not always sure how to get here. Is there a place that reviews parenting type books? Maybe by other parents. Or it just left to reading dust jackets? I am looking for a parenting book that offers advice on raising children who aware that they are citizens of the world, not just of the tiny world around them, in cultivating a love for learning, grateful and giving, etc... Neither my DH or I are religious so I would like one that stayed aware from religious undertones... How do I find such a book?

TIA

SnuggleBuggles
12-19-2006, 04:37 PM
One tool I have found helpful are the Amazon Listmania lists. I'll go to a book I know I like, in this case, "The Baby Book" by Dr. Sears. At the bottom of the page there will be links to lists that contain that book and other books that are similair. Following that trail I have stumbled onto many gems. That was my favorite way to find new birth and pregnancy books. (Amazon also has the "people who like this book also like these books" link which is handy). The best lists contain explanations on why the person put the book on their list.

You can then request some of the books from the library (usually available online) then you just have to go to the library and pick them up.

I think that you will have to take a bit from each book because no book is one size fits all.

HTH,
Beth