PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland accommodations?

tny915
12-19-2006, 05:48 PM
I'm planning a Disneyland trip and am up to my ears :) in info on hotels. Here's all my thoughts:

Disney hotels -- I like the fact that the Disney hotels are so close so we can easily go back to the room to relax. We're willing to splurge since it's been quite a while since we've had a vacation, but I'm trying to decide if the Disney hotel price difference is worth it to us. We'd have to go to sleep at the same time as DD, but I'm thinking that we might be so tired after the day's activities that it won't be a big deal going to sleep at 9pm. From my searches of old posts, I've seen that the Grand Californian is the way to go if I really want to splurge, and that Paradise Pier is the farthest of the hotels, so one I probably won't even consider.

Hotels closeby -- I have read that even the closeby hotels that are "within walking distance" are really more within walking distance of the parking lot, and that it's still quite a trek to the park. I'm concerned about having to wait for shuttles, but we'll be going in the next few months during the off season, so there may not be lines for shuttles. I do like that I'll be able to get a suite for less than the cost of a room at a Disney hotel. But since it's been so long since we've had a vacation, I don't want to miss the whole experience of staying in the resort.

It's times like these that I wish I could just come to a decision without doing my loads and loads of research. There's just way too much info out there and I'm having trouble sorting through it all. I have various Disney trip planning sites bookmarked and I've signed up for the mousesavers.com newsletter, though I missed the deadline for this month so I won't see a newsletter till next month.

Can you help by sharing your experiences? Also, is 2 days enough, or should we spring for a 3 day park pass?

dules
12-19-2006, 06:22 PM
We had 2 days in August and wished we'd had 3. Stayed in the GC and didn't regret a thing.

Definitely recommend character dining, but no more than one per day. You have to reserve in advance, I think 60 days is the max they allow but that might have changed.

My DD is also an 11/03 child and she loved it, although she was afraid of the dark rides (even the ones for kids, like Winnie the Pooh) and loved the fast ones, like the teacups.

Good luck planning and have fun!

Mary

P.S. We had a guidebook that gave lots of reviews of the attractions and rides as well as suggestions for keeping waiting times short, etc. Don't remember the name offhand but will ask DH.

Dcclerk
12-19-2006, 06:33 PM
I live in SoCal so have no sense regarding the accomodations specifically. I also always have this dilemna in that I really find staying in one room a hassle for our family, since the kids should be going to sleep so much earlier than we do. What does everyone else do to bide their time? Thus, I really, really prefer suites. That being said, I do think that the Grand Californian is a gorgeous hotel and you really can't beat the proximity. I haven't seen its pool area, but the pool area at the Disneyland Hotel would be worth a day in and of itself for my kids. They really are lovely hotels, and I do totally prefer the resort experience over the local hotel close by experience. In other words, I'm no help. :P

I think that the 2 v. 3 day pass all depends on your and your DD's stamina. I remember going to Disneyland when I was little (not more than 5), and getting there when it opened and not leaving until it closed. We were exhausted, but went on just about every ride with doubles of our favorites. That being said, my ideal Disney day now with my DD 1 1/2 and DS 3 1/2 is to just go from about 9 until 2 p.m. If we were staying there, we would probably go back to the hotel room for a nap, and then return in the late afternoon. With that kind of schedule, we would not be able to do both parks in just 2 days, though I suspect my kids wouldn't know what they missed and so wouldn't care that much. Good luck in your decision.

Tondi G
12-19-2006, 08:29 PM
I highly recommend the Disneyland hotel! If we stay near Disney we always try to book there! Expedia sometimes has great deals .... but we found when we payed rack rate we had a somewhat larger room! They also offer AAA discounts! They have a fantastic pool area!!!

I would go for a 3 day pass! You will want to visit both parks and lately with the 50th anniversary Disneyland has been pretty crowded and thus the lines are longer.... takes more time to see it all!

I highly recommend checking out www.mousesavers.com

We recently stayed at the Sheraton Park hotel when DH was there for a convention. It was nice but I realized that having Downtown Disney right there made things really convenient.... when My little guy went down for a nap one of us could take our loder one to downtown disney or to the pool! Also you have a alot more choice as far as food goes with all the restraunts right there! I have heard that the Sheraton Anaheim is very nice though (my neighbor just stayed there) and you can see the fireworks from their parking lot..... but I have to say the fireworks right now are worth seeing from the park so you get all the audio!!!!

If you want to look for something more of a walking distance then look for the "Main Gate" area hotels/inns!

We have annual passes so I am happy to answer any questions you might have.... feel free to email me or post here!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

jeminaal
12-19-2006, 10:51 PM
Here's a link to a bunch of reviews of hotels in the area by Disneyland fans:

http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/find.cgi?product-category=Disneyland%20Resort%20%2F%20Hotels

Mouseplanet.com and its sister message board Mousepad is also a nice resource for info about where to stay at the DLR.

We've stayed at all three Disney hotels and our favorite one is the Grand Californian, with the Disneyland Hotel a close second. The Paradise Pier Hotel was okay, but not worth the price we paid. You definitely pay a premium price to stay on-site, that's for sure.

Our favorite hotel when we stay up at the DLR is the Howard Johnson Anaheim Plaza Hotel. Nice grounds, big hotel rooms, nice pool, friendly staff and it doesn't break the bank. It's a 7-10 minute walk from the entrance, although there is a shuttle ($3/day for adults; kids free) that drops people off in front of the hotel if that's a preference (we never take it). This walk may seem long, but IMHO it's an easy walk. It's closer than walking to Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel. You can also see the fireworks at night from the hotel. Mousesavers.com lists it as a favorite and gives discounts to the Hojo. PM me if you're interested in specific room info.

While I personally haven't stayed there, another hotel to look at is "The Candy Cane Inn." I've heard nice things about this hotel. Same walking distance to the park as the Hojo, but on the opposite side of the street (Hojo is on the northeast side of the park, the CCI is on the southeast side). They have a complimentary shuttle and also a complimentary continental breakfast. We haven't stayed here because we prefer a suite with a separated bedroom, which the CCI doesn't have.

I think splurging on a three-day pass would be nice if you can. You can then spend one day at Disneyland, then one day at California Adventure, then spend the last day deciding which of the parks you want to visit again (and do rides you didn't do the first time). Having a little one will limit your ability to rush around and do the whole park in one day, so having that extra park day will help you and your family take more time to enjoy Disneyland and allow your little one to ride "It's a Small World" or "Winnie the Pooh" more than once...or twice, or in my children's case...three times, LOL!

Have a great time!

Jeanette
(formerly known as jeanmick, member since Feb 2003)

DD Born Christmas Eve
DS Born Valentine's Day

denna
12-20-2006, 02:10 AM
For Accomadations I would reccommend a million times over the Grand Californian, it is a great(!) hotel. It is beautiful, comfy, wonderful and friendly staff and you have a gate that you open w/ your hotel key that goes directly into California Adventure (my personal favorite park). I have stayed in the Paradise Pier hotel too and that was really nice and it is honestly not much farther than the GC if it is a big price difference and your looking to cut corners this wouldnt be a bad idea. It is right across the street (somewhat diagonal) from the GC and you are able to use the gate (for the GC) too w/ your room key. I have also stayed in the Disney Resort and I must say I wasnt very pleased w/ this one.

As far as the park pass I think I would splurge for the 3 day pass. The best part of the park hopper passes is that you are able to use the Fast Track (not sure if thats what their called) machines to pretty much never wait in line.

If this is your first Disney experience dont miss the Soaring Over California ride :).

Believe it or not I am not a huge Disney fan I have just lived in Cali my whole life and have been to the parks a ton :D.

Good luck w/ your trip and I hope you have fun. Build a Bear workshop in Downtown Disney is great too :D

kransden
12-22-2006, 08:39 AM
I just got back from DL. We stayed at the Disneyland Hotel (DHL). It was a nice room and a good pool, but the pool wasn't that close. The Grand CA drops you right into the park. That said, the DLH and Paradise Pier (PP)are just a 10-12 minute walk to the park. BTW PP has a fun Lilo and Stitch character breakfast that was pretty tasty compared to the other offerings at the park.

We stayed 3 days but the park wasn't full, and we got there as soon as it opened. So we rode tons of rides. *** teacups 5 TIMES *** bleech *** What I would do next time is do two full days and the 3rd day go to the character breakfast and then hit the road. If you stay at a property you can pre-check in that that day and get in the park early even if you don't have a room yet. You also can get your tickets at the desk so you don't have to wait in line at the park. Hope you have fun!

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

writermama
12-22-2006, 01:18 PM
There's a big problem with staying at the GC: once you stay there, you may never want to stay anywhere else. ;)

On our most recent trip, we stayed one night at the Disneyland Hotel (very small room, but YMMV - ours was next to an exit stairwell so I think that's why it was extra small), 2 nights at the GC, and then several nights at the Candy Cane Inn.

If we hadn't stayed at the GC first, I would have loved the Candy Cane. It's very nice, even compared to the DL (though the grounds aren't nearly as interesting). The walk is about the same as to the DL or PP -- it's a nice path, too. It was too cold when we were there, so the fewer frills at the Candy Cane pool weren't a problem for us.

So, aside from our mistake of staying at the GC first, I'd recommend the Candy Cane Inn as very nice for the price, the DL as nice if you get a larger room than ours, and the GC as absolutely gorgeous.

Melanie
12-28-2006, 02:08 AM
We stayed at Paradise Pier once, and I would not recommend it at all. The walk is *quite* far and the offered NO shuttle service. If you stay off site those hotels offer shuttle service. For the price I'd stay somewhere else. The Grand California is quite spectacular and if you can swing it, stay there! The Mouseplant-ers (see a PP) seem to really recommend the Howard Johnson. I'm sure if you call around to some of the local 'better' hotels you will find some with shuttle.

I say if you can afford it, do the Californian. If you can't, stay off site.

Have a great trip!

missliss55
12-28-2006, 05:16 PM
We are thinking of doing a quick Disneyland trip on the way to see my parents in San Diego in Feb. or March and we would love to stay in a suite. Can anyone recommend a place with suites.

Thanks so much!

Tondi G
12-28-2006, 06:30 PM
A friend of ours stayed the the Portofine suites and said it was decent. not close walking distance from the parks though!

The Howard Johnson might have suites too.... not positive though!

Looks like this New Doubletree hotel seems to get good reviews

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g29092-d601379-Reviews-Doubletree_Guest_Suites_Anaheim_Resort_Convention_ Center-Anaheim_California.html

a friend stayed at this best western in a mini suite and had a good time. it's right across the street from D-land on the main gate side!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g29092-d239350-Reviews-Best_Western_Park_Place_Inn_Mini_Suites-Anaheim_California.html

HTH;s you

~Tondi

missliss55
12-28-2006, 07:07 PM
Thanks SO much. That is really helpful. It has been years since I have been to D-Land and I am looking forward to taking the girls. Thanks again!