PDA

View Full Version : Gift for mom of 2mo

jgriffin
12-19-2006, 10:08 PM
DH just called asking for my expert advice. His colleague's sister had a baby a couple of months ago, and he (the colleague) wants to get her something nice for Christmas. So DH wanted to know what things I got when I was a new mother that I particularly appreciated, or wish I had gotten.

The problem, of course, is that I can barely remember any events from when E was 2mo, let alone items that might have been nice or useful. And a lot of stuff I already had, like a Boppy. Food was always appreciated (heck, still is!), but I don't know if that's a possibility for this guy. I told DH I would ask online. So here I am, asking for your advice.

As a breast-feeding mom of a 2mo, what would you want?

TIA!

Jen

jgiovagn
12-19-2006, 10:14 PM
Know what I loved the most? One of my Mom's freinds got something sweet for DD AND something for me. Can't rememeber what DD got, but I remember that I got one of those bath pampering type kits and I though "OMG - someone actually thought of me!" I almost burst into tears. When your DC is that age, and you're breastfeeding to boot, life can be pretty overwhelming. I was so touched!

That said, I don't know if the collegue wants to go that route for his sister - depends on the relationship they have?

Jean

Wife_and_mommy
12-19-2006, 10:16 PM
I'd keep it simple for him and do gc's to a restaurant. I'm always grateful to not have to fix a meal.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

I love them most when they are sleeping.--Me
http://b3.lilypie.com/UnbPm4.png
http://b1.lilypie.com/QQKqm4.png

sarahsthreads
12-19-2006, 10:39 PM
Oh, a sling! I wish somebody had gotten me one of these when DD was tiny - I didn't get one for myself until she was 10 months old!

Let's see. DD was 2 months old right around Christmas time. My SIL got me a set of lotions/loofahs/etc. While I appreciated the thought, they were very heavily scented, which I was *so* sensitive to after being pregnant I couldn't really use them. Maybe some really nice lotions (my hands were so dry from washing them umpteen million times a day) that are fragrance free? Or even better, a gift certificate for a mani/pedi? (I would kissed either of my brothers, and possibly baked them their favorite cookies, if they'd thought of that!)

Sarah :)

elephantmeg
12-19-2006, 10:39 PM
hmm...
a gc to a restaurant or better yet to a salon and someone to babysit. Highlights or a pedicure would have felt like heaven at 2 months p.p.
chocolate
something like mommy tags? But I totally would go the salon gc route :)

C99
12-19-2006, 11:08 PM
Lush Cosmetics bath products! About 2 months after DD was born, a friend sent me a box of Lush bath bombs and bubble bars - it was heaven! I remeber only eating when I ate out at 2 months post-partum, too, so definitely food gifts - Zingerman's or GCs to restaurants.

SnuggleBuggles
12-19-2006, 11:35 PM
-Maid service (one time clean could fit the budget)
-"Girls' Night In" or "Girls' Night Out"- 2 books filled with short "chick lit" stories that are perfect for when mom only has a little bit of time to read.
-The book "Baby Play" by Gymboree...so she has some ideas of what to do with baby now that baby has gotten older and is awake more.
-Gift cards to Target or maybe your favorite local or online store so she can fill what gaps she has.

-Company! I remember feeling very isolated and would have loved a visit from someone! I got out a lot but when we were home for naps and such I missed company. And, especially if you bf you could offer a lot of support and guideance (be sure and pass on the kellymom.com link).

Beth

randomkid
12-20-2006, 12:04 AM
-Maid service
-gift card to one of those places where you prepare meals and freeze them. For a little extra, they will do it for you and deliver.
-what I would have given for uninterrupted sleep anytime of the day or night when DD was 2 months old - hire a sitter or arrange for a family member to care for her DC for a few hours so she can get some much needed rest.

denna
12-20-2006, 01:58 AM
So many great tips already. I like the idea of a maid service, a sling, resteraunt gift cards, salon gift cards, or Mommy Tags.

Like all the pp's have said it depends on the route he wants to go and his sister. Maybe a GC for babies 'r' us too for a nice breast pump (don't think the brother will want to pick this up himself).

punkrockmama
12-20-2006, 06:10 AM
Everybody's touched on all the right things. Right now, the last thing I want (or have time) to do a lot is make dinner. So, gift cards to restaurants or any other kind of food gift would be awesome. I'm always going to Target for something so a gift card there too. It's nice to have something that's just for you and has nothing to do with the kids, so maybe a massage or something.

jgriffin
12-20-2006, 08:58 AM
Everyone's got some terrific suggestions, but what are mommy tags?

mommy111
12-20-2006, 10:54 AM
Totally second (fourth!) the idea of a maid service or meals that can be home-delivered.

bubbaray
12-20-2006, 11:21 AM
A 1L Nalgene bottle -- it really helped me drink enough water. You could go with a metal one too (Sigg & another co make them).

FOOD!!!!! I would say homecooked stuff, we didn't go out much when DD was that age and definitely wouldn't be during flu season.

A pedicure and an offer to stay with the baby while I had the pedicure.

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: c/s 01/2007