PDA

View Full Version : Advice: What to do if traveling aboard for 4 months??

matthewsmom
12-19-2006, 10:50 PM
I am posting a question for a friend of mine. Her husband has been offered a great opportunity to go aboard to New Zealand for 4 months for work. They have a 6 month old DD and she's really thinking that this will be a great opportunity for them to do. But they have several concerns.

1. They have 2 dogs that would need to be taken care of during that time. Their family can't do it and they aren't sure about leaving them at the kennel. If anyone has done this, what would you suggest?

2. By being away for 4 months, they are also concerned about the house. What have others done or if you have any suggestions, please feel free to comment.

They both would love to do this and feel like it's an opportunity of a life time. Thanks in advance.

Fairy
12-19-2006, 10:53 PM
I'd get a house-sitter to live in my home full time and leave the dogs in their care. Of course, this can't be just anyone, it needs to either be someone they know and trust *implicitly* well, as it's not just the house and belongings, it's the lives of their pets; or it if it's a stranger, they need to research the hell out of it and have a formally signed contract to cover all bases.

matthewsmom
12-19-2006, 11:00 PM
They have thought about using a house sitter but they don't know anyone at all that would be able to do it. I think they are nervous about using just anyone. Is there a service that does this and would do background checks?

Tondi G
12-19-2006, 11:03 PM
I know there are pet sitting services around me that do housesitting/pet sitting. It probably won't be cheap though! They don't have any family that might be able to??? I would suggest they ask their family and friends if they have any recommendations or someone they know ... maybe their vet?!

~Tondi

shilo
12-19-2006, 11:09 PM
i was going to suggest the same thing... might their vet have a vet tech or office staff member who might be willing? same goes for college aged student of a co-worker? church member/college aged child of a church member? just ideas.

lori

Momof3Labs
12-20-2006, 11:21 AM
They may be able to find a local rescue group who has an open foster home that could take the dogs in exchange for a generous donation to the rescue group!

For the house, they have to know *someone* who can check on the house. A neighbor (retired folks are perfect for this), a fellow church member, a co-worker?