PDA

View Full Version : Odd or normal sleeping?

sidmand
12-20-2006, 09:56 AM
DS has always been a great nighttime sleep and I'm very thankful for that! Naps have been on and off, but he just started doing something that seems very peculiar to me and I thought I'd check with some of the more experience mamas here...

So, DS sleeps about 12 hours at night. Last night he went to bed around 8:00 p.m. and woke up at 8:30 this morning. For the past couple of weeks, at least half the time, he wakes up, has a cup of milk, gets dressed, and then goes back into his crib for about an hour (so he's there now at about 9:45 a.m.)! I don't even think he sleeps any of that time, but he just chills out there with his thumb, lying down, swinging his puppies (stuffed animals, not real!) around.

Before that he had started moving his nap later (he only ever had one), so it was about 1:00 p.m. And that's still about the same time and lasts for 1-3 hours depending on the day. Usually closer to 1 hour.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but he did get tubes in his ears about two weeks or so ago. He's also started shrieking again, which, thankfully he had stopped awhile ago and we're trying to work on that too! But this morning he was actually rubbing his eyes. Usually he just seems a bit cranky/off and I see if he wants to go back to bed. Usually saying, "Do you want your puppies?" If he's tired will elicit a thumb, so I know! Or we go into his room and he sticks his thumb in his mouth (he only sucks his thumb when he's tired, so it's a good clue!).

What's up with this? I don't mind it, although it's making it a bit difficult to go to any of our activities at 10:00! We've missed quite a few over the past couple of weeks, but I don't know if this is just a quick stage or something longer? He just slept 12 hours! How can he need to lie down again? I guess adults are wired differently, huh?

Debbie
http://b2.lilypie.com/BI7Tm5.png

SnuggleBuggles
12-20-2006, 10:08 AM
It sounds like he just needs that downtime. I would, personally, roll with it. All sleep things are just phases. This sounds like a nice one and it sounds like something he needs.

Ds was always a late sleeper (we are night owls) so we had troubles with 10 am playdates too but I would rather be late for things than sacrifice ds' sleep/ rest.

They need 12-14 hours of sleep at that age, don't they?

Beth

sidmand
12-20-2006, 10:15 AM
Oh, I definitley am rolling with it, but I'm not sure whether to cancel/change our standing dates for the next few months. I really (over)booked us with Gymboree, playdates, Park and Rec stuff...and it all starts between 9:00 and 10:00! We actually have less than we did before because there was no downtime at all (but DS is VERY active and I was doing that on purpose too). I thought it was just a fluke and scheduled some makeup classes which we missed too! So I'm just wondering if there's a pattern.

He's already getting lots of sleep between the naps and bedtime (around 14 hours/day anyway), and like I said, I don't even think he's sleeping any of these mornings. Just kind of chillin'.

I don't mind, just trying to figure out how to plan! Although "they" say that as soon as you've figured out your kiddos, they go and change on you.

Debbie
http://b2.lilypie.com/BI7Tm5.png