PDA

View Full Version : Care Package/Gift for my friend that just moved overseas

cchavez
12-20-2006, 10:43 AM
My very good friend and her family just moved back to Germany after being in the states for several years. She is miserable!!!! She has only been able to email me twice, they are still in temporary housing, things are just really rough right now.

I would love to send her and her two boys a care package. Here is a little info on them. He older son (3.5) loves Thomas. Her younger son just turned one in November and my dear friend is a breast cancer survivor and LOVES chocolate. I could tailor to package to their interest or I was thinking of sending a Valentines Care package w/ candy, fun crafts and V-tine shirts for the boy....

Any suggestions, any great business to use that do international shipping? Otherwise, I will buy the stuff myself and ship it to her. Thanks!!!

hudsonam
12-20-2006, 11:37 AM
Where is she from? Any local treats that she'll miss while she's gone? For instance, I'm in the Philly area, and you can't really get Tastey Cakes (sp?) outside of this area.

FYI, there is a ton of Thomas stuff at TJ Maxx and Marshall's. :)

JoyNChrist
12-20-2006, 12:29 PM
I agree with any local treats that she may not be able to get otherwise. Like, for me, being used to Cajun cooking, I know I'd really miss Tony Cachere's seasoning and Tabasco sauce...but then, I actually carted bottles of each to NYC on a trip a few years ago, lol.

Also - is she by any chance a Dr. Pepper drinker? I was amazed that I've never been able to find Dr. Pepper in a foreign country (Mexico, Honduras, Belize, Panama, Switzerland, Germany, or France). It's always just Coke - and I hate Coke!

I think what you're doing is really nice, and anything you send will definitely be appreciated. As someone who's spent a lot of time overseas, the little stuff that reminds you of home really makes a big difference.

Jen841
12-20-2006, 01:26 PM
My friend shipped sugar cereal to her friends there (Frootloops etc.) It was a requested hit and she does it annually. Lightweight for packing!

cchavez
12-20-2006, 01:27 PM
She actually is from Germany but hasn't lived there for many, many years.

MamaMolly
12-20-2006, 01:44 PM
The stuff I asked for when living overseas was pathetically simple. I wanted Charmin, Charmin and Charmin. But then I was in north Africa, so she probably won't have the same sand-paper-t.p .issues.

My last Netcroger shipment had things like Utz chips, cheetoes, oreos, sugary cereal, canned eggnog (in June, but hey, I was 6 months along!!!!)..I also couldn't find grape jelly. Every other kind, but no grape. Weird.

Your Valentine care package is a great idea. It is sooo much fun to open those up and see old familiars...things like Peeps for Easter, taco shells and margarita mix for Cinco de Mayo, etc. etc. etc. My sister was really creative in this area.

MMmmm, and yes, I taught several foreign friends all about the fun one can have with Peeps in the microwave. Ahhh, the good ole' days. :-)

One of my friends had all her socks get accidentially put into storage instead of shipped, so her friends got together and shipped her funky socks, anonymously, once a month. She ended up with a really cute collection.

Have a lot of fun doing this! You are a great friend!
Molly

youngmommy
12-20-2006, 03:21 PM
I would buy the stuf yourself and ship it. I think it will be hugely expensive otherwise. My other shipping tip is to go with sending it through the post office with pleanty of time to spare. I tried sending something international to ILs with FedEx and they wanted to charge me a rediculous amount. I didn't need it there with any amount of speed, so I went over to the post office and it was probably less than half of what FedEx was going to charge me. (I do think FedEx is cheaper with shipping larger items in the US.)

american_mama
12-20-2006, 03:37 PM
Here are things that are hard to find in Europe, just for ideas:

American measuring cups and spoons
brownie mixes
American cookbook
canned pumpkin
sweet potatoes
marshmallows
hot cocoa mix
baking soda
vanilla extract
maple syrup at a decent price
American-style peanut butter
Kraft-style box of macaroni and cheese

cchavez
12-20-2006, 04:04 PM
My friend loves Ghiradelli Brownies so I will send her a big box from Costco plus some cute Valentine stuff for the boys.....

bubbaray
12-20-2006, 04:29 PM
My ILs spend half the year in Germany and while I don't send care packages, I know that step-MIL does pack spices for baking to take with her. I think she also took imperial measures. I recall her taking either baking powder or baking soda, can't remember which.

Honestly, I wouldn't send chocolate -- the ILs send us chocolate! :)

HTH

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: c/s 01/2007