PDA

View Full Version : Newspaper article

Ceepa
12-20-2006, 11:58 AM
Grandmother Puts Infant in Airport X-Ray
AP
LOS ANGELES (Dec. 20) - A woman mistakenly put her 1-month-old grandson through an X-ray machine at Los Angeles International Airport, authorities said.

A startled security worker noticed the shape of a child on the carry-on baggage screening monitor and immediately pulled him out, the Los Angeles Times reported for a story in Wednesday's editions.

The infant was taken to a local hospital, where doctors determined he did not receive a dangerous dose of radiation.

"This was an innocent mistake by an obviously inexperienced traveler," said Paul Haney, deputy executive director of airports and security for the city's airport agency.

The incident happened early Saturday, airport officials said.

Haney said in 1988, an infant in a car seat went through an X-ray machine at the Los Angeles airport.

candybomiller
12-20-2006, 12:01 PM
Where's the jaw dropping smilie when you need it?

pb&j
12-20-2006, 12:01 PM
The TSA agents at the checkpoint should never have allowed that to happen. They are supposed to monitor everything that goes in to the Xray machine before it goes in.

-Ry,
mom to Emma, stillborn 11/04/04
and Max, 01/05/06

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/35775.gif
http://b1.lilypie.com/aKGqm5/.png[/img] ([img)

punkrockmama
12-20-2006, 12:10 PM
How in the hell do you "acidentally" or "mistakenly" do something like that? Even if you've never flown before you should probably know not to put a kid thru there.

How old's the granny? Seriously, perhaps she has reached the age when she should no longer be allowed to care for small children by herself.

punkrockmama
12-20-2006, 12:11 PM
>The TSA agents at the checkpoint should never have allowed
>that to happen. They are supposed to monitor everything that
>goes in to the Xray machine before it goes in.
>

And yeah, that too!

deborah_r
12-20-2006, 12:23 PM
This may be the most controversial thing I've said here in a while, or maybe it's no biggie. Disclaimor: I DO use an infant carrier car seat with a handle (when I have an infant!) But I'm kind of seeing this as a result of those carseats (and generous amounts of stupidity added in for good measure). The way I see some people carry those things, I sometimes don't realize at first that they have a baby in there (when I just catch a glimpse, it looks like some sort of luggage). I think those thinks allow you to haul baby around like luggage and I think *sometimes* *some people* seem to treat them that way.

I really can see someone hefting that thing around and just absentmindedly popping it up on the belt with the rest of their stuff.

But who knows? Maybe she wasn't in one and I am rambling for nothing. Now if she was holding baby in a blanket and stuck him up there, there's definitely some mental problmems going on there!

megs4413
12-20-2006, 02:34 PM
the infant carrier thing was the first thing that came to my mind...maybe she thought it needed to be scanned, but can you take those infant carriers in with you? i haven't flown since i've been a mommy so i dont' know...

sometimes i think the same thing when i see people carting around their newborn in a carrier, like "hey man you should hold that upright, there's a kid in there..." i really hate it when they bang it around with the kid's little head flopping back and forth as they're walking. i know some floppiness is gonna happen, but sometimes i think people forget to "handle with care". not meant to be a dig at carriers or at people who use them (cause i'm one of those people!) but just that the carrier makes it easier to forget you're carrying a BABY and not just a sack of potatoes...

so i guess i'm adding to your controversy here, but ITA!

bubbaray
12-20-2006, 02:58 PM
It made the local paper here this morning (Canada). Apparently, the GM was non-English speaking. Apparently, she kicked up a fuss when the airport officials demanded that the baby go to a hospital. They later were allowed to board a plane to Mexico City.

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: c/s 01/2007

deborah_r
12-20-2006, 03:28 PM
Yes, you explained better what I am trying to say. I have been away from the computer and thinking in my head how to word what I was trying to say and try not to bring so much judgment into it. The way I feel about those carriers is that maybe they are TOO convenient. Those carriers provide a great convenience in certain situations (baby sleeping in car, can move without waking - love that) but unfortunately I think it leaves way too much room for people to abuse the convenience. I think it is a flaw of the product it just opens the door to some problems.

KBecks
12-20-2006, 06:25 PM
I'm glad it sounds like the baby will be OK. I do bet it was an infant carseat carrier, and it's possible that the workers thought it was empty when it was going through, especially if there were blankets over the top.