PDA

View Full Version : Where to stay in the Los Angeles area ...

ciaobella
12-20-2006, 05:10 PM
and not spend a fortune?

We will be in the LA area at the end of April and want to see the typical tourist spots and spend some time on the beach. Any thoughts on good hotels or an area of town? Redondo or Santa Monica? My dad lived there when I was growing up and I recall all of the little towns being close together.

We live in a large spread out city so we are used to having to drive to get places and we will be renting a car so I don't feel like we need to be right in the middle of things, necessarily.

There will be 3 adults and 2 children (ages 2.5 and 2 mos). We prefer 1 room, preferably a suite type of set up.

Thanks for your ideas!

DebbieJ
12-20-2006, 07:59 PM
Where will you be spending most of your time? What tourist spots exactly do you want to see? Will you be going to Disneyland or Knotts Berry Farm?

The LA area is also huge and spread out, so you have a lot of options based on where you will be. Driving in LA, although tolerable IMHO (Chicago traffic is worse!), can be nuts if you're not used to it.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

BillK
12-20-2006, 08:04 PM
We stayed at the Residence Inn in Manhattan Beach area when we were there and it seemed pretty handy to lots of "touristy" things. It's right along the Pacific Coast highway and either direction will take you to the tourist stuff.

ciaobella
12-20-2006, 08:24 PM
We are going to be spending the first half of our trip in San Diego so we will hit Disney on the way to LA and we will have had a chance to spend some time on the PCH.

By touristy, I mean hitting Rodeo Drive, my DH wants to got the Peterson Automotive Museum, the tar pits, Hollywood stuff, the beaches, etc.

DebbieJ
12-20-2006, 08:54 PM
Wow, so you'll be all over the place. Sounds like fun. :) I love the Tar Pits. It's just so interesting to have that place smack dab in the middle of the city.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

Tondi G
12-20-2006, 10:55 PM
Do you want a Larger hotel or a smaller Inn type place??? I live very close to the Tar Pits/Peterson/Grove!

My BIL always stays at a smaller hotel called the Elan... it is a couple of blocks from the Beverly Center mall! I've heard the Orlando is nice as well but it can be a bit expensive I think!

There is also a smaller place (not particularly fancy but a place to rest your head) called the Wilshire Crest Hotel. It would probably be reasonable enough for a couple of rooms vs. a suite!

Also there is the Farmers Daughter which is directly across from the Grove/Farmers Market! This one used to be a motel but it has been completely renovated and supposedly is fairly nice! Of course they have upped the price since it is so conveniently located across from the Grove (dining and shopping is right there!). The grove/farmers market is right up Fairfax Ave. from the Peterson and the tar pits!

www.thegrovela.com

If you go to The Grove website they have a concierge section that has some hotel info under Tourist Information and list some area hotels!

If you want something more fancy the Renissance Hotel in Hollywood is new and very nice... right up from Hollywood and Highland so you would have hollywood Blvd right there and shops/dining etc.!

Hope this helps you.... if you need any more info on stuff in our neighborhood gimme a shout!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

kransden
12-22-2006, 08:14 AM
That's is where we like to stay too! I like Residence Inns because of living room area and the free breakfast. There is also a great little restaurant in the area that serves the best blueberry pancakes.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02