PDA

View Full Version : where can i donate used toys?

megs4413
12-20-2006, 05:26 PM
i need to make room for xmas toys for DD and i have identified and cleared out a bunch of old toys that she's done playing with and can move on...they're not in good enough condition to really sell (at least IMO) so i just want to donate them...they have a ton of playtime left in them and i wouldn't donate anything broken/crappy, but even if i could sell them it wouldn't be for much money so it's just not worth my while. does anyone know where i can donate used toys? they've been lovingly played with for sure...like there's some crayon on the fisher price washer/dryer for instance...it doesn't interfere with playing with the toy, but cosmetically not so good...everywhere i've seen that's asking for toy donations is looking for new, unopened toys...so what do i do with all of these? i hate to put them in the trash, but we just don't have the room to keep stockpiling toys!

candybomiller
12-20-2006, 05:31 PM
Do you have a Salvation Army or a Goodwill?

JustMe
12-20-2006, 05:34 PM
Check to see if there is a shelter around, domestic violence or other. They are alwasy looking for usable toys. Also, look in your local yellow pages under social services. Call any of the numbers that sounds like they work with kids and families. If they are not taking the toys, they will know who will. You can also see if you have a local united way number. They usually know who accepts/is looking for toys...and finally, there is always Goodwill and places like that, but they are more likely to be resold then just given.

Robyn
single mommy to an almost 4 yr old from Guatemala

boogiemom
12-20-2006, 05:58 PM
I am clearing out toys because we are moving. My dad, who is in Afghanistan, asked me to send toys that he can give to local kids. I checked with USPS and they have flat-rate boxes that can be sent for $8.10. The boxes are pretty small but you can jam quite a bit in there. Let me know if you want an address that you can send some things to.

elizabethkott
12-20-2006, 06:11 PM
What about your pediatrician's office?

SpaceGal
12-20-2006, 08:47 PM
How about your city's children's hospital?

mygirl505
12-20-2006, 08:57 PM
You could try a Pregnancy Crisis Center or a Woman's shelter.

scoop22
12-20-2006, 09:00 PM
day care center? churches?
http://b2.lilypie.com/XbITm4.png

1ceng1
12-20-2006, 09:01 PM
My DDs preschool accepts age-approprate toys, so if your DD goes to preschool , you could check there.

cmdunn1972
12-21-2006, 07:53 AM
There's a crisis pregnancy center in your area that is a group home that helps pregnant mothers learn to care for their new child. It's non-profit, so your donation should yeild a tax deduction. Maybe you could call them to see if they could use donated children's toys?:

http://ourladysinn.org

HTH!

mattiew
12-21-2006, 03:29 PM
>I am clearing out toys because we are moving. My dad, who is
>in Afghanistan, asked me to send toys that he can give to
>local kids. I checked with USPS and they have flat-rate boxes
>that can be sent for $8.10. The boxes are pretty small but
>you can jam quite a bit in there. Let me know if you want an
>address that you can send some things to.

I'm not the OP but - are there certain types of things he is looking for? I'm sure not anything war related, etc but if you had some suggestions it would help me sort! By the way - great dad you have!!!!!!!!!

kijip
12-22-2006, 02:21 AM
I would look for a preschool, a church nursery or a DV shelter. Or to a Goodwill/Salvation Army thrift store.

The reason charities are asking for new and unwrapped this time of year is mainly because they are by and large for Christmas presents. If they take wrapped gifts they run the risk of giving a child a wrapped up piece of junk and ruining their holiday. Imagine opening a 100 piece puzzle missing 37 pieces, ack. Triple that feeling if your sibling got a sane donor and a really nice toy. Frankly, I think the requirement is mainly because you would not believe the things people will try and donate to a charity that takes used items. The cost of accepting the items exceeds the benefit after trash/dump expenses. I take used items at work (not for presents, but for yearround give aways) but I have to be hyper viligant about examining itmes before people get their tax slip. It is such a PITA. We also take wrapped but only because our sponsors are personally involved.

But there are places that do take used items so never fear, you should be able to find a home for them. Good luck.

WooChx
12-22-2006, 11:12 AM
I'm fairly certain the flat rate boxes are only for using within the Continental United States. I use them a lot for eBay, the one time I had to ship to Europe, I needed a different box. www.usps.com has more information.

megs4413
12-22-2006, 11:17 AM
i knew why the rule was the way it was for Toys for Tots and stuff...makes perfect sense. I just feel bad throwing these perfectly well "loved" toys away...

aliceinwonderland
12-22-2006, 11:22 AM
We donated our "nicer", bigger ones to DS's co-op, after asking the director in advance (did not want to dump them there). As it is, DS plays with them there occasionally even though he didn't at home.

I am getting ready to reduce the number of toys significantly and there's also a charity thrift store which we'll use.

Lynnie
12-22-2006, 11:29 AM
you could also try freecycle.