PDA

View Full Version : What to do/send?

momma_boo
12-21-2006, 10:49 AM
A member of our family (not immediate) was diagnosed with lung cancer a few months ago. He had surgery followed by radiation and chemo. The last update we heard last month was that after some tests, they determined the cancer was gone. Well, he recently had a build up of fluid at the surgical site and after they tested that, they found more live cancer cells. So now it doesn't look good at all.

It's a member of DH's family, so I haven't really "taken the lead" about doing anything. DH did speak to him a few months ago on a Jewish holiday, but we haven't sent anything or visited.

What do we do/send to him?
I guess at the least we can send him a card letting him know we are thinking of him. But I just feel like we need to do more.
His kids are older (youngest is 18), so they don't need help with childcare or anything like that.

jillmk
12-21-2006, 11:24 AM
Esther,
I'm sorry to hear about your family member. The store is unfortunately similar to my MIL's story.

I guess it depends how close they are and how the family member is doing? I think a nice card or a phone call would be perfect. If you want a gift, how about a blanket, or a movie? Some favorite music? Good luck, it is such a difficult thing.

megs4413
12-21-2006, 11:49 AM
a free month of netflix would be a good gift. he's probably not able to do much. gift cards to local restaurants or grocery stores are also good. definitely send a card....we appreciated all the cards we got when DH was sick....it was a nice pick me up, but wasn't stressful like handling a million phone calls. my love to your DH's family!