PDA

View Full Version : Question for Cat Lovers

Pennylane
12-21-2006, 03:38 PM
We had an adorable little cat show up at our front door about a week ago. This is the 3rd or 4th time I've seen her, but this time she was crying so hard I gave her some food. Long story short, she's been here ever since. My DD is in love with her and has already given her a name and I really have no problem keeping her.

I probably won't be able to get her to the vet until next week for a check up and to have her scanned for an ID chip. My question is, can you think of any reason I should not let her in my house? I checked her over for fleas and did not notice anything, so other than that? It is starting to get chilly where I live and I hate to see her outside. I made up a bed in a box for her. Would she be o.k in there if it gets really cold?

Thanks!

Ann

dules
12-21-2006, 03:49 PM
I'd take her in, as long as she appears healthy (i.e. no running eyes/nose, no obvious sores, etc.) and wait the week to go to the vet. If she exhibits any of those signs then maybe you could keep her in a basement, spare bathroom, etc. to at least keep her safe from the elements while you wait.

However, if the crying is from being in heat, well, it will be a long week for you to wait. :)

Congrats on your new friend!

Mary

babystuffbuff
12-21-2006, 04:08 PM
>>but this time she was crying so hard I gave her some food.

Oh, poor baby. I'm glad she found someone who was nice to her. :)

As a cat owner myself, I agree with the PP - as long as she doesn't have any signs of illness, just keep her warm and fed until you can get her to the doctor. Maybe if you have a useable basement you can put her down there, and close the basement door, just because a whole new big space can be overwhelming at first and you want to keep her a little contained at first. If you can't find any ID chip and can't find an owner (if she has one), then be sure to get her spayed.

Cats are wonderful - enjoy her! :)

Sarah

Auntie to my seven munchkins, and thinking about TTC a munchkin of our own :)

Pennylane
12-21-2006, 04:17 PM
Thank you both for your advice. I do not have a basement to put her in but could use the garage. I do have a dog though that is very interested in her, although I am 99% sure she would not hurt a fly :)

I did not notice any visible sores on her. Just crusty around the eyes and dirty ears.

Thanks again!

Ann

babystuffbuff
12-21-2006, 04:40 PM
Ann,

I would try to find someplace to keep the kitty, at least at night, away from the dog. Even a half bathroom that you could shut her in with some food, water, and litter. I would be worried that a) she and the dog might get into a scuffle for some reason or b) the cat might get into something you wouldn't want her into. Whenever I got a new cat, I would keep him/her in a separate room at night, until he/she got used to my other critters and got to know the "house rules".

As long as the garage isn't cold, that would work.....an indoor room might be better though.

Good luck!

Sarah

Auntie to my seven munchkins, and thinking about TTC a munchkin of our own :)

Fairy
12-21-2006, 04:46 PM
Definitely keep the new kitty away from your other pets until she is checked over by the vet and screened for illnesses you can't see, like FIV. Ear mites aren't always noticeable, but they spread from species to species like mad. Very important to keep the cat separate, even if it's just in a bathroom, but keep her warm and well-fed, and with a litter box in an accessible corner away from her sleeping area.

MommyAllison
12-21-2006, 06:49 PM
Ditto this. If you have an animal crate you could put a blanket, litter box, food and water in it and keep her in that. You definitely want to make sure she doesn't bring ear mites into your home!

Allison
Mama to DD 11/05

shilo
12-21-2006, 07:09 PM
kudo's for giving the kitty a warm shelter and some nibbles. have you posted a sign or two around your neighborhood just to make sure she isn't a lost pet? if the kitty is that healthy and not malnourished, it may have had a home and someone who might be missing it...

hope you get to keep her, she sounds like a friendly little purr-love.

lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

bubbaray
12-21-2006, 08:21 PM
Ditto what the others have said. I'm not a cat person (allergic), but I know that when you bring a new dog into a home where children live (and other pets for that matter), its important to check them for worms too. Its an easy stool test at the vet, takes a few minutes. I'd ask for that too. The crusty eyes would worry me somewhat, I'd probably keep her away from the dog until she gets a medical clearance!

I hope you get to keep her -- what a nice Christmas gift for both you and her! :)

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: c/s 01/2007

Saartje
12-21-2006, 11:17 PM
If you're considering TTC anytime soon, get tested for toxoplasmosis first. Contracting it even before conception can be very bad for baby — but there are drugs that can help prevent it from crossing the placental barrier. You're a lot more likely to get it from a cat who hasn't been vaccinated yet.

Congratulations on your new kitty. :)

candybomiller
12-22-2006, 11:43 AM
Congratulations on your new kitty!! As much as mine drive me crazy, I still love them to pieces.