PDA

View Full Version : Help me make bedtime more condusive to sleeping

LD92599
12-21-2006, 10:36 PM
We were making headway with sleeping but it's really getting to both DH & myself that DS won't sleep at a decent hour. He's at the point where he will sleep in his bed by himself, but only once we're all upstairs. At least we're past the point of him only sleeping in our room on the floor or in the hallway. And I can now read in bed without being pounced on constantly.

DH is mad that he can't watch our new TV - it's a 50" plasma mounted on the wall in the living room that DS can so conveniently watch from the landing upstairs at a nice angle. We just added DVR last week so that we can catch up on shows eventually, but the only time that DS is asleep is from 6am-8am most mornings.

I'm trying to keep the living room darker, quieter, etc so it's a little easier for DS to get to asleep and not feel as though he's missing stuff going on around him. I suggested to DH that we talk a little quieter and that didn't go over too well!

I know we need to establish a routine and it's been difficult getting it established because it seems like we're never home several nights in a row for one reason or another. I need to make the commitment to DS and myself that we're going into setting up a routine full throttle all next week (so far no plans to be out all week next week).

So, any ideas, suggestions, experience with getting a 3 1/2 year old..almost 4...to get himself to sleep? Or to play upstairs? We are creating a playroom out of our spare room in the next week, maybe that'll help? I could sooo kick myself for not getting into a routine from the get go at a very young age. We'd put him in his crib and he'd go to sleep! Easy! Now it's coming back to bite us in the ***.

When we suggest taking things away if he doesn't stay in bed he just hands the item(s) to us and says he doesn't want them anyway!

Oh, and the cursing....it's a whole 'nother post for a different forum. Though this might get moved!

Laura
Will is three and a half - we're now making progress with sleeping! Or are we?

deborah_r
12-22-2006, 12:37 AM
Laura,

I can only send you great sympathies! I have never had this battle, because we only have one bedroom and have never attempted to get Kai to sleep by himself. I have to lay with him while he falls asleep, then he is permanently crashed for the night, so I can get up if I want.

I hope you can figure something out - I know it must be so frustrating!

Momof3Labs
12-22-2006, 09:14 AM
Can you stay upstairs and be quiet for the short time (I hope!!!) it takes him to fall asleep, and then move downstairs to talk, watch tv, whatever?

ETA: Is he still taking his nap? I know that you said that he needed it, but I've read here over and over again that bedtime struggles are a sign that a preschooler is ready to drop that nap. You may not get anywhere with bedtime until he stops napping during the day (whether you wait until he's ready to stop napping, or stop it yourself).

bensmom
12-22-2006, 10:40 AM
Yup. That's our problem. DS1 goes to sleep way too late at night when he's been in daycare and napped during the day. On weekends, when he doesn't nap, it's much better. FWIW, he's almost 3.

lhk777
12-22-2006, 01:18 PM
We've had the same struggle but have been able to finally get DD (3.5) to sleep on her own at a decent hour.

She started out sleeping with us around 9 months until 2 yo when DD#2 arrived. Within the year she has started preschool and that seems to wear her out but I try not to let her take her daytime naps. By 7pm I can tell she is so tired. We usually give her a bath and put her PJ's on, brush her teeth, and read her a book. Then lights out.

If she doesn't want to sleep we let her to stay awake in her room. She isn't allowed to come out. She'll usually color or do a puzzle and then eventually get tired. I also dim the lights so it's not too bright in her room. That seemed to work for us. It took about 3-4 months for us to get into the 'routine'.

We live on a raised ranch style home so the bedrooms are on the main floor as the dining room/living room/kitchen. Once DD is alseep, DH and I get to do our own things (watch TV, laundry, clean up, organize, etc). The noise doesn't seem to bother her - but then again we wait until she is pretty konked out before we turn the TV on.

I'm sure every child/family is different - it just takes some time and patience.

HTH.

-Linda

LD92599
12-22-2006, 01:39 PM
Exactly - he naps in daycare but not on the weekends (when we can help it - but if we're out late afternoon he's out cold in the car!). Weekends are usually easier when it comes to bedtime.

Daycare won't drop the nap though i've been meaning to speak w/ the Director about it. I'll do that shortly when I pick him up today.

Laura
Will is three and a half - we're now making progress with sleeping!

bensmom
12-23-2006, 03:00 PM
I talked to the director yesterday about my DS. They're going to try giving him a book or two to read on his cot for an hour (nap time is 12:30-3) and then letting him fall asleep, to see if his nap gets a little shorter. I'm hoping that works :)

lisams
12-23-2006, 03:30 PM
I would try and get rid of the nap if you can. It made a huge difference with DD's sleep, and not just going to sleep but staying asleep through the night. It is sooooo worth it! Until we dropped the nap, nothing was working - we had the room really dark, noise machine on, nice calm bathtime, queit stories, etc and really they only worked if she was really tired enough to fall asleep.

I hope you guys are able to find something that works!! I think getting into a consistent routine is a great start!

LD92599
12-23-2006, 03:37 PM
Same here with daycare. I spoke to the Director yesterday and they'll see how to make this work!

Laura
Will is three and a half - we're now making progress with sleeping!