PDA

View Full Version : Toddler bed or big bed?

hillview
12-22-2006, 05:13 PM
DS is 18 months and about 2 days from climbing out of his crib. We are going bed shopping this weekend. Do we want to get a toddler bed or a big bed?

Toddler bed pros/cons
Pro
- less $
- smaller space taker upper
- CUTER

Con
- short life span
- no guest bed uses
- new bedding = $ (versus using some of our old bedding for now)

Money isn't a HUGE deal

WWYD? BTDT?
thanks!
/hillary

shishamo
12-22-2006, 06:02 PM
Can you get a used toddler bed? Those things have such short lifespan, it'll be perfect you can get it used.
I would say by the time they are 3 (or 4 if you are pushing), toddler bed is too small.

bcky2
12-22-2006, 07:38 PM
we just went with big boy beds for our boys and skipped the toddler beds. i figured they have a short life span and for us it wasnt worth spending the money just to have to get another bed 1-2 years later. we just put our second ds in his big boy bed this last week and it is pretty dang cute if i do say so myself ;)

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k271/frogandlily/IM000772.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k271/frogandlily/IM000773.jpg

Momof3Labs
12-22-2006, 09:38 PM
For an 18 month old, I'd just buy a crib tent. IMO, 18 months old is awfully young to have unlimited access to the house at night (or even their room, if you baby gate them in there). A crib tent will keep him safe, and then you can move him when you are both ready.

HHCs Mom
12-22-2006, 09:41 PM
I second the crib tent! DS is 2.5, will be 3 in April and still in his crib. He'll be moving to a big boy bed after Christmas so he can get used to it before baby #2 arrives. That's the *only* reason why he's moving out! :) A contained toddler is a good thing. ;)

Kim
~ mama to a sweet boy named Harrison ~ 4.6.04
...and #2 due 5.24.07!

nfowife
12-22-2006, 09:49 PM
I have a an almost 20 month old, and we just bought her upcoming little brother a new crib because I can't bear the thought of a) her being able to roam around her room or the rest of the house by herself; and b) losing any sleep that might come with transition to a new bed. My DD hasn't tried to climb out yet (and there have been a few nights recently where I've forgotten to put up the dropside- she so could have gotten out easily!) but if she did, I'd go for the crib tent for sure for a while until she was a bit more mature.

nfowife
12-22-2006, 09:49 PM
I have a an almost 20 month old, and we just bought her upcoming little brother a new crib because I can't bear the thought of a) her being able to roam around her room or the rest of the house by herself; and b) losing any sleep that might come with transition to a new bed. My DD hasn't tried to climb out yet (and there have been a few nights recently where I've forgotten to put up the dropside- she so could have gotten out easily!) but if she did, I'd go for the crib tent for sure for a while until she was a bit more mature.

dules
12-22-2006, 09:58 PM
We went straight to big girl bed and DD loves it. We got a full size and she adores her bed. But she was nearly 3 when we moved her.

Mary

dules
12-22-2006, 09:58 PM
We went straight to big girl bed and DD loves it. We got a full size and she adores her bed. But she was nearly 3 when we moved her.

Mary

bubbaray
12-22-2006, 10:03 PM
We went straight to a twin sized bed -- frame from Ikea. Not at 18m though. We thought DD was going to climb out about that stage, but didn't. She was a little over 2yrs when we moved her.

HTH

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: c/s 01/2007

bubbaray
12-22-2006, 10:03 PM
We went straight to a twin sized bed -- frame from Ikea. Not at 18m though. We thought DD was going to climb out about that stage, but didn't. She was a little over 2yrs when we moved her.

HTH

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: c/s 01/2007

sarahsthreads
12-22-2006, 10:27 PM
We *just* went through this - though at 26 months, so a little older. My parents have a low free-standing twin-sized bottom bunk bed (basically the top bunk was a separate loft) which we were considering using. Ultimately, we bought a lightly used toddler bed and mattress for $25 from someone in the local mom's club.

For us, there were no bedding costs - we're using the crib sheets and some of the several million blankets people gave us when DD was born. She barely keeps the blankets on, so top sheets are completely unnecessary IMO.

Two more pros for us were that 1) we can fit both the crib and the toddler bed in the room (DD hasn't completely transitioned yet), and 2) it has built in guardrails. I'm not completely comfortable with the mesh ones you attach sides of the bed, and I'm also not 100% sure that DD wouldn't fall out of bed, so I like having the wooden guardrails there.

I figure she'll get at least a year or two out of this before we switch to a twin or full size bed, and we're planning on having another baby or two one of these days, so for $25 it was definitely worth it to us.

You should definitely try to find one used - there were dozens on craigslist when I looked to see if the $ the mom was charging was reasonable. (And for a used wooden toddler bed with mattress in our area, it was.)

HTH!
Sarah :)

SnuggleBuggles
12-22-2006, 10:36 PM
Just wanted to say that I would keep an eye on things- he may not climb out that soon. I really thought ds was about ready to climb out at one point but he didn't and we got at least another full year out of the crib. One time he did climb out but it was a fluke and he never duplicated it.

I would get a twin bed if your crib doesn't transform to a toddler bed (does the side come off)? But only if he climbs out more than once. He may do it once, get scared and not do it again. he's pretty little. I hope you can squeeze more crib time in there- it's much easier!

Beth

drsweetie
12-23-2006, 10:35 AM
DD had a convertible crib, so we just took off the drop side and she still sleeps there. Is that an option for you guys?

Ellen

mommyto4
12-23-2006, 01:13 PM
I would go with a crib tent too. I just would not feel good about one that little being able to rome around the house at night. Also, if they can get out of their bed, many time it is hard to keep them in it long enough for them to fall asleep.

o_mom
12-23-2006, 01:19 PM
I would get a Crib Tent II. 18 mos is very young to be safe in a big bed (toddler or otherwise). We waited until DS1 was over 3 and the transition has been very smooth - he is old enough to understand staying in bed. No hour-long bedtimes, etc.

If you are getting a bed, though, I would just get a twin mattress at this point and put it on the floor. That way she won't fall out very far. We have a toddler bed for DS1 but only because I got it used, super cheap from a relative and we are putting the boys in the same room. Otherwise I would have looked at either a twin or even a full size bed.

caleymama
12-23-2006, 01:46 PM
Just wanted to say that both of my DC were in beds by 18 months, the first because she wanted to and the second because she had climbed out of the crib. We didn't like the idea of the crib tent and both were potty training so it was nice for them to be able to get to the bathroom easily. We started both in a toddler bed but only because we got a secondhand one from family. If we hadn't had one given to us we would have moved right to a regular bed. DD#1 moved quickly to a double bed and DD#2 moved even more quickly to a twin bed (no side bed rails for either). They were both fine. At the very beginning - the first couple of days - they goofed around a bit before naps and bedtime (naps, especially) but pretty quickly got the hang of staying in bed. We spent a lot of time visiting my parents this summer when DD#2 was transitioning and she did fine in the regular twin bed there - it was actually there that she first climbed out of the crib and where we put her in a twin bed instead. She wasn't in a toddler bed until we came home.

Anyway, if a crib tent appeals to you that would certainly be a good option. I think you could go either way with a toddler bed. Just wanted to provide you with a positive story of 2 early transitions to beds. Good luck with your decision!

wolverine2
12-23-2006, 02:46 PM
If you do want him to stay in longer, but don't like the crib tent, you could also keep them in a sleep sack. DS is 2, and physically could climb over, but I don't worry about it at night because he's in a sleep sack and it would be pretty impossible. There are big sleep sacks out there.

lisams
12-23-2006, 03:58 PM
We kept the twin size boxspring/mattress set on the floor for about 6 months and then got her a bed frame. We mainly skipped the toddler bed just because it felt kind of like a waste of money.

hillview
12-23-2006, 05:56 PM
Thanks all! I think we will try the sleep sacks (we have 2 of them -- toddler size) that we haven't used yet. I have now been talked out of the toddler bed. DS is 35 inches long (off the charts) and so sounds like he'd outgrow the toddler bed quickly. Also hadn't thought of a crib tent (have to see what they are) plan c will be a twin mattress on the floor.

THANKS!
/hillary