PDA

View Full Version : flying with DS with double ear infections; BTDT????

Hippoharbor
12-22-2006, 05:34 PM
I am sorry for not researching through previous posts for this answer as I am certain it has been addressed before. However, we are flying tomorrow morning and I am really pushed for time right now. He was diagnosed with ear infection in both ears on Tuesday and has been doing fairly well sleeping and during the day. However, since awaking from nap today, he has been so fussy and pointed to one of his ears.
He is on antibiotics and they gave me numbing drops. What else do I need to do?
Which seems to work better: Tylenol or motrin? MD's office suggested giving him tylenol one hour prior to flight.
Has anyone's kids' eardrums ruptured while flying with an ear infection?

Thanks,
Michelle

bunnisa
12-22-2006, 07:05 PM
I'd buy some "Ear Planes" which are earplugs that help with the pressure changes. I know they come in child sizes, although I haven't seen those at the regular stores.

hth somewhat...

hannah
12-22-2006, 07:13 PM
I flew in August with DD (23 mo) who had a double ear infection. She didn't have any problems. I gave her motrin when we got on the plane (about 1/2 hour before flight) and then I put the numbing drops in her ears and she seemed to do just fine. I made sure she had a sippy to drink when we were descending to help with ear popping. Her eardrums did not rupture when flying with an ear infection.
Good luck!

Tondi G
12-22-2006, 07:34 PM
My ear drums ruptured while on a flight as a child! My mom said it was the worst experience she had EVER! I had bad ears and went through tubes, tonsils and adenoids out etc. My ENT told my after the surgery that anytime I flew to use afrin nasal spray (20mins before take off and landing (if it was over a 4 hour flight) to reduce any inflammation before the pressure changes!

I would at least get some saline and do some drops before take off and landing! I would also give him a dose of dimatapp or a decongestant! Tylenol is a pain reliever and lasts 4 to 6 hrs, while motrin is an anti-inflammatory that lasts 6 to 8 hours. I would go with the Motrin!

Another thought for you would be garlic oil drops in his ears! Take fresh garlic cloves and crush it a bit to release the juice in a small ammt of olive oil. warm it in a pan then let it cool. strain it and put a drop or two in each ear! I know people who sware by it! You can buy something like this too

http://www.allstarhealth.com/f/herbs_for_kids-willow-garlic_ear_oil.htm

Hippoharbor
12-22-2006, 07:42 PM
I have never heard of those. So, plugging the ears with plugs helps with pressure changes? I have some adult-size ones that I can try for tomorrow. Thanks

Hippoharbor
12-22-2006, 07:43 PM
That is encouraging. Thanks

Hippoharbor
12-22-2006, 07:44 PM
I will consider the decongestant. Thank you.

alleyoop
12-22-2006, 09:39 PM
I don't know if this helps, but you can give Motrin and Tylenol together safely. Depending on the length of the flight, I might give Tylenol one hour prior and Motrin three hours later.

Good Luck,

nfowife
12-22-2006, 09:51 PM
My ped. also said benadryl helps with the ear pressure (and added side benefit, makes lots of kids sleepy!). You can give it with tylenol or motrin too.

nfowife
12-22-2006, 09:51 PM
My ped. also said benadryl helps with the ear pressure (and added side benefit, makes lots of kids sleepy!). You can give it with tylenol or motrin too.

bunnisa
12-23-2006, 04:01 PM
>I have never heard of those. So, plugging the ears with
>plugs helps with pressure changes? I have some adult-size
>ones that I can try for tomorrow. Thanks
>

They're not actually "plugs", but rather plugs with a hole in them - they help equalize the pressure.

I wouldn't use regular ear plugs, per se.

I've seen Ear Planes at Walmart, Target, Walgreen's, etc over by the Airborne and related travel stuff.

...blessed wife and mama to two!

"And children are always a good thing, devoutly to be wished for and fiercely to be fought for."
-Justin Torres